Board logo

Help with fitting oil cooler to 1600 Xflow
GaryM - 22/8/15 at 10:18 AM

Hi Guys

I would like to fit an oil cooler to my xflow book locost and would really appreciate some advice from those that have been there before me.

In particular, i'd be very interested in:

1. The best placement/method of attachment for the oil rad.
2. Whether anyone else has used an oil thermostat in the plumbing.
3. Whether anyone else has used a remote filter housing in the plumbing.
4. What type of hoses are best to use.

Cheers
Gary

rusty nuts - 22/8/15 at 11:04 AM

I used a thermostatic take off with the filter in the original position , the cooler itself is mounted behind the rad,in front may have been better but it works. I mounted the cooler in position then took the car to a mate who is a hydraulics engineer to get the hoses made to measure after fitting the take off

cliftyhanger - 22/8/15 at 05:16 PM

I have a remote filter on my zetec install. Nice and simple, all the bits off mattyzx (or similar) on ebay, decent supplier.
I have also installed oil coolers on cars....

Pretty essential to fit a thermostat, cold oil is very bad news. neatest method is indeed a thermostat in the take off plate.
Position of cooler depends on installation, but basically somewhere with decent airflow and safe from debris.

hoses, by good quality branded stuff, never unbranded braided or otherwise. Think automotive are good, aeroquip hoses are excellent. I used nissan hose. Apparently over £100 a 2m length! but it is industrial/forlift stuff, and looks no different to unbranded basic hose (except this is VERY good)