Board logo

x flow rebuild
ianminki - 20/5/16 at 01:36 PM

hi all
Looking for some help with a 1600cc x flow rebuild . I have just got me self this engine and a 4 speed box to go with it I have taken the engine apart as I know it needed rebuilding to which I found the following things that needs sorting out (all of it) my mane concern is the cylinder bore's . I don't think it needs a re bore but not sure how to do the measuring up and don't have the tools to do that . I live in Scunthorpe and if anybody lives near bye that could give me a little help and advice that would be grate .beer tokens and a bacon butty at the ready regards ian

02GF74 - 20/5/16 at 02:39 PM

can you feel a ridge on the bore at the top of the piston travel? if not then you can risk it by just honing the bores - by hand using fine wet'n'dry approx. 400 to leave a diagonal pattern. (someone will pop along saying that is not the way to do it but this is late 60s engine so it'll be fine; modern engines have much finer tolerances)

to measure properly you need bore gauge - not too expensive on ebay or other method is to put in a piston ring and measure the gap using feeler gauge (it assumes ring has not been trimmed down).

rusty nuts - 20/5/16 at 06:32 PM

Any decent engine reconditioning workshop would be able to measure your bores for peanuts, From past experience just replacing the piston rings is likely to be a waste of time and money .

macc man - 21/5/16 at 07:50 AM

Have you considered a zetec engine instead. Cheap as chips and far more power. Engine rebuilds can get expensive done properly. Just a thought.

ianminki - 22/5/16 at 01:02 PM

hi all
thanks for your reply's will look into that. and yes I did look at a modern engine but not to sure about the rwd conversion I am no mechanic but did play with the x flow's In my younger day's (just no good with mathematical side of things or electrics on the modern engines) and would just like to put the little car back to the engine it was made for. I don't race so power not a big issue
regards ian