Board logo

RX8 Gearbox Opinions
Plunky - 9/5/17 at 05:24 PM

Hello all,
As I need to pull the engine to do some work on the car, I have been debating to replace the type 9 box with an RX8 box.
I quite like the idea of a closer ratio 6 speed box, and also future proofing the car a bit as it appears type 9s are becoming quite hard to get hold of and are fetching decent money.
What are people's thoughts/experiences in using the RX8 box?
My two questions would be a. where to get the conversion plate to mate the gearbox to the engine and b. where to get the prop modified or utilise the RX8 carbon prop somehow?
Cheers,
Liam

fesycresy - 9/5/17 at 06:03 PM

First gear would probably be useless, but the rest should be spot on.

Will it fit through? I thought F27's were quite narrow?

RX8 Plates on Facebook for the adaptor and Dunning and Fairbank for the prop. But I'm sure there are local companies to you that can sort the prop.

Plunky - 9/5/17 at 06:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by fesycresy
First gear would probably be useless, but the rest should be spot on.

Will it fit through? I thought F27's were quite narrow?

RX8 Plates on Facebook for the adaptor and Dunning and Fairbank for the prop. But I'm sure there are local companies to you that can sort the prop.

My F27 is the widebody variant.
I didn't think there was much difference in size between the type 9 and RX8 gearbox?

Davelarcs - 9/5/17 at 08:29 PM

I'm intending to use rx8 box, got my adaptor plate of a guy on eBay, fits very well, the prop was made by BAR props of Neath, £160 all in.
I haven't got as far as clutch set up yet

SPYDER - 9/5/17 at 09:45 PM

RX8 v Type 9

I have the IS200 variant of the AZ6 6 speed in my 3SGE engined car. The ratios are slightly different but broadly the same.
1st gear is a bit low but I still use it. I have a 3.62 diff and 15" wheels. On 13" wheels 1st gear might become useless.
The other 5 gears are superbly well spaced. I had to make a remote system to move the lever forwards in my car.
AFAIK You can use your type 9 prop with the RX8 box but you have to change the rear oil seal. This can be a bit of a bodge, by all accounts, hence most people have a new prop made.

Plunky - 10/5/17 at 06:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Davelarcs
I'm intending to use rx8 box, got my adaptor plate of a guy on eBay, fits very well, the prop was made by BAR props of Neath, £160 all in.
I haven't got as far as clutch set up yet

Did you get your original prop modified with the RX8 gearbox end or have the carbon prop shortened?
How much did they charge you if you don't mind me asking?

timdave25 - 12/5/17 at 09:15 AM

I have seen some RX8 boxed on ebay selling with slave and knuckle. Are they worth getting for a seven install?