Board logo

reverse gear on output shaft
nick9one1 - 16/7/19 at 07:55 PM

Due to my build being rear engined and RWD, I have no space for a reverse gear on the main driveshaft - The diff is bolted directly to the engine.

Would there be any harm in having the reverse drive powering one of the driveshafts directly?

russbost - 17/7/19 at 07:08 AM

Can't see any reason why it would present a problem, I've driven a few vehicles over the years with just one rear wheel being driven instead of both, it doesn't feel very much different, so for reverse to satisfy IVA should be fine

minitici - 17/7/19 at 07:35 AM

Gearing may be a problem as you will not have the reduction of the differential if you fit a gear directly to the drive shaft.

russbost - 17/7/19 at 07:49 AM

Reverse on the Furore (& other chain driven cars) is after the diff reduction, ie direct to the "axle", whether it drives one shaft or both isn't going to make any difference. It does require a fair diameter of driven gear, but I'm only using a standard Toyota starter motor to drive it

minitici - 17/7/19 at 01:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by russbost
Reverse on the Furore (& other chain driven cars) is after the diff reduction, ie direct to the "axle", whether it drives one shaft or both isn't going to make any difference. It does require a fair diameter of driven gear, but I'm only using a standard Toyota starter motor to drive it

OP sounds like he is driving into a conventional differential - would be best if he could fit a gear onto the input flange of the differential.

nick9one1 - 17/7/19 at 01:51 PM

I'm using a zzr1100 engine and a freelander diff.

Unfortunately, there is no room at all between the diff and engine.

[Edited on 17/7/19 by nick9one1]

Dingz - 17/7/19 at 04:01 PM

How about one of those caravan movers rubbing on a back wheel, would that be allowed? If you had room.

russbost - 17/7/19 at 04:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by minitici
quote:
Originally posted by russbost

OP sounds like he is driving into a conventional differential - would be best if he could fit a gear onto the input flange of the differential.

Doesn't matter how he's driving the diff, my point was that driving just one shaft isn't a problem, I only gave the example of the chain drive diff as they have no reduction with the reverse sprocket directly on the axle

nick9one1 - 18/7/19 at 02:31 PM

thanks for the replies.

I'll go ahead with the single driveshaft driven reverse.

nick9one1 - 18/7/19 at 02:31 PM

thanks for the replies.

I'll go ahead with the single driveshaft driven reverse.