Poll: Is the bruise trying to kill me or save me?? [View Results]
Yes, she's looking after you.
No, she's plotting different way to kill me

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is the bruise trying to kill me or save me??
MikeRJ

posted on 25/3/11 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Book design uses Cortina ball joints which are a substantially different design. However, I have seen a lot of wishbones with a very similar design to yours, though typically using 5mm plate.

quote:
Originally posted by ashg
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Bruise?

name of his car

I guessed that, just seemed a very odd name!

[Edited on 25/3/11 by MikeRJ]

David Jenkins

posted on 25/3/11 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
I guess it's called the bruise 'cos it's black and blue!

Grimsdale

posted on 25/3/11 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
3mm is definitely too thin, my replacement front wishbones were of a similar design but with 6mm plate.
splitrivet

posted on 25/3/11 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
Very reminiscent of moggy minor trunnions (ask yer grandad). Which would be fine till you parked the car and were just walking past the front of it and the front wheel would fall off, but never heard of them letting go when you were motoring.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

RichardK

posted on 25/3/11 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Not to worry boys got it fixed today

More pictures here

Love Rich

xx

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
HowardB

posted on 25/3/11 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
I am a composites eng, not a metallurgist but, pics 002 and 003 show what I believe to be fatigue failure on the left hand side of the picture as you look at it.

Welded might get you through the summer,....?

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

paulf

posted on 25/3/11 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
That is not as the original book design, on the original Cortina ball joint there is 4 mounting bolts with 2 in the same place as photo and another 2 inboard of the ball join and at an angle on the mounting plate to match the ball joint plate.In the photo the plate is going to flex between the ball joint and tube ends and eventually break.
The repair may be ok for a while but what about the other wishbone? is that going to break some time soon as well?.
I would make a pair of new wishbones either with Cortina ball joints or the maxi ones and extend the tubes to go past the ball joint centre line.
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
Not to worry boys got it fixed today

More pictures here

Love Rich

xx

zilspeed

posted on 25/3/11 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, but there's so much about that which I don't like.

Look where it fails.

Right where the flat plate first goes from being supported to being unsuppported.
So, right where you need it to be at its strongest, it's at its weakest.

Not good.

It all depends on a bit of 3mm plate which due to the continual suspension travel is always having a bending force being applied to it.
Add to that, a balljoint in good order will always but always have a considerable amount of resistance to articulation.
The minute it doesn't, it's ready for replacement.
The balljoint is continually doing a Uri Geller on the plate with frankly inevitable results.

Considering all that, I just wouldn't be happy with that design at all.

I'm tempting to speak to our structurall engineers about this on monday.
A more obsessive bunch of people you will never find.

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have signed off on such a design.

Please tread carefully and consider whether you're truly happy about using this wishbone again.

austin man

posted on 25/3/11 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
I think that the wish bone is seriously at risk of further failure, the plate will have been hammered back into shape futher weakening it. I would look to having a new one made with a minimum of 5mm plate. You came close to having a near death experience I wouldn't want to chance my luck twice

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

SeaBass

posted on 25/3/11 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Richard - I take it your just trying to wind people up with those repair pictures? IMHO you should not drive the car with those wishbones as they are, let alon repaired. They way you've welded them has now created a Heat Affected Zone exactly along the line of flexing. The original welds created such a zone which is what I think caused them to fail in the first place - HAZ and work hardening on a critical component = NOT GOOD.

JC

ashg

posted on 25/3/11 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
the haynes design is a fair bit better than those. for a start the plate is 5mm and it has a bend in it just behind the line of the tubes. also the plates have tags that sit into the tubes you then crush the tubes down on to the plate and weld the ends up. the other thing is that the tags that go into the wishbone tubes are on the same line as the bend in the end of the plate but not bent putting them on a different plane.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.