Board logo

Crossflow starter motor upgrade
Stevestriker750 - 21/7/21 at 11:54 AM

Has anyone upgraded to a faster spinning motor at all?
Mine turns over very slow at times although battery is good

Sam_68 - 21/7/21 at 12:28 PM

Yeah, I fitted a geared starter motor to my old Crossflow Sylva (which used to be a pig to start, due to high compression and competition distributor with no vacuum advance).

It worked well.

Stevestriker750 - 21/7/21 at 03:57 PM

That's the same issue with mine. I think I do need a new battery also as it wouldn't start when fan was running from ignition.

Did you update battery too?

Any links for starter thst you fitted?

Many thanks

Sam_68 - 21/7/21 at 08:12 PM

It's a while ago now, but I'm pretty sure it was an Edge starter motor, bought via Burtons.

I'd been down the route of changing battery changing/checking connections and earth cables before I resorted to it, but those had made little difference - the standard starter just didn't have the guts to turn the engine over against the amount of static advance I was running.

The geared starter motor cured the problem on its own - simple as that.

Stevestriker750 - 21/7/21 at 09:33 PM

Thank you Sam...

I'll have a look at what you've suggested and hopefully find one

Westy1994 - 22/7/21 at 12:29 AM

You may chose to sort out the problem at source and fit a mapped dizzy instead, far cheaper than a starter, battery and whatever else may be needed. Best single item I ever fitted.

[Edited on 22/7/21 by Westy1994]

procomp - 22/7/21 at 10:27 AM

I supply these to a lot of the racers with lthe X FLOW or PINTO engines fitted. prices from £165. small light.

Ill try upload pics if interested.

Stevestriker750 - 22/7/21 at 10:37 AM

Yes please mate

procomp - 22/7/21 at 11:41 AM

Hi i cant get a pic loaded up on here no matter what i try but the U2U is not responding either.

Give me a call / txt on 078 25 54 42 54 and i send a pic via phone.

Cheers Matt

Mr Whippy - 23/7/21 at 02:25 PM

Have you checked all the connections are good, and the cables are of sufficient gauge and to the minimum length? Does the engine have a good earth lead and path back to the battery? These are all the things I'd check before paying out for a more powerful starter.