Board logo

how do I find out if my donor Sierra uses unleaded?
Mr Whippy - 5/10/20 at 04:31 PM

Hi,

Tried in vain to download the owners manual. I'm trying to find out if my 92 Sierra 1.6 pinto is already suitable for unleaded. My 92 Bluebirds were so I'd have thought so but how do I check?

Thanks

obfripper - 5/10/20 at 04:46 PM

They were all unleaded ok from 89 onward, the timing may need adjusting for unleaded but that has most likely been done.

Dave

steve m - 5/10/20 at 05:18 PM

I am sure there was a mark on the head on Pintos, might be worth googling it
As trhe head could of been changed, and may not be an unleaded one

steve

Dingz - 5/10/20 at 05:54 PM

https://www.rhocar.org/index.php?/forums/topic/48593-16-pinto-cylinderhead-unleaded/&tab=comments#comment-399531
Look at this link on the Rhocar site it should answer your question. It’s been covered lots of times on there, use the search system but you may have to try a few options.

[Edited on 5/10/20 by Dingz]

snapper - 5/10/20 at 06:50 PM

All engines produced after 01/89 are suitable for use with unleaded fuel. For all other engines, an identification mark (adjacent to No 4 spark plug) must be present to designate suitability for unleaded. These are:
* 1.6 - M, MM or N, NN
* 1.8 - S, SS
* 2.0 - P, PP or R, RR

Mr Whippy - 5/10/20 at 06:51 PM

Cheers its definitely the original head as the donor has only done 13.5k. The head is marked with a 92 so it is the same year. At the back of the head on a flat, that people say is the letter that tells you it is marked with a N, but I can't find that one. The engine as you can expect is mint inside so not keen on splitting the head of just to check.

Tried the search on the RHOCAR, can't find anything normally on it..

Mr Whippy - 5/10/20 at 06:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by snapper
All engines produced after 01/89 are suitable for use with unleaded fuel. For all other engines, an identification mark (adjacent to No 4 spark plug) must be present to designate suitability for unleaded. These are:
* 1.6 - M, MM or N, NN
* 1.8 - S, SS
* 2.0 - P, PP or R, RR

Ah well done, you must have been typing that at the same time so yes it definitely has a big N at that location.

Thanks very much