Board logo

Ford / Jaguar V6 Engine into a 944
r1_pete - 8/7/16 at 03:06 PM

I'm mulling over fitting a Jag/Ford V6 into my 944, maybe over next winter, the existing engine is canted over to the right, and the crank is central, plus I've seen US V8s in them, so there's plenty of room.

I don't want to commit too much cash to it right now, I do have a spare 944 bell housing and torque tube, and was thinking about starting making a converter plate.

Question is does the V6 have a metal splash guard between the engine and gearbox? if it does, I'm thinking I could get hold of one, for the outline and bolt patterns for the engine.....

40inches - 8/7/16 at 04:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete

Question is does the V6 have a metal splash guard between the engine and gearbox? if it does, I'm thinking I could get hold of one, for the outline and bolt patterns for the engine.....

Yes, an ally one about 3mm thick. I got all my parts from Autoreserve at Alfreton, they are also on eBay

r1_pete - 8/7/16 at 04:27 PM

Cheers Dave, I'll get in touch with them...

tr7v8 - 8/7/16 at 06:14 PM

I'd adapt the jag bell housing to the TT. Plenty of info on the web for the LS1 conversion including a drawing of the torque tube input.
This V6 has Porsche history so not a completely alien engine.

r1_pete - 8/7/16 at 08:03 PM

That would work I guess.

I'll see what bellhousings are available for little money.

S Type jag is the only rwd configuration i know of, are any of the Mazdas Rwd

gregs - 8/7/16 at 08:16 PM

Just be aware that the Jag sump sticks out significantly at the front - i've seen mondeo sumps used instead but not sure what the baffling is like for a North/South install...

40inches - 9/7/16 at 09:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by gregs
Just be aware that the Jag sump sticks out significantly at the front - i've seen mondeo sumps used instead but not sure what the baffling is like for a North/South install...

X-Type sump works fine for rear drive configuration, or cut out the front of the S-type sump and re-plate.
The Jag sumps hold 6.5litres, the engine oil in mine runs at about 50 degrees normal to 65 degrees with hard use, without the oil cooler.

Badger_McLetcher - 10/7/16 at 12:05 PM

Also if you use the X-Type sump you need the X-type pickup or to mod the S-type one

samjc - 10/7/16 at 01:58 PM

Iv got a duretec v6 from a mondeo, not sure if the jag plates similar but the ali plate is sat in my garage if youd like to borrow it if of use.