<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rules of engagement
02GF74

posted on 30/11/09 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson

oh and O2G, what can your bike do that my 1980s £50 peugeot road bike can't

quite a lot - be faster by being lighter and able to convert pedal action to forward movement, more reliable and generally pleasanter to ride.

a ring does nothing other than sits on a finger to be wagged into the faces of other women.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 30/11/09 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
it's not the cost of the ring thats the problem, or even the wedding day. It's the bloody devorce thats the real killer.

Two of my mates are eating bread crumbs after getting cleaned out that way.....on even did the same mistake twice......

MK9R

posted on 30/11/09 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Don't buy one from the high street stores!!! Massively over priced and sister-in-laws turned out to have a worthless flawed diamond in it when she sold it after splitting up!! The valuer said "did you buy this from H samual by any chance", and she had!! Apparently they do it all the time!!! Make the effort and go to the Birmingham Jewelery quarter, they are half the price and you will be guaranteed good quality. It doesn't save you any money as all you end up doing is spending the same amount, but get something better I spent 1500 on the wifes, same ones on the high street are 3k+!! Also had 2 friends come up from london, purely to go to the jewelery quarter, and the one guy reckons he saw the same ring in covent garden for 3x what he paid!!!!

Although my best advice is, don't do it!!! lol!!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MK9R

posted on 30/11/09 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
oh, if you get the choice of ring right, the amount of brownie points you earn is unparalleled!!! I used mine for many trackdays and weekends away with the lads!!!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
omega 24 v6

posted on 30/11/09 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
LOOK IT'S QUITE SIMPLE SCOTT.

You love her, she loves you, you want to get engaged,she picks a ring (hopefully a cheap one) and that's it. This pish about percentage of sallary is just hype from the industry to make you spend more cash nothing else.
Love has no cash amount so just leave it at that.

Hope that does'nt make me sound like too much of a poof

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

Humbug

posted on 30/11/09 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega 24 v6

You love her, she loves you, you want to get engaged,she picks a ring (hopefully a cheap one) and that's it. This pish about percentage of sallary is just hype from the industry to make you spend more cash nothing else.

Hope that does'nt make me sound like too much of a poof

... so just make sure you pass on the advice to "your friend"

Fozzie

posted on 30/11/09 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Love has no cash amount so just leave it at that...............................................

Totally agree with that ^ ^

FWIW I personally do not like diamonds.....but hey-ho ..... surely it is something you should choose together?

IMHO of course

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/11/09 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Sound advice no doubt till you see all the shoes and handbags, I suspect the "blank cheque" hysterical excitement fueled approach could cost more than a car

quote:
..... surely it is something you should choose together?

not sure how this is to work tbh, ask her the question and then say "lets go to the shops"?

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

MikeR

posted on 30/11/09 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
tip - don't let your friends potential talk to any friends who've just got married!

Left mine in a room with my mates misses the week after they'd come back from honey moon. I also left them with a bottle or two of wine.

Half an hour later I was told I had to take the g/f on a cruise of the med for a long weekend.

Half an hour later I was told I had to take the g/f for a safari holiday.

Half an hour later I was told I had to get a diamond ring for the g/f. It had to be class this, platinum that, carrots the other.

(g/f was laughing her head off and quite sober through all this).

The next day i looked up aforementioned said ring. I'd be looking at over 5 grand. G/f said she wouldn't like a ring like that ..... i have picked a good un this time

Rod Ends

posted on 30/11/09 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Coincidentally, i was looking at Trashy Weddings
D Beddows

posted on 30/11/09 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
If the woman you want to marry (and who is supposed to love YOU!) is unhappy because she doesn't think you've spent enough on a ring........... hmmmmm

Take her to the shop and buy one together, that's what me and Mrs Beddows did - sod tradition . The engagement ring was only 2 or 3 hundred quid as I recall BUT the setting was a slightly odd shape so we spent a bit more on getting her wedding ring made so the two fitted together on her finger. It's only a token of your love at the end of the day and a curtain ring should actually be enough tbh lol - but you really should spend a little more than that

And yes, the wedding itself is the really expensive bit

Fozzie

posted on 30/11/09 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
Ah well, you see Whipster .... this is where I shatter all of you guys illusions, that all of us girls think the same.....

I would be horrified if 'im indoors popped the question with an already purchased ring......

Point one, the stone and setting would be wrong, not to mention the size (for the second point).....

Mind, if you already know the answer to the 2 points above, then go for it......but within your means.......AFAIR there is no set amount that you 'should' spend, after all, you have saving to do for your future.....

All of the above IMHO of course.

scootz

posted on 30/11/09 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
If you do decide to buy a big ol rock, then head east my man (but only to the middle bit!)... long weekend in Dubai should do it!

You'll get the right ring, have a nice wee holiday and still save yourself a fortune!

Good luck!

It's Evolution Baby!

swanny

posted on 30/11/09 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
for me it worked well to pick out the ring and surprise her with it. if you have half decent taste and a set of eyes to look at the type of stuff she wears she'll be so delighted with the ring and the fact that you undestand her so well the cost wont matter at all.

i didnt spend anywhere near the 2-3 months guff, but she still looks at it and sighs and loves it. fortunately i married someone with quite simple tastes.

well she married me.

D Beddows

posted on 30/11/09 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
and lets face it you're hardly the 'most conventional conventionist' anyway

Seriously, take her to buy what she wants but I suspect if you were to slip a spare (clean!) bearing or 'O' ring on her finger when you asked her (knowing you as well as she she must!), if you get it right it would probably become one of her most treasured possessions, maybe even more so than the ring you buy because it's more 'Scott' than anything you could ever have bought...........and she gets to choose the ring she wants

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/11/09 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm loads of advice there to say the least

Who’d have thought it would be soooo difficult or complicated?

Well thanks all for taking the time to offer advice there’s quite a bit to think about and kind of siding towards the idea of letting her wander around a jewellery shop pointing at shiny things, think first would be needed a trip to the pub first though to calm the nerves.

Off to get a coffee now and ponder…

thanks

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

MikeRJ

posted on 30/11/09 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Get yourself a decent woman (like my other half) who demanded I not waste extraordinary amounts of money on a stupid bit of metal and carbon which really means bugger all. At the end of the day it's how you feel about and behave towards someone that actually means something, not how deep your pockets are.
Fozzie

posted on 30/11/09 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Mmmmm I don't wear any rings at all.....ever...

Blimmin dangerous when working on bits of metal and engines....

Fozzie

Peteff

posted on 30/11/09 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
My wife doesn't wear any rings either (she doesn't like jewellery at all) says they irritate. If she can't get her finger in a 15mm pipe olive she's too fat or possibly a bloke in drag, dump her.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

iank

posted on 30/11/09 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
One of these should do the job if she doesn't go and get it valued.

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.J41769.desc.Diamonique-100-Facet-150-ct-tw-3-Stone-Ring-14K-Gold

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Steve G

posted on 30/11/09 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
You could always propose outside of the jewellers!! I've seen that happen once in Liverpool city centre on a busy Saturday afternoon!! He was brave in front of so many people - it worked though!!
MikeR

posted on 30/11/09 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
g/f liked the QVC ring - i then showed her the web site and she asked if i thought she was worthy of a fake......

i think i'm in trouble!

pbura

posted on 1/12/09 at 06:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Get yourself a decent woman (like my other half) who demanded I not waste extraordinary amounts of money on a stupid bit of metal and carbon which really means bugger all. At the end of the day it's how you feel about and behave towards someone that actually means something, not how deep your pockets are.

Very true.

I bought my late first wife a fancy diamond, and later on we both wished that we had just held onto the money.

Second time around, I went Locost and bought a 1k emerald online for $500. It's a beautiful deep green stone, better than what you see in jewelry stores. Then I bought a diamond setting on eBay for $150, which would normally retail for more than $1,500. The seller of the setting, a jeweler, sold me a similar diamond wedding band and set the stone for another $150.

The end result was very nice, and my wife frequently receives compliments.

If you must buy a diamond, check out used ones as the prices are much better. You can have it reset. Also, have her participate in the purchase so that she will be sure to have something she likes.

Best of luck!

Pete

David Jenkins

posted on 1/12/09 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
As above - seriously consider 2nd-hand rings from a reputable dealer. You'll have a task, working out the selling point for the intended, but it is worth it - both from the value-for-money view and for the increased variety available.

I've bought my wife some jewelry from shops in Hatton Garden, London. The expedition to get them was part of the fun. She's ended up with a nice ring, and a very nice bracelet with diamonds and emeralds - and she's very happy with them too!

Both were around 50 to 100 years old, which adds to their charm.

spidersaurus

posted on 1/12/09 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
dont know anything about it but was reading an article
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fsb/fsb_archive/2005/05/01/8259747/index.htm

that mentioned http://www.bluenile.com/

"The Blue Nile story is aimed at guys (the ones who buy engagement rings). The story is framed perfectly for their worldview. It says, "You're smart enough to buy the right diamond at the right price." Tiffany can't tell that story, and neither can the cheapest guys. Women hate the Blue Nile story because it suggests that Tiffany is selling an empty blue box for thousands of dollars. Men love the story for precisely the same reason."

just passing info on random things i read when bored at work

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.