Board logo

I love my Xflow but is it time for a change?
GaryM - 10/5/22 at 05:27 AM

I really love my 1600 Xflow but increasingly I’m thinking about changing to something more modern.

It fits nicely in the engine compartment of a Stuart Taylor bonnet height Locost (without the need for a bonnet bulge) and it’s great that there is a wealth of knowledge about this engine on this and other sites but Increasingly I find myself thinking that there might be a more modern 4 pot unit with similar power and similar dimensions, that I could (preferably) mate to my T9 gearbox.

Any suggestions would be appreciated?

Cheers
Gary

David Jenkins - 10/5/22 at 07:13 AM

The one I always fancied was the Toyota 4-AGE as it was a fairly compact unit, and quite powerful, but even that's long in the tooth these days.

Modern engines, and all their ancillaries, take a lot of space. Also, you'll have to make sure that the exhaust comes out the same side as the X-flow, otherwise you'll have a lot of bodywork to sort out.

[Edited on 10/5/22 by David Jenkins]

peter030371 - 10/5/22 at 09:40 AM

I always thought the Zetec SE(Sigma) looks like a good choice for a lower cc engine. Caterham used them for a period after they phased out the x-flow. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Sigma_engine

Possibly not so easy to find now although spares/upgrade parts are still very easy to get. Like the x-flow lots of knowledge about getting the most out of them. Should also be lighter than the x-flow and as we all know 'Adding power makes you faster on the straights; subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere'

SJ - 10/5/22 at 12:26 PM

You can still get Zetecs pretty cheap, though 1.8s tend to be more available and cheaper. Cracking engine and bolts up to the type 9. You can sort induction / ignition fairly cheaply and exhaust manifolds aren't too expensive.

coyoteboy - 11/5/22 at 08:11 AM

Get a bell-housing adapter and whap a G16E-GTS in there.

nickm - 11/5/22 at 06:13 PM

Hi
I have a Zetec SE 1.6 it is very light when it was in the way i would just pick it up complete with the pallet it came on and move it to the opposite end of the garage.
A few years ago now bought brand new from Powertorque it was just short of 4 figs and came with a clutch.
Had it rolling roaded and tuned up last friday and it made 148bhp with Jenvey throttle bodies and phase 2 road cams. My Sylva J15 weighs 514kg and i attribute a lot of that lightness to the engine. Exhaust would exit to the right/driver side.
The only problem i have with it is the 1.7 Zetec SE is probably even better with VVT !

Nick M

monkeyarms - 12/5/22 at 08:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nickm

The only problem i have with it is the 1.7 Zetec SE is probably even better with VVT !

Nick M

The 1.7 Has VCT variable cam timing, not VVT

Pound for pound, I think the 1.7 is a cracking engine in OEM form in a kit.

nickm - 12/5/22 at 06:52 PM

Hi Monkeyarms

Might well be but i have a phobia about cams now after changing them this winter ! doesnt help when you find out that your zetec se isnt quite the same as the Fiesta Mk 4 so buy a Focus manual to find out its similar but from a galaxy in between the 2 manuals but its been rroaded and the cambelts still on !!i

You going to Newark in July ?

Nick M

monkeyarms - 13/5/22 at 06:36 AM

Hi Nick
Unfortunately my kit car days are behind me now, my car hasn't run for 3 years, in fact I am trying to get it sorted for an MOT at the moment. Then it will be up for sale. So far it only needs new fuel hoses and after a new battery it started fine and runs ok.

DH2 - 14/5/22 at 03:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nickm
A few years ago now bought brand new from Powertorque it was just short of 4 figs and came with a clutch.
Had it rolling roaded and tuned up last friday and it made 148bhp with Jenvey throttle bodies and phase 2 road cams.

Sigma is a great engine. I've got one fully rebuilt up (in my kitchen) to 180bhp spec.
It's up for sale soon, but I've put a number of 4 figures into it!

Dave