Board logo

Zetec Catch Can, Again
the_big_1 - 21/3/21 at 07:47 PM

Hi guys,

Not sure what's happened but the search function doesn't appear to work since the outage?
Any way, I have a 2.0l zetec build and up to the oil catch can part.
So I have an adaptoer plate on the block, outlet on the rocker cover.
Most catch cans have an inlet and outlet as well as the breather.
Is it a simple case of the inlet is connected to the rocker, outlet to the block? Looking at baffled versions too?

Cheers all!

simon04 - 21/3/21 at 10:05 PM

Ive just fitted a simple oil catch can to my striker running a zetec.
Pipe from rocker, pipe from crancase
although the catch can says in and out they both go into the chamber which mine is then vented via a small filter on the top of it

This was the ebay number 173727362404

cheap easy to fit seems to do the job

the_big_1 - 21/3/21 at 10:09 PM

Hi ya,

That's what I was looking at. I guess the only thing I looked at is one inlet is through the baffle, the other isn't, if that makes a difference?

snapper - 22/3/21 at 08:41 AM

300 ml is a small can and so is 6mm inlets, 10mm is still small but depends on how your engine is breathing (rings are the main cause of blow by)

My Pintos breath hard and I have 13mm on the 2.1 130 bhp & 16mm on the 2.1 170+ bhp on 1L vented baffled tank

big_wasa - 22/3/21 at 11:43 AM

With a plain plate on the block some people have found it pushes oil up the pipe work.

My current set up has large ring gaps so has plenty of breathing. With a drain back to the block that also acts as a breather while running.

the_big_1 - 22/3/21 at 12:08 PM

Hi ya,

Does that mean you have a catch can with a bottom exit to the block and top inlet to the cam cover?

simon04 - 22/3/21 at 09:07 PM

I think if your filling 300ml quickly then you need another engine
the inlet sizes are fine as its only catching vapours and a bit of mist maybe

Its 20 odd quid and i rekon you will be fine with it
as i say if it fills then you have issues
Plus if you buy a litre or bigger and its filling just think how long it might be before you realise

Im happy with mine on my new crate engie zetec
my brother inlaw has one on 50k zetec and hes not got much more than a few drips in his

As always though its your choice