Board logo

valve clearance on kent
stretch - 7/12/07 at 08:38 AM

on my kent, i've added a adjustable cam gear and adjusted the cam timing a bit

do i set the valve clearance at TDC for the crank, or TDC for the cam?

what would he results of this be, cause surely the maximum valve lift is no longer at TDC on the crank?

RichieW - 7/12/07 at 09:21 AM

You adjust the clearances when the valves are rocking so it would now be when the cam is at TDC as the cam is acting on the pushrods creating the movement regardless of where the crank is in relation to it.

I would expect....
(Disclaimer!!)

daviep - 7/12/07 at 09:37 AM

Tappets should be set with the crank at TDC on the firing stroke.

So if No.4 is on the rock set no.1 and vice versa, same for 2 & 3. Doing it like this means you can set all the valves no matter how many cylinders the engine has with only 2 revolutions of the crank.

The other way to do it is to turn the crank until you see a valve fully open, mark the crank and then turn the crank 1 revolution and set the valve which was previously open.

Don't bother with crap like the rule of 9 or stuff like that it's not 100% reliable whereas the two methods above are.

Davie

MikeRJ - 7/12/07 at 10:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by daviep
Don't bother with crap like the rule of 9 or stuff like that it's not 100% reliable whereas the two methods above are.

Rule of 9 works 100% reliably, as long as it's applied to engines with a firing order of 1-3-4-2 which the crossflow does not have!

ed_crouch - 7/12/07 at 02:16 PM

Correct!

It took me ages to work out why I was only getting 2 cylinders firing, until I researched and found out that the Xflow bucks the 1342 trend.

Felt a bit silly as i swapped the HT leads over on 2 and 3.

Ed.