Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 20vt development
b14wrc

posted on 17/9/18 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
20vt development

Evening all.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of new stuff going on in this section to inspire me at the moment... my new garage needs some serious work before I can get on with building the car, I have plans and will post once started. But mean time to keep my mind sane and in the belief I am still building a locost, I decided to do a little "CAD" work, but not Computer Aided Design, more the project binky type, "cardboard aided design".

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l603/b14wrc/C87D96C8-3041-4AC6-A236-3ABEBFC8D746.jpg

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l603/b14wrc/F0AD19E3-BDB2-403D-8D6D-A2AC557817E8.jpg

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l603/b14wrc/B86FD4EA-F02E-4BD9-80A5-E4857D1A57A3.jpg

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l603/b14wrc/28F4A73A-E169-45C8-A0D3-CE2BD65C109F.jpg

I've mocked up the rear panel and made a diffuser, I'm pretty happy with the diffuser, I think it will look pretty good! Got a Nissan S14 short shift gear shifter which fits so well.... lots of plans.

Rob

20vt powered rear engined locost

b14wrc

posted on 20/9/18 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote

b14wrc

posted on 20/9/18 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote

TurboLocost

posted on 17/10/18 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Interested in this build, I plan on doing similar, but I have a Saab 2.0 turbo and gearbox (well complete donor car!

Is that a single 8x4 sheet as a build board?

What plans did you use as a basis?

MikeRJ

posted on 17/10/18 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
A great choice of engine, if a little heavy. The 20VT Coupe is one of the best cars I've owned.
b14wrc

posted on 21/10/18 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, just noticed I didn't reply sorry, yes, the build table is a single piece of 18mm MDF, with reinforcement to take the weight of the car and engine. Plans, designed it myself loosely around the standard book chassis but tweaked it as I went, the thing I always didn't like about midis is sometimes the rear end can be too long, and the proportions look wrong in my mind.

I started my design well over 10 years ago now, the build started in about 2010 if I remember correctly.

Yes the Fiat 5cyclinder is a nice sounding engine, can't wait to hear what it sounds like with naughty exhaust and a big air filter on it.

[Edited on 21/10/18 by b14wrc]

Ronski

posted on 4/7/19 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Width of engine and box

Hi, I wonder if you would be so kind as to measure the overall width of the engine and gearbox please? Although with all the planning you must have done I suspect you know the dimensions. Impressive work by the way.

Basically almost 30 years ago I started building a mid engined Mini clubman using the very popular 1995cc Fiat Twin Cam 8v engine, gearbox and subframe from a Lancia Beta, but a change of job, then various houses, wife and kids all came along and it's been sat in my various garages since 92.

Now with time to spare I'm starting to look at getting on with it and someone suggested that the 20vt engine may fit.

[Edited on 4/7/19 by Ronski]

b14wrc

posted on 4/7/19 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there,

Sounds like a good project and you will definitely like the 20vt, its heavy mind you. I will measure it for you, I have two engines, one is on the gearbox so will take some photos and measurements at the week end. What sims do you need specifically?

Yes thanks, my locost is a labour of love, Im in the early stages of a new family and we recently moved house, so I am busy with building the new work shop, check that out, it's going well. - I've got a blog going.

Eventually mine will be full carbon body. Going to be fast with over 300bhp.

Rob

Ronski

posted on 5/7/19 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks very much Rob, rather than derail you're build thread I started a new topic here.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.