Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Another petition - protecting engineers
MkIndy7

posted on 23/2/07 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gazza285

Sounds like your a gas fitter then.......

Not quite that simple of a role.. I spend most of the time repairing and fault finding
Then secondly servicing and thirdly instalation work if the equipment is broken beyond repair.

Althought I may not have all the relelvent qualifications etc I still require alot of the skills of those that are such as 3 phase wireing and control circuits, Metalworking, plumbing, and practical mathematics

And being such a multi role job and having to be competent in so many areas, I think makes it worthy of the title "engineer"

It also comes under the definition of enginer that was posted "in charge of instalation of plant" Which I am because on that day when i'm doing the job nobody is there to supervise.. other than myself!.

I'm probably taking this far too seriously/personally!

P.s I would also define an engineer as sombody who makes something.. fixes something.. makes something happen, and engineers a way around a "mechanical" problem

SixedUp

posted on 23/2/07 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
Ultimately, no matter what any of us may think of our own abilities, if we want to be formally recognised as an engineer (especially internationally), we need to join a professional body, and obtain our CEng.

And yes, that means paying subs, doing the training requirements, and passing the formal qualification interview.

Having said that, I personally find the whole "exclusivity" trip that Jon Jennings seems to be on very distasteful.

Cheers
Richard

gazza285

posted on 24/2/07 at 04:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MkIndy7
quote:
Originally posted by gazza285

Sounds like your a gas fitter then.......

Not quite that simple of a role.. I spend most of the time repairing and fault finding
Then secondly servicing and thirdly instalation work if the equipment is broken beyond repair.

Althought I may not have all the relelvent qualifications etc I still require alot of the skills of those that are such as 3 phase wireing and control circuits, Metalworking, plumbing, and practical mathematics

I'm a fitter and I do all those things. I work freelance and am usually involved in turn key projects starting with setting out, setting levels, structure erection, installation of machines, then air/water/hydraulic supply, commissioning and snagging. Most jobs I oversee the erection, installation and commissioning and do the snagging. Only thing I don't do is instrumentation and the electronics, but I do liaise with these people to ensure that the job runs smoothly. The engineer comes once a week. I have tools in the van ranging from feeler gauges to 14lb sledge hammers and take great pride in my work. I am still a fitter, but a very well paid one.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.