New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: best value for money Bike engine
hiflow

posted on 17/6/11 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
its was a 4k kit, drive in , drive out

LOL would hope to get an oil cooler for that

hiflow

posted on 17/6/11 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
why dont you go 42mm TB's , emerald / omex , freshen up the bottom end. . I'm sure you would see over 180bhp.
progers

posted on 17/6/11 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Do you actually know what the engine is producing? i.e have you been to a rolling road?

Its quite common that people have not optimised what they have, losing bhp and acceleration through poor intake, exhaust design and non optimal jetting. Is there nice cold air going into the carbs?

A well setup 5jj should be putting out >160bhp (roughly 135 at the wheels) and with a 3.62 should be ideally geared for Brands. What was your top speed on the straight - it should be >120mph. If not it would suggest you are down on what you should have.

Food for thought before you start spending cash on upgrades.

One simple upgrade is to lighten your car - do you know how much it weighs? MNRs are known for being a bit porky.

Personally, if all is well and you just want more grunt, I would put a ZX12 in there. Cheap and plenty of power and can be simply tweaked to give more. Far more reliable solution than super/turbo charging.

Regards

Paul

gaz_gaz

posted on 17/6/11 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hiflow
its was a 4k kit, drive in , drive out

LOL would hope to get an oil cooler for that

The Rotrex kit we had on our EP3 Civic didnt come with an engine oil cooler, only a Supercharger oil cooler,
that car done 20k miles at Snetterton, Brands Hatch, Spa, Nurburgring and had no issues what so ever with oil temps,

gaz_gaz

posted on 17/6/11 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by progers
Do you actually know what the engine is producing? i.e have you been to a rolling road?

Its quite common that people have not optimised what they have, losing bhp and acceleration through poor intake, exhaust design and non optimal jetting. Is there nice cold air going into the carbs?

A well setup 5jj should be putting out >160bhp (roughly 135 at the wheels) and with a 3.62 should be ideally geared for Brands. What was your top speed on the straight - it should be >120mph. If not it would suggest you are down on what you should have.

Food for thought before you start spending cash on upgrades.

One simple upgrade is to lighten your car - do you know how much it weighs? MNRs are known for being a bit porky.

Personally, if all is well and you just want more grunt, I would put a ZX12 in there. Cheap and plenty of power and can be simply tweaked to give more. Far more reliable solution than super/turbo charging.

Regards

Paul

The engine made 154bhp on a dyno dynamics dyno at the flywheel.
just looked at a video and at Brands the digidash is saying 121mph when i get scared and jump on the brakes so your pretty much spot on there.

I have no idea how much it weighs but being an older 1 i imagine its a fair bit, its being corner weighted next week so should have an answer.

JoelP

posted on 17/6/11 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
i reckon i managed to loose 50kgs out of my locost when i binned a few bits. Both seats, the dash, the windscreen and the tunnel cover

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.