Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Deciding on an MK Indy R?!
daniel mason

posted on 28/4/11 at 12:17 AM Reply With Quote
you do know how to calculate power to weight ratio?
power/weight x1000 = bhp per tonne
so 100 bhp/500kgs = 0.2 x1000 =200 bhp tonne
200 bhp/500 kgs = 0.4 x1000 = 400 bhp tonne

twybrow

posted on 28/4/11 at 12:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
you do know how to calculate power to weight ratio?
power/weight x1000 = bhp per tonne
so 100 bhp/500kgs = 0.2 x1000 =200 bhp tonne
200 bhp/500 kgs = 0.4 x1000 = 400 bhp tonne

I hope 3 student mech engineers, and 1 electrical engineer should be able to work it out (now you have shown them the way)...!

Oh, and BEC all the way...!

daniel mason

posted on 28/4/11 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
you would hope so. but to say "bec's have a better power to weight ratio than cec's" is a bold statement. i reckon hicost and antinuk would gave something to say about that!

MikeFellows

posted on 28/4/11 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
building a indy-r myself at the moment, albeit with a busa engine.

i think you might struggle to keep within your budget (mine was £10k, with the engine and its looking more like £12k), my kit came in at £5k (but i did spec it up and add some extra parts)

Calzonii

posted on 28/4/11 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah we know about power/weight calcs..

i think ill try and get a spin in one first before i make any decisions. Like i said before ive already for BMW 330i engine sorted but im thinking it might be a big too big. ill get the kit first then make final decisions about the engine.. ill probably sell the BMW and try and get my hands on a duratec or zetec something simple and that alot of people are building to start with.

cheers.

Steve Hignett

posted on 28/4/11 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
If you "get the kit and then decide on the engine" then you may not be surprised when an engine doesn't fit the mounts/cradle properly.

Do more research and narrow down your choices first.

Then get a run out in one or two.

There are a few KC's in Ireland (can't remember where and I'm sure they won't be your neighbours), but why don't you and you're friends book a late/saver ticket on the ferry and get over for the KC show at Stoneleigh Park, Coventry this weekend. I know of at least a handful of people that would take you out...

Hellfire

posted on 28/4/11 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
you would hope so. but to say "bec's have a better power to weight ratio than cec's" is a bold statement. i reckon hicost and antinuk would gave something to say about that!

Who said that?

twybrow

posted on 28/4/11 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
bec's have a better power to weight ratio than cec's

There you go - a very bold statement!

davestarck

posted on 28/4/11 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
CEC's are for girls.

Sits back with popcorn

Calzonii

posted on 28/4/11 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
If you "get the kit and then decide on the engine" then you may not be surprised when an engine doesn't fit the mounts/cradle properly.

Yeah steve, i was having a look about and i dont think the 330i fits in the oil sump sits too low under the chassis so unless i cut a bit off and welded it closed i dont think itll be fitting in and tbh im still a bit nooby with the welder haha. but what ive primarily been looking at is a duratec as ive heard these fit in quite well and have a good bit of power. i think ill sell the BMW engine and hopefully itll go some of the way to funding the new one..

Phil, What engine are you running in your hellfire atm.. i was reading your blog last night (Pretty darn sick! ) and the 0-60 figures are unreal. 3.8 secs. is that a BEC and is it tuned?

Cheers.

Calzonii

posted on 28/4/11 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
also think ill have to pass on Stoney this year.. have exams on next month so im flat out at the minute.. revision revision revision.. never hear the end of it. dont think i could afford to take a trip to stoney this year timewise and money (saving that for the car haha).. starting to get a bit snowed under :S ahh well .

altho i would quite like to meet a few of you all to add to the enthusiasm.

Any more in the summer?

-matt

posted on 28/4/11 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
all im going to say is, when i started mine, i had a budget of 6K, i have now hit almost 9K and not finished yet!

Its amazing how the credit card mounts up!

But go for it, so much fun, and im sure it will be worth the money once its finished.

StevieB

posted on 28/4/11 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I think a fairer statement would be to say that you can achieve a better power to weight ratio with a BEC for a given sum of money.

40inches

posted on 28/4/11 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to know what a BEC sounds like Linky

daniel mason

posted on 28/4/11 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
you probably could get slightly better power to weight for the money but by the time you have a reverse box,power commander,sprocket adaptor they start to add up price wise. where as a decent zetec could be had for very little money. obviously the bec's are much lighter and that is the biggest advantage to the handling and braking imo.

Calzonii

posted on 28/4/11 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Well sick! i think ive just been converted! That sounds UNREAL! haha whats 0-60?

Hellfire

posted on 29/4/11 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Calzonii
Phil, What engine are you running in your hellfire atm.. i was reading your blog last night (Pretty darn sick! ) and the 0-60 figures are unreal. 3.8 secs. is that a BEC and is it tuned?

Cheers.

BEC all the way.. Current engine is a ZX12R and pretty much standard. There's some videos on our website which might whet your appetite.

Phil

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.