Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: safety washers.
Agriv8

posted on 17/12/08 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
The short answer is that I don't know. This is a set up that has been making its way from track to road cars and is still not that widespread. Failures are quite well known in track situations hence the development of the safety washer which is now pretty well known and accepted in motorsport.
As you are aware, the SVA isn't the best assessment of a vehicle's overall safety with the bias towards the safety of people outside of the vehicle rather than those in it. Safety washers would just be another sharp edge issue on the current SVA.
At the end of the day, it is entirely up to people running rose jointed front corners whether they want to fit them or not. As I suggested above, there should be a duty-of-care to provide the appropriate safety related items but it would ultimately be up to the individual end user as to whether they choose to fit them.

well put Richard - run for office ill vote for you

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

procomp

posted on 18/12/08 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

I would just like to point out that my original post was not a pop at MNR. And as Richard has kindly pointed out. Once i was aware of the problem i took it upon myself to post the topic as i saw so many of the builders cars with them not fitted. Marc stated that he supplies them in the kits and that the manual mentions fitting them. So i therefore can only assume they are provided and that they where not being fitted by the builders. If you say you have not got them then take that up with Marc rather than having a go at myself.
I have spoke with Marc on U2U regarding the customer who was originally affected.

Re the SVA and picking these sorts of issues up during the test. It is a double edged sword to some extent. We all want the cars to be scrutinized for absolute saftey but if the tests where to go as far as some other countries ( Australia for instance ) It would simply bring the UK kitcar scene to a halt regarding new builds. Untill the manufacturers had the chance to redress all sorts of problems it would bring with it. Mind it is a shame that as it stands they are more interested in a 5mm radius on certain parts of the car than other areas that are actualy far more likely to cause accidents at some point. But just like when scruitineering a car for a race meeting they can comment on your wheel nuts etc being loose but if say the whole car desighn in general was of dubious quality they are restricted to what they can say and comment on.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Agriv8

posted on 18/12/08 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
Ahh the one motorsport I dont miss race scruitineering memories of clio cup scruitineering PITA.

All the best matt hope to say hello in 2009 as I am going to try and get to a couple of the 750 races and give mat Lewis a hand.

Reagrds

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

stuart_g

posted on 18/12/08 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Matt,

Although your may think your original post may not have been a pop directly at MNR your U2U response to me was as you implied that they don't know what they are doing with some of their engineering and implied that because your mate was told that they were not needed by someone you then proceeded to make out that everybody's car with these uprights are unsafe.
What you should have done is not to have posted it on here but to have spoken to MNR direct, if then there was concern that people had not fitted them MNR could have posted on here or contacted customers direct to get them to check A, wether they were supplied in the kit and B, if they are fitted.
Yes the build manual does mention something about safety washers but I doubt all of the builders of the cars that you have seen pictures of thought "oh, I don't need this washer I will not fit it" which is what you also imply along with accusing people of not being able to follow the build manual, this is what annoys me.
MNR as always have asked for people to contact them so they can rectify anybodies car that does not have them fitted and I'm sure they will double check they are supplied with new kits.

DarrenW

posted on 18/12/08 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Come on guys, time to drop it now.

A point has been made about a particular application for rod ends. As an outsider i read it as well meaning and not really directed to a particular manufacturer. True it could have been posted in a general suspension section but it wasnt and we cant change history. I dont always agree with public forums for some things but at least on this occasion people can now check their cars and add the washers if they are needed, looks like a simple change. Lets face it no-one has been injured etc etc so why not keep it all factual and to the point.

Ive been in the engineering game for too many years and still made errors when i built my car. Some daft ones at that, which were rectified quickly. All of us do. What is important is that if someone is good enough to point it out we do something about it. No kit manufacturer can absoultely guarantee that everybody sticks to a rigid assembly process. It is just not possible due to the vehicle spec variations and differing builder skill sets. What is so great about our good country is that we are allowed to build such cars. Lets focus on that and move on.

marc n

posted on 18/12/08 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
On a positive note
we have found 3 people who have not been supplied the washers, stuart is one of them and 5 who have been supplied them but didn't fit them

best regards

marc

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GeorgeM

posted on 18/12/08 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
QED
Gergely

posted on 18/12/08 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
I genuinely am interested in this. We have not fitted the washers to the car, but I don't see why a washer will do anything to help my safety.
The top wishbone has practically no load on it vertically as the wishbone can just move freely up and down, right? It does have side-to-side load of course, but if the inner bearing breaks, the pin is highly unlikely to come out of the rodend as the wishbone will not lift over it, right? And even if you have a washer, the bearing can still break and the wheel will be half disconnected just the same.
Alll in all, I don't see what the washer would bring in case a bearing fails.
Please help me understand if I am completely off line here...
Gergely

Our build pictures

Krismc

posted on 19/12/08 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
IM going to check mine now, as i got them just as raceleda was switching to MNR.

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

richardh

posted on 19/12/08 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
i'll check mine tomorrow and come back to you.
cheers for the thought on this guys. We should only be thinking of each others safety here...........................
merry xmas anyway

gr8ging

posted on 21/12/08 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
I for one am glad this was posted as I would have had no idea these washers were needed.
I have emailed MNR to let the guys know I do not have any.
I am very glad Marc supports this site.

Merry Christmas

Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals.... except the weasel.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine!

Johneturbo

posted on 21/12/08 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gr8ging
I for one am glad this was posted as I would have had no idea these washers were needed.
I have emailed MNR to let the guys know I do not have any.
I am very glad Marc supports this site.

Merry Christmas

I agree, anything that's safty relevant is good out in the open.
i never knew there was such a thing till now. i do have them supplied on this build but not on the last car.

gr8ging

posted on 23/12/08 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Emailed MNR Sunday, washers here Tuesday. Can't beat that eh?!

Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals.... except the weasel.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.