Board logo

Gudgeon Pins and Cracked Pistons?
oliwb - 2/1/07 at 09:34 PM

If I remove the gudgeon pin thus seperating the piston and conrod can I re-use the old gudgeon pins or do I need to buy new ones? Also two of my pistons have scores in the crowns. I'll try and take a pic tomorrow and post it but should I try to get new ones in case its really a crack??? Cheers Oli.

ch1ll1 - 2/1/07 at 09:37 PM

im sure they should be sweated on,
what zetec is it? but that might just be the 2.l black top
as for using old im not sure

jollygreengiant - 3/1/07 at 05:03 AM

Buy a piston and you normally get a free matched gudgeon pin with it. They come as a pair normally. And I believe they are a press fit.

oliwb - 3/1/07 at 09:32 AM

They are, I'm sure, a press fit. Does that mean I can't re-use them then? I'll get a pic of the piston crown. Don't really want to go to all this effort and have a piston split in two! Oli.

paulf - 3/1/07 at 10:46 AM

The pin is a tight fit in the rod and the piston rotates around it.To press them out you will require a press and a fixture to locate the piston against .This could be a bit of tube big enough to allow the gudgeon pin to fit in and shaped to fit the piston like a veeblock on the end. It needs to be a good match to the piston and have no sharp edges to avoid damaging the piston.
If reusing the original pistons it is fine to refit them with the original pins , just make sure they are kept together and fitted the same way as they came out.
Paul.

quote:
Originally posted by oliwb
They are, I'm sure, a press fit. Does that mean I can't re-use them then? I'll get a pic of the piston crown. Don't really want to go to all this effort and have a piston split in two! Oli.

[Edited on 3/1/07 by paulf]