Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Aerodynamic cycle wings?
TimC

posted on 9/1/06 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
What about these?

I first saw wimgs similar to this on a Freestyle Caterham. Now on Ebay in GRP.

Any good?

scutter

posted on 9/1/06 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Just been looking these up, they appear to have a sculptured design to the upper surface, what wiould be the benefits of this?

ATB Dan.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rob Palin

posted on 10/1/06 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
I tried all sorts of things to either enforce the agreement or do it ourselves independently but the company i work for wasn't interested. They said it wasn't worth it - to be fair we do get screwed over on a much bigger scale than that from time to time so they have a point. It was just that in this particular case i'd invested a fair amount of effort in the project personally. I'll get over it eventually

I've looked at using brushes to seal wheelarches on a number of different types of cars but no-one's ever keen on it. They'd have to be very stiff bristles though as you'd have a heckuva pressure on them at the kind of speeds where you'd really need them to be doing their thing!

Don't know the reason for the raised bit at the front of those wheelarches on e-bay. The louvres are very nice, although i'd prefer to rotate the arch further around the wheel and have those louvres further back.

As a rough guide, and using an image of the outside face of the wheel as a clock, you want the wheelarch to be tight to the tyre and extending down to at least 3 o'clock and have the louvres between 11 and 1 o'clock.

The squared-off bit on the top of the CSR arches would be less important if you've got louvres but is still a good idea. The boxy bit at the back just reduces the drag of the wheel from to

Peteff

posted on 10/1/06 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Start doing them yourself and let C*terham come after you for copying if they are bothered, then all you have to do is defend yourself by showing the originals to a court.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

andyps

posted on 10/1/06 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Have the louvres been tried? Interested because TVR's excuse for having closed louvres on the Sagaris was because of the amount of grit that got thrown up through the holes, just wondering if it would be the same on a seven.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

locost_bryan

posted on 11/1/06 at 02:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyps
Have the louvres been tried? Interested because TVR's excuse for having closed louvres on the Sagaris was because of the amount of grit that got thrown up through the holes, just wondering if it would be the same on a seven.

Would probably be an issue for SVA in the UK - in NZ the Hot Rod crowd managed to wheedle an exemption to run with no mudguards

Plenty of Le Mans/sports prototypes have used louvres on the guards, although I always thought it was more for brake cooling than downforce.

Bryan Miller
Auckland NZ

Bruce McLaren - "Where's my F1 car?"
John Cooper - "In that rack of tubes, son"

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.