Board logo

AWD Quattro platform doner for project.
KFC - 30/11/15 at 11:37 AM

Hi all,
I'm coming to the end of my V6 swap in my RX8 and I'm already thinking about the next project. Would be nice to do a Quattro platform, not the transversed layout but the longitudinal engine with later gearbox that the drive flanges are close to the split line. A V6 or a 5 cyl turbo, I don't want to do so many mods to the engine systems this time, far too much time involved, although I've enjoyed the challenge.
What's your thought? Or should I just buy a TT Quattro?

nick205 - 30/11/15 at 01:12 PM

Interesting idea, but I'm sure there are cheaper cars than the TT with what you need.

perksy - 30/11/15 at 02:53 PM

Replica SWB Audi Quattro Sport

iirc there's a chap on Uphillracers.com doing one at the moment

KFC - 30/11/15 at 03:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Interesting idea, but I'm sure there are cheaper cars than the TT with what you need.

Ah sorry, I meant the TT instead of a project. It's a hell of a job and I would definitely have a break before I start another job, hmmm, probably 3 months. Ha ha.

Adamirish - 30/11/15 at 03:35 PM

Don't bother with a tt. They are one of most boring, uninvolved cars I have ever driven.

A project keeps the mind ticking over! The sound of a hot 5cyl turbo is worth the effort itself!

nick205 - 30/11/15 at 04:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by KFC
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

Ah sorry, I meant the TT instead of a project. It's a hell of a job and I would definitely have a break before I start another job, hmmm, probably 3 months. Ha ha.

Sorry - misread the first post!

I'd still look at something other than a TT personally - A Leon 20VT goes well and should be cheaper as well.

nick205 - 30/11/15 at 04:56 PM

In fact I'd go as far as saying Seat whipped VW's backside with the Leon, better IMHO than a Golf.

KFC - 30/11/15 at 06:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Adamirish
Don't bother with a tt. They are one of most boring, uninvolved cars I have ever driven.

A project keeps the mind ticking over! The sound of a hot 5cyl turbo is worth the effort itself!

My thinking is.... I really like the way the Mazda RX8 feels to drive, I can't wait till my V6 one is finished and just get to enjoy it. I know I'll be thinking when driving it, I could use more traction in the wet, which it is wet a lot in this country. I was thinking, how cool would an AWD RX8 be?? I am talking about the longitudinal engine layout.
The questions are, what engine and gearbox? Older Quattro vs newer Quattro? The newer gearbox would drastically bring the engine back so it doesn't kill the handling. Rear diff matching front diff/gearbox, suspension from doner A4? Design and fab up sub frame? Loads of stuff!

Adamirish - 30/11/15 at 06:44 PM

An awd rx8 would be different though I don't think it would do the handling any favours. After all, that is the mazda's party piece. Personally if I was going to all that effort then I would keep it rwd, 5cyl turbo, lots of boost and worry about the handling after!

KFC - 30/11/15 at 09:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Adamirish
An awd rx8 would be different though I don't think it would do the handling any favours. After all, that is the mazda's party piece. Personally if I was going to all that effort then I would keep it rwd, 5cyl turbo, lots of boost and worry about the handling after!

Hmm, I like the volvo 5 cyl 2.3L turbo engine, all aluminium! I do agree about the handling, I think I would have to drive mine to see if it's going to be tail happy or not. The V6 sits behind the front axle line so it will be very pointy! I just believe that when you have more than 300bhp at the rear wheels, traction becomes a problem, restricting systems to to keep the wheels from spinning. I once owned a TT 3.2 quattro, it had bloody amazing grip in all conditions. I also had a Fiat Coupe 2.0 turbo, uprated power to 285bhp, even with good tyres, it still spun the wheels a bit in 2nd gear in the dry. Just a comparison.
It's all quite interesting to see if the idea could work though.