Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: The ultimate commuter
wildchild

posted on 11/4/06 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James

Emission free, costs 20p to fill up and sticks a couple of fingers up at the oil companies, the Middle East and the big motor companies. Yay!

Emission free assuming you have a wind turbine in your back garden.

I'm not convinced by a pure electric vehicle but it's got me thinking on the possibility of a hybrid vehicle. How about something that could do say..

30 miles on pure electric at up to 40mph
200 miles at up to 60/70mph on a tank of some combustible liquid.

Managing rolling changeovers between the two would be the biggest challenge methinks.

Spyderman

posted on 12/4/06 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wildchild

I'm not convinced by a pure electric vehicle but it's got me thinking on the possibility of a hybrid vehicle. How about something that could do say..

30 miles on pure electric at up to 40mph
200 miles at up to 60/70mph on a tank of some combustible liquid.

Managing rolling changeovers between the two would be the biggest challenge methinks.

One way around that problem would be to have a generator instead of an engine and drive system.
When running at higher speeds the generator would be assisting the batteries. At lower speeds the batteries would cope on their own. When the batteries droped to a certain voltage level the generator would kick in and could even be left charging if parked in an open area.
This would enable you to be less restrictive in your journeys (not needing to recharge at regular intervals) and would only limit your speed, encouraging economical use.

I realise that there are loses in converting energy forms, but in using every thing to help like regenerative braking it can only encourage better use of energy. Having two separate sources of energy available just encourages abuse of both.

Anyway the above method is copyright to me, so go and find your own way!

Spyderman

Syd Bridge

posted on 12/4/06 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Why try and redesign what is available already?

Try a classic Mini, but it does need a more efficient modern engine.

I've been involved in an electric project for a few years. Hybrid with a small diesel hooked up to a generator is the most useable.

And, electrics are not pollution free! They just move the pollution from the exhaust pipe to the power house. Unless you have a hydro station/wind turbine/solar/ other source than fossil fuel, to charge it up.

Cheers,
Syd.

wildchild

posted on 13/4/06 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
Main reason for me to build a custom chassis would be that I think it should definitely weigh less than 400kg (as an absolute maximum). There's not many cars that you would be able to strip down to that!

Oh, and I'm 6'4, which makes a Mini a little bit uncomfortable!

Simon

posted on 13/4/06 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
My commute is 3 miles each way,. Technically, I could get away with cycling, except I don't have a bicycle and don't want to damage the environment by getting someone to mine the steel to make it with

"Emission free, costs 20p to fill up and sticks a couple of fingers up at the oil companies, the Middle East and the big motor companies. Yay! "

James

There's nowt wrong with them, if that's your gripe. You'd be better pointing a finger at No11 (Gready Bastard, sorry Gordon Brown) who takes about 75p in the pound for doing NOTHING. At least the oil co's dig the stuff out of the ground and who face big tax bills without the Chancellor increasing cost 4 fold

My idea for an EFV (but bear in mind I think the whole global warming thing is a load of old nutsack anyway (very effecient way of increasing tax!) would be two s/hand bicycles welded togther. Couple of car batteries to power, solar panel on roof.

Simple really

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, if we use more oil and empty the resevoirs, we'll have huge holes where we can put all the melted ice caps

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 13/4/06 by Simon]

Syd Bridge

posted on 14/4/06 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
As odd as it sounds, electric vehicles are weighed WITHOUT the batteries. Thus making a small commuter vehicle under 400kg's is easy, and it goes into dvla as a 'lightweight quadricycle'. Much easier rego rules and simpler sva.

Cheers,
Syd.

wildchild

posted on 16/4/06 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
I think if I was going to try and make a hybrid I would probably put it through SVA before fitting any of the electric drive stuff.

Isn't there a very restrictive maximum power on quadricycles?

Syd Bridge

posted on 16/4/06 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wildchild
I think if I was going to try and make a hybrid I would probably put it through SVA before fitting any of the electric drive stuff.

Isn't there a very restrictive maximum power on quadricycles?

Power restriction applies to mopeds. If your 'quadricycle' is under 250kgs(or something near that, I'll have to check again.) then it is a moped. 2,3,or 4 wheels, makes no difference, if it's under 250 it's a moped, but only if power and speed are restricted.

If it can go more than 50kph, then it's a motorcycle, motor tricycle, or quadricycle; regardless of power. Also, quadricycles have an upper weight limit of something like 400kg's before it is a 'car'. (a BEC would nearly achieve this!)

If you're thinking of doing a hybrid, make it plain electric to start, then fit the petrol engine after sva and rego.

If it has a petrol/diesel engine of any sort when presented for sva and dvla, then it is a fossil fuelled car with electric transmission.

Been doing this cha cha for far too long!

If you want more info, get me on u2u and I'll dig out the rules. I've been playing with hybrids and electrics for more than 10 years.

Cheers,
Syd.

wildchild

posted on 18/4/06 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
It's more of an intellectual exercise than a serious project at the moment - I've got to get the Seven built and out of my dad's garage first!

But it's definitely something I'd like to have a go at in the future. I figure if I start thinking about it now, I might have a fairly sorted design in my head/on paper by the time I can actually commit to it.

wildchild

posted on 18/4/06 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
I've just been looking at the notes for the Motorcycle SVA here:

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/forms/application%20for%20ministers%20approval%20certificate%20for%20vehicles%20(msva%201).pdf

and it defines a heavy quadricycle as

weight - up to 400kg
power - up to 15kW

while a motor tricycle is

weight - up to 1000kg
power - no limit.

so if you have 4 wheels, you have the power limit.

I imagine you could get round this by putting it in as an electric vehicle (as I imagine the electric side of the hybrid setup would be less than 15kW), but what would be the legal/registration implications of adding an IC engine post SVA? Would it stop being a quadricycle?

edit: or of course, you could make it a three wheeler, but I've said before I think a fairly high driving position is important in a commuter vehicle, so i'd be worried about trying to build a stable 3-wheeler.

[Edited on 18/4/06 by wildchild]

ned

posted on 25/4/06 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
just spotted this:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4930794.stm

might be useful/interesting reading?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jon_boy

posted on 25/4/06 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
dihatsu charade?
wildchild

posted on 25/4/06 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
just spotted this:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4930794.stm

might be useful/interesting reading?

too slow

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=43571

as I said in that thread, I actually know a couple of the guys working on this so it's nice to see it getting a bit of publicity.

a locost version would be very cool, although it would require some serious engineering.

JonBowden

posted on 26/4/06 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Looks well cool to me.
As another way to achieve the lean in corners, what happens if you put the roll centre above the centre of gravity ?

Jon

wildchild

posted on 26/4/06 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=19502

I think you could probably make it 'work', but you might get some interesting characteristics and you'd want to make sure it was well damped.

I wonder as well if you could make it tilt like a bike (ie manual control of angle) but with some sort of power assistance.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.