Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  11    12    13    14    15    16    17  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Warner R4 Build Diary
nitram38

posted on 8/4/08 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
Regarding oil and water temps, I know that this is slightly different, but every week I run the diesel generators at work.
We monitor the oil and water temps.
The oil temp (sump monitor) always matches the water temp (about 70oC) when the engine is flat out.
What temp does a bike engine water and oil differ?
Do they run the same or different?

[Edited on 8/4/2008 by nitram38]

Puk

posted on 8/4/08 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
Horizontal rad?

James - How about a horizontally mounted rad above the diff, with a fan under it to move the air when stuck in traffic? If you can find an oil to water heat exchanger then a single water rad sized to handle all of the heat losses could be used. I guess you'll need to relocate the fuel tank though. Is there space to build a scrutineer friendly enclosure between the seat backs and the engine? Or perhaps between the engine and the diff and offset from the center line (to avoid the chain).

Before you judge a guy, walk a mile in his shoes. Then when you judge him, you're a mile a way and you've nicked his shoes.

cloudy

posted on 8/4/08 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Another idea what about one of these one side?

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=340_367&products_id=2261

and then one the same size the other side for the water?

I presume you can't "overcool" the oil?

I quite like the side mounted ones as it helps it look a little less odd from the front 3/4 where the body tails off at the bottom... I had thought of making a big air duct atom shape between the seats and then splitting this between the engine intake and a horizontal rad as suggested by Puk

Puk

posted on 8/4/08 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cloudy

Is there such a thing as an oil flow thermostat?

Before you judge a guy, walk a mile in his shoes. Then when you judge him, you're a mile a way and you've nicked his shoes.

andyd

posted on 8/4/08 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Oil must have a working temp though to be any use to the engine? No expert on the matter but I'd say for optimum lubrication there could be such a thing as too cold... although too cold for oil might be pretty damn hot!

Trying to bypass the cooler in some way when it's below a certain temp might be worth investigating but I'm sure an oil expert will be along shortly to confirm if it'll be an issue or not.

Andy

hughpinder

posted on 8/4/08 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
I have a book of tuning 4 stroke engines that reccommends oil temp should be 95 to 110 degC. Above 130 - too hot and breaks down, below 95 the oil is thicker and does not lubricate as well, and can rob a small percentage of your engine power.
Engine is usually more efficient if water is set cooler (70 degree thermostat), but can also run water temperature up to 110 (as its under pressure).
Regards
Hugh

SeaBass

posted on 15/5/08 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Another consideration is that the placement in the pic is directly in line of anything that gets thrown out from the front wheels...

I know my wing protectors get hit a lot there!! Not sure I'd like an ally rad to be blasted in that way.

quote:

cloudy

posted on 15/5/08 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
That is a good point actually...
andyd

posted on 15/5/08 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Could you not use the airbox for all purposes or do you think it'd have to be huge to cope with all three things?

Andy

cloudy

posted on 18/5/08 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Just a pic from yesterday - roll bar and rear suspension is in

andyd

posted on 18/5/08 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Damn fine work there my good man.
I bet you're itching to get out there for a blast aren't you?!

Andy

nitram38

posted on 18/5/08 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
That looks

cloudy

posted on 18/5/08 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyd
Damn fine work there my good man.
I bet you're itching to get out there for a blast aren't you?!

I may have already done so - resulting in soiled underwear!

Benonymous

posted on 19/5/08 at 01:30 AM Reply With Quote
Awesome work Cloudy The finished car will be something to be proud of.
Gakes

posted on 19/5/08 at 06:36 AM Reply With Quote
Cloudy, I'm sorry if u thort i was copying ur design, I never new how similar our frontal section is, where the suspension mounts are.

Description
Description

Gakes

posted on 19/5/08 at 06:36 AM Reply With Quote

[Edited on 19/5/08 by Gakes]

Description
Description

sgraber

posted on 19/5/08 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
I'd like to throw my opinion in here about a few things.

#1 - the car is abso-f-ing-lutely GORGEOUS. I think it ranks in the top 10 of my all-time best looking list. It's just tubes for godsake, but the proportions are just right and don't need panels to cover it up. So congrats on hitting my g-spot cloudy.

#2 - It was just mentioned about stones and other items being thrown up that might impact your cooling and that is a valid point. A friend of mine spent a week recovering from a stone that impacted his left gonad while driving an Atom at 80mph. He tells me that he will never drive in it again as he seriously thought he had lost the nad. You may want to consider the direction that stones can leave the tyres?

Might I suggest mocking up in 3D the coolers in a duct above the engine F1 style above the seats. Air blows down across the coolers then flows across the engine and forces the air out the back. The shape of the inlet might be rectangular and sit along the top of the rollbar?

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cloudy

posted on 19/5/08 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gakes
Cloudy, I'm sorry if u thort i was copying ur design, I never new how similar our frontal section is, where the suspension mounts are.

I was only kidding with you - yours definately has it's own style, looking forward to see it for real...

James

cloudy

posted on 19/5/08 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
#1 Coming from you - with your beauty of a car I consider that high praise indeed - thankyou!

#2 That sounds really painful! I'll certainly take that into account! perhaps impact resistant clear polycarb sides would increase safety in the cockpit...

#3 Ive managed to move the fuel tank to behind the seats in an effort to increase safety and reduce the C of G. Hopefully this allow for more space at the top/back for cooling - Will mock something up....

quote:
Originally posted by sgraber
I'd like to throw my opinion in here about a few things.

#1 - the car is abso-f-ing-lutely GORGEOUS. I think it ranks in the top 10 of my all-time best looking list. It's just tubes for godsake, but the proportions are just right and don't need panels to cover it up. So congrats on hitting my g-spot cloudy.

#2 - It was just mentioned about stones and other items being thrown up that might impact your cooling and that is a valid point. A friend of mine spent a week recovering from a stone that impacted his left gonad while driving an Atom at 80mph. He tells me that he will never drive in it again as he seriously thought he had lost the nad. You may want to consider the direction that stones can leave the tyres?

Might I suggest mocking up in 3D the coolers in a duct above the engine F1 style above the seats. Air blows down across the coolers then flows across the engine and forces the air out the back. The shape of the inlet might be rectangular and sit along the top of the rollbar?

Gakes

posted on 19/5/08 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Cloudy, how was the test drives so far, hows the handling and acceleration?
how much does she way?

Description
Description

cloudy

posted on 19/5/08 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Haven't weighed it recently but three people can lift it off the deck and move it around

Handling I think can be summed up as lairy!

COREdevelopments

posted on 31/5/08 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
hey any more progress? i love the pic on page 34 of the car it looks great with you, keep up the quality work!!

Rob

cloudy

posted on 14/6/08 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks to Wadders for the design of this part. I think it's a really good solution, for a stronger, lighter cycle wing mount.

I've cut the holes in the carbonmods wings (That was fun!) and mocked up the mount. Just need to jig up the position of the wing and then make it!

[Edited on 14/6/08 by cloudy]

Fred W B

posted on 14/6/08 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Re positioning the wings, I really like the trick I saw on American chopper of laying a hose (would use two on a car) on the tyre and putting the wing on top of it. Select the hose diameter to set the gap to the size you want.

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

cloudy

posted on 14/6/08 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
You'll laugh - I'm using a christmas rope light to make the gap! Was the only thing the right size
<<  11    12    13    14    15    16    17  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.