Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hate to say I told you so....
richard thomas

posted on 30/6/10 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hope that everybody who thinks that what's coming is all a good thing, and that we all need to tighten our belts, and that it's awfully unfortunate that there will be 1.3 million unemployed, and we need to be hard, and do our bit, doesn't think that they themselves are untouchable when it comes to unemployment and that it will only affect those who work for excessively manned beaurocratic government departments....no matter what, where and how the first cuts come, the ripples will spread far and wide....anybody who would like to volunteer to be laid off to help cut Government debt in place of someone who needs to keep a job please shout up.

I anticipate silence...

Fozzie

posted on 30/6/10 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Yes it will be tough going, very tough going...
and you are right no one is untouchable.....

We have our own business, and when the Banking crisis hit and many went 'to the wall' all manner and types of business's were hit with the knock on effect.
For instance, we rely on certain suppliers, if they are hit, we are too......if our customers are tightening their respective belts, the first thing to tighten their spending on are their 'toys' ...... so, we get 'hit' again .....

Thus it will happen again now, all types of business's will be affected. No one is immune.

We all have to tighten our respective belts and pare down spending, as do the Government.....

Fozzie

Edit for typo

[Edited on 30-6-10 by Fozzie]

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

Paul TigerB6

posted on 30/6/10 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sucksqueezebangblowGordon Brown even claimed (god like) that he had beaten boom and bust! Ars*h*le.

Yup - he just decided to go for the "bust" bit with his spending plans

Paul TigerB6

posted on 30/6/10 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richard thomas
Hope that everybody who thinks that what's coming is all a good thing, and that we all need to tighten our belts, and that it's awfully unfortunate that there will be 1.3 million unemployed, and we need to be hard, and do our bit, doesn't think that they themselves are untouchable when it comes to unemployment and that it will only affect those who work for excessively manned beaurocratic government departments....no matter what, where and how the first cuts come, the ripples will spread far and wide....anybody who would like to volunteer to be laid off to help cut Government debt in place of someone who needs to keep a job please shout up.

Those 1.3million are talked about over 5 years - and chances are the huge majority will find jobs elsewhere in something more constructive such as all the bullsh1t roles created by Labour to create meaningless statistics, and not just put the jobless total up by 1.3million!! Is that was the case and the benefits bill was forced up then the sums simply wouldnt work.

Labour would have simply compounded the huge pile of crap they've left this country in if they'd stayed in power. Things are going to be tough but do you have a better answer than to cut back?? Silence......

PS If quoting the 1.3m losses from the article then lets quote the bit further down the same article...... "The Treasury is assuming that growth in the private sector will create 2.5m jobs in the next five years to compensate "

I make that a net 1.2m increase!!

PPS my father retires from the public sector in September and is unlikely to be replaced (plus he wont get the bonus he was due to get) so thats just 1,299,999 to find now

[Edited on 30/6/10 by Paul TigerB6]

richard thomas

posted on 30/6/10 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
quote:
Originally posted by richard thomas

Those 1.3million are talked about over 5 years - and chances are the huge majority will find jobs elsewhere in something more constructive such as all the bullsh1t roles created by Labour to create meaningless statistics, and not just put the jobless total up by 1.3million!! Is that was the case and the benefits bill was forced up then the sums simply wouldnt work.

Labour would have simply compounded the huge pile of crap they've left this country in if they'd stayed in power. Things are going to be tough but do you have a better answer than to cut back?? Silence......

PS If quoting the 1.3m losses from the article then lets quote the bit further down the same article...... "The Treasury is assuming that growth in the private sector will create 2.5m jobs in the next five years to compensate "

I make that a net 1.2m increase!!

PPS my father retires from the public sector in September and is unlikely to be replaced (plus he wont get the bonus he was due to get) so thats just 1,299,999 to find now

"Those 1.3million are talked about over 5 years"...hadn't thought of that, kind of makes it easier to swallow - that's only a quarter of a million families a year without an income.

The Treasury is 'assuming' that growth in the private sector will create 2.5 million jobs.

Really!

I know what 'assumption' is the Mother of...

"and chances are the huge majority will find jobs elsewhere in something more constructive such as all the bullsh1t roles created by Labour to create meaningless statistics, and not just put the jobless total up by 1.3million!! ".....lucky that the economy is due for a massive growth spurt to emply all these unfortunates then - NOT!

"Is that was the case and the benefits bill was forced up then the sums simply wouldnt work."....write that down, keep it somewhere safe, read it back in a couple of years and put it down to learning experience...

Paul TigerB6

posted on 30/6/10 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
i think you'll find the 1.3m jobs to go is made up mostly of assumptions.

So lets do the sums. 600,000 public sector jobs to go over 5 years. 6.09million people work in the public sector according to the Office of National Statistics, so thats almost 10% to "lose" their jobs. Now if we say that the average person has a working life of 40 years then over the next 5 years, 5/40 (1/8th) will retire. Thats 12.5% - or more than the number of jobs that'll go through the cutbacks.

Not all will go at the older end obviously, but still, looks to me like 1.3m people arent suddenly about to be dumped on the dole!!

One thing that isnt an assumption is that £1 trillion of national debt isnt just going to go away without some real action?? What was Labour's answer to the debt........ spend £160 billion more than we had in 2009!!

RK

posted on 30/6/10 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
We are always looking for good people. It's based on points more than anything else nowadays, so get your call in to Canada House in London, and find out what the Government of Canada wants. Don't live in the place I do though. The weather is truly brutal: tropically humid, or effing cold. You're welcome.
flak monkey

posted on 1/7/10 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
We are always looking for good people. It's based on points more than anything else nowadays, so get your call in to Canada House in London, and find out what the Government of Canada wants. Don't live in the place I do though. The weather is truly brutal: tropically humid, or effing cold. You're welcome.

Yes please

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Ninehigh

posted on 1/7/10 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hector.Brocklebank
but there comes a time when we ALL have to tighten our belts and pay the piper.

Not being funny but why the hell should I? I've not put myself or anyone in debt, and any debts I've had from my past are being paid (one left and then I'll owe nothing)

We do claim tax credits though, not that we want to of course we'd both like to be able to earn enough to not rely on your goverment to help us afford to live, only they'd rather give us 10 grand or so for the rest of our lives than LOAN me half that so I can go back to college full time

Dangle_kt

posted on 1/7/10 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
I may have to copy and paste this thread back when I see a thread in 5 years about

1) having to wait years for an operation
2) everyones inheritance disappearing on very basic care packages for elderly parents or maybe your wives?
3) it's very easy to moan about the public sector, but the cuts won't get rid if the wastes if space.

They will be too expensive to get rid of.

The bosses will sit in the well paid jobs and set out the future in which their departments will get bigger not smaller. And so they can be sure to keep there jobs.

Mark Allanson

posted on 1/7/10 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
The whole thing leaves me cold - all the politicians are in parliament for varying levels of self interest.

I live in the poorest county in England and yet the local council have over 30 'managers' on over £100k pa, I am now on significantly on less than a fifth of that after my old company went bust - and my new employer is look very shakey at the moment.

Unless we actually start MAKING stuff and selling it abroad we are flogging a dead horse.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.