Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: so... is the world ending tomorrow?
Omni

posted on 9/9/08 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Steven Haking says there is a 1% chance of it achieving what it set out todo, let alone finish us off

Feckin' better odds than the damn lottery though!!! lol

O

RK

posted on 10/9/08 at 01:44 AM Reply With Quote
1% was enough to put me off laser eye surgery. That was the "failure rate". Not good odds...
russbost

posted on 10/9/08 at 06:33 AM Reply With Quote
Well, we'll be alright for a week or 2, they are only sending the photon beams around the ring to start with, they're not crashing them into one another.

BBC newsreader on whether it could create a black hole & blow us all to bits - "there's no danger, if it created a black hole it would only be for a fraction of a second"
Ummmm ..... how long did the big bang take - ahhh ... that was a fraction of a second, should be fine then!!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
theconrodkid

posted on 10/9/08 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
i,m ready,got some crisps and ive signaled the vogon constructor fleet,just got to walk my dog and put the rubbish out.....should i pay the gas bill ?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Guinness

posted on 10/9/08 at 06:44 AM Reply With Quote
I know that having a little sportscar isn't exactly environmentally friendly, but I've just insulated my loft, insulated under my floors, fitted low energy light bulbs, all in an effort to reduce my carbon footprint.

Does anyone know how much power this thing needs? I'm guessing it's not running on a 13amp plug / extension lead?

Cheers

Mike

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/9/08 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
Even if they did create a blackhole and it wasn’t travelling fast enough to just fly of into space, it would probably be weeks if not months before it was consuming enough to notice…then they’d be huge earthquakes, new mountain ranges would rise out the ground, the sea would start to flood the land since it does cover 3/4 ‘s of the shrinking surface, not to mention the rather large tidal waves. Near the end the air pressure would be much higher as the atmosphere got deeper and deeper, course the winds would be furious as the earths rotation speeds up as it shrinks. Finally the two ejector jets coming from the poles of the black hole would blast through the surface close to the speed of light vaporising everything in their paths and the ground, air and sea freefall in to the blackness below, the nothing but a black ball the size of a pea.

Personally I’d give it a miss…

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dave1888

posted on 10/9/08 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Even if they did create a blackhole and it wasn’t travelling fast enough to just fly of into space, it would probably be weeks if not months before it was consuming enough to notice…then they’d be huge earthquakes, new mountain ranges would rise out the ground, the sea would start to flood the land since it does cover 3/4 ‘s of the shrinking surface, not to mention the rather large tidal waves. Near the end the air pressure would be much higher as the atmosphere got deeper and deeper, course the winds would be furious as the earths rotation speeds up as it shrinks. Finally the two ejector jets coming from the poles of the black hole would blast through the surface close to the speed of light vaporising everything in their paths and the ground, air and sea freefall in to the blackness below, the nothing but a black ball the size of a pea.

so i guess we're doomed then

jabbahutt

posted on 10/9/08 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
do you think we'll get much notice if it goes pear shaped?

I haven't got to drive my car yet so if it's going to get dragged towards Switzerland at a rapid rate I'm wondering if I'd have time to get home push it onto the drive and strap in.

If I did would I have the world record for the fastest home built car

Agriv8

posted on 10/9/08 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
The black hole has not got to Bradford Yet ( not sure if id notice if it did ) but I would say

First time it has not rained for the last 3 months ( so keep the thing Switched on I say )

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

scudderfish

posted on 10/9/08 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

Now that would make a memorable November 5th!

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/9/08 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
ever wondered why no aliens have visited the earth...? no doubt there are probably millions of little black balls floating through space

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt_claydon

posted on 10/9/08 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guinness
Does anyone know how much power this thing needs? I'm guessing it's not running on a 13amp plug / extension lead?

As far as the machine itself is concerned - cryogenics (keeping the damn thing cold) use about 27.5 Megawatts and the experiments about 22 MW.

If it were running on 240 Volts that would be 206250 Amps, requiring 15866 separate 13A plugs

If you include all the supporting stuff like lab heating/lighting, computers, etc it's estimated the total is about 120 MW.

[Edited on 10/9/08 by matt_claydon]

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/9/08 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
and there's me being good and fitting energy saving bulbs in the house

iank

posted on 10/9/08 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
The beam is half way round according to radio 4 - ahead of schedule.

Switch on wasn't very media friendly if you were listening.

Nothing, nothing, concerned sounding frenchman talking quietly, nothing, flash on a monitor lots of suddenly very relieved sounding scientists cracking open a bottle of bubbly as the beam went round the first 3km.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

balidey

posted on 10/9/08 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_claydon
quote:

As far as the machine itself is concerned - cryogenics (keeping the damn thing cold) use about 27.5 Megawatts and the experiments about 22 MW.

If it were running on 240 Volts that would be 206250 Amps, requiring 15866 separate 13A plugs

If you include all the supporting stuff like lab heating/lighting, computers, etc it's estimated the total is about 120 MW.

Sorry, all I can think of is Prof Brown

quote:

No, no, no, no, no. This sucker's electrical. But I need a nuclear reaction to generate the 1.21 jigawatts of electricity I need

martyn_16v

posted on 10/9/08 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
I'll bet you any amount of cash we're still here next week

There are far more dangerous things in the world than the LHC. France and Russia's ageing fleet of nuclear reactors, George Bush's finger within 3 miles of the big red button...

Guinness

posted on 10/9/08 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Even Google are getting in on the act:-

Johnny Walker played REM's "It's the end of the world as we know it" at half eight too!

Mike

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/9/08 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
Assuming that it doesn’t destroy the earth and it found that partial, will it be turned into a giant fair ground ride or metro system? I’d image you’d lay on your back, maybe on a skateboard holding a lump of iron and then get dragged around at mach II by the magnets, quite good fun

Guinness

posted on 10/9/08 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
I've just checked Geneva on Google Earth!

Whoops!

Mike

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/9/08 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
All seems a bit familiar…

Phil.J

posted on 10/9/08 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
I think the date of the turn on is more significant:
10-9-8..................!

balidey

posted on 10/9/08 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Phil.J
I think the date of the turn on is more significant:
10-9-8..................!

I posted that a little higher up the posts.

At 07:06:05 that only left the 4,3,2,1 to go

Agriv8

posted on 10/9/08 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
all those Mw's thats a lot of 50p's for the meter !!!!!

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

BenB

posted on 10/9/08 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_claydon
quote:

that's why I thought it was amusing when the "expert" on TV this AM said they could use it to transmute other materials into fissile materials for using in nuclear reactors.

Surely a physicist would understand the basic laws of physics re energy in / energy out. consider the juice that that baby takes I very much doubt you could transmute enough stuff to make even half the energy required to create the fissile material in the first place (unless I'm missing out on something really obvious here!!!!)....

iank

posted on 10/9/08 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
Handy web site to monitor the situation...

http://www.hasthelhcdestroyedtheearth.com/

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.