Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Does this look like a safe lift
40inches

posted on 8/9/12 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
That looks destined to fail in any number of ways, can't you build a couple of pillars either side or knock a couple of bricks out and put an RSJ across ?

That's what I did.
Description
Description

RickRick

posted on 10/9/12 at 06:06 AM Reply With Quote
Well it worked and i'm still here!
i put the hook right down at floor level, and stood in the loop, then lifted it a couple of inches and tried jumping at that was all good too. i did lock it so it stayed inline with the horizontal support, and moved the car out from under the engine, and it will be replaced with a better solution when time allows. i did lift it into the car myself, 3 or so years ago, but maybe because of doing that sort of thing my backs not too clever

JoelP

posted on 18/9/12 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
I once put my back out badly getting a bike engine out of a boot. Its one thing lifting it when you can get close, and quite another leaning over to reach it. I ended up with it balanced on the boot opening and unable to move it either way!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 19/9/12 at 02:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LoMoss
Or try this

Loving that picture Hall your a legend

mcerd1

posted on 9/10/12 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LoMoss
Or try this

my effort was a little less dainty

-

mcerd1

posted on 9/10/12 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
RickRick,

If you post/pm some more details I could help you size up a proper steel beam for future lifts

-

MikeRJ

posted on 9/10/12 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
I once put my back out badly getting a bike engine out of a boot. Its one thing lifting it when you can get close, and quite another leaning over to reach it. I ended up with it balanced on the boot opening and unable to move it either way!

I nearly did myself in getting my crossflow off my workbench and onto the floor. The ceiling is very low in the back of my basement so there wasn't sufficient room for the engine lift, so gave the engine an experimental lift and it seemed just about light enough for me to carry. Unfortunately as I was trying to put it down (bending at the knees, trying to keep back straight) the engine snagged on my T shirt, and by that point there was no way I was going to be able to lift it back up again so ended up having to let it rip my T shirt off me as I lowered it!

Was stupid idea, and not one I'd repeat - having a knackered back is an awful handicap.

[Edited on 9/10/12 by MikeRJ]

JF

posted on 10/11/12 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Good to hear it turned out ok.

But constructing your beam to the weight you'll lift is the wrong way around. Always spec your beam to the capacity of the lift/hoist. You'll be surprised how fast things can turn ugly when for instance you forgot to take a bolt out. Hell even a proper earth strap would have resulted in the hoist coming down instead of the engine going up. If you make sure the pulling force of the hoist is the weakest link in your setup, then you'll be safe. Unless ofcourse you go to extreme abuse....

Because you know then once you install a hoist like that... you'll start using it for all sorts of things... and every time you'll load a bit more, because... it's only 2kg more right..... Either install it properly, or expect it to come down one day.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.