Board logo

hot hand brake and gearstick
AlexXtreme - 24/7/19 at 11:54 AM

I hope I am asking a stupid question here ..
With my Type 5 gearbox mounted to a zetec that by gearstick I am noticing that my gearstick is getting warmer that usual even after a 12 mile run through speed restricted motorway. This is not just today but over the last few months of admittedly slightly warmer weather (though it is not that warm in the morning!). Yesterday I did a short trip across Southampton with some traffic though not much stationary at max 30mph and both the handbrake and the gearstick were more that just warm to the touch - they were hot!
Is it just the weather or is my imagination playing tricks as I can not remember noticing this before..
I would ignore this but I have a long (for me!) drive to the Silverstone Classic this weekend (is anyone else going?) and do not want to breakdown!

rusty nuts - 24/7/19 at 12:04 PM

Is your exhaust in the tunnel?

AlexXtreme - 24/7/19 at 12:10 PM

No I have a side exhaust

theduck - 24/7/19 at 12:11 PM

Have you got any vents/routes for hot under bonnet air to escape? if not, my guess would be it is getting hot because all the hot under bonnet air is going up the transmission tunnel.

AlexXtreme - 24/7/19 at 12:35 PM

you are right I have no venting at all!
so basically I should keep moving faster and not worry about it ;-)!

[Edited on 24/7/19 by AlexXtreme]

[Edited on 24/7/19 by AlexXtreme]

adithorp - 24/7/19 at 01:04 PM

Probably due to higher anbiant temps and hot air from the rad. Mine gets occasionally so hot in extream temps (Spain at 44c last month) that I've had to wear the wash mitt' I keep in the car to wipe the screen, when using the handbrake. If you've got full floor that'll make it worse

AlexXtreme - 24/7/19 at 04:27 PM

thanks and what you say makes sense.. I do not think there is much are flow in this area especially when I am running slowly in traffic.

Mr Whippy - 25/7/19 at 09:04 AM

Probably just the sun shining on it...

AlexXtreme - 25/7/19 at 10:20 AM

It's not that.. It gets hotter and hotter straight from the garage

strongrb - 25/7/19 at 02:31 PM

I agree with the duck, heat from rad, donk, box, exhaust manifold, etc is going to the rear via the tunnel. Suggest fit vents on hood & make sure fuel tank is insulated from this heat. Also if tailshaft is covered underneath, remove this. Standard production cars do not have the tailshaft covered. Ps: the temperatures you are experiencing right now are what we in Australia used to get. Our summer temps are lower these days, whilst are increasing. Oh! Just remember there is no global warming, lol

AlexXtreme - 25/7/19 at 03:59 PM

the tunnel is open and not closed off.. I do not have any venting from under the hood / bonnet as it would not look at all right for the moulding (it is a Ginetta G27). I think you are right that it is just the heat finding the easiest way out through the exhaust tunnel when there is not much air flow at slow speeds.