Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What do we think of the iPad?
craig1410

posted on 1/1/12 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CraigJ
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
quote:
wow too many people need to get a life.

Its simple. Do you want one? if yes then buy it.

Come on, the OP did ask for opinions not sanctimonious attacks.

@DavidJ, you can pick up a new 1st gen for just over £200 and 2nd hand iPad 2 for around £250.

Sherlock Holmes was quite good by the way, time for a beer now!

[Edited on 31/12/2011 by craig1410]

Not an attack at the OP, more of an attack at the apple bummers.

Between me and my Mrs we have a destop pc, laptop, ipod touch and i have just got her a Blackberry playbook for xmas. She looked at the ipad and came to the conclusion that it is just a giant version of the ipod touch she already has and didn't want to spend 400 quid just for the apple tax.

To the OP take a look at the BB playbook. starts from £169 and for photos and browsing its spot on. There are also loads of other tablets out there to chose from that cost half of what an ipad costs.

You're right, there are some great deals on the Playbook available, because nobody is buying them! This is the worst advice I've heard yet!
At 7" the play book is a waste of time. Too small to be a tablet and doesn't even have a native email program. It's the joke of the industry and is slowly killing the company who made it. RIM's stock is worth 8% of what it was at its peak.

"Apple Bummers" - LOL. Sounds like a typical apple hater. Always a great source of balanced opinion...

CraigJ

posted on 1/1/12 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
He wants a device for photos and browsing right? at less than 200 quid it does the job right? For the size of the ipad you may as well buy a laptop. cheaper and better.

I don't hate apple just think they are very very over priced. I bet if the next ipad was released at 800 quid idiots like you would still buy it and apple will be pissing them self's laughing.

designer

posted on 1/1/12 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Not worth the money.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 1/1/12 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

..... idiots like you would still buy it

Bit strong! I'm not at apple fan as you can see from my earlier post, but just cos your opinions are a bit strong, no need to start insulting people.

It's the new year, so chill a bit!

ATB

Simon

craig1410

posted on 1/1/12 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
He wants a device for photos and browsing right? at less than 200 quid it does the job right? For the size of the ipad you may as well buy a laptop. cheaper and better.

I don't hate apple just think they are very very over priced. I bet if the next ipad was released at 800 quid idiots like you would still buy it and apple will be pissing them self's laughing.

Have a read of this before calling anyone else an idiot... LOL!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2011/dec/05/playbook-writeoff-rim-tablet-mistake

If you knew what you were talking about you would have bought an Amazon Kindle Fire which is basically a repurposed Playbook running a variant of the much more capable Android operating system. Hopefully you've kept your receipt for the Playbook as you could send it back and get a Kindle at a lower price and get more functionality. My bet is that RIM will start giving away Playbooks soon as it must be costing a fortune to store them all at present...

Anyway, I've got better things to do than argue with the likes of you so I'll wish you all the best for 2012 and leave it at that. Apologies to the OP for lowering the tone these last few posts.

@Simon, thanks mate.

Edit: I should mention, the Kindle Fire isn't released in the UK yet but should be this month.

[Edited on 1/1/2012 by craig1410]

CraigJ

posted on 1/1/12 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry but no i would not have bought the kindle. Like i said in my other post the tablet was for the Mrs not me. I can live my life with out it thanks. Also why do you seem to think i like blackberry? your post and link makes no difference to me what so ever.

As for the playbook being a big let down for blackberry means the Mrs got the playbook pretty cheap. She uses it for browsing, word, spread sheets etc. It does the job that she wants it to.

Also you never answered the questions, for browsing and photos there is nothing wrong with the playbook is there?

woodster

posted on 1/1/12 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
In a word BRILLIANT ........
Wheels244

posted on 1/1/12 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
I got my wife one for Christmas.
The laptop hasn't been turned on since.
As others have said - open the case I bought for it and it turns on instantly.
Pricewise - they're not cheap ! But unlike every other Windows operating device I use - it works
faultlessly, no crashing,freezing etc. I don't mind paying extra for quality and reliability.

I like them - but it's horses for courses.
Certainly not worth falling out over.

craig1410

posted on 2/1/12 at 12:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Sorry but no i would not have bought the kindle. Like i said in my other post the tablet was for the Mrs not me. I can live my life with out it thanks. Also why do you seem to think i like blackberry? your post and link makes no difference to me what so ever.

As for the playbook being a big let down for blackberry means the Mrs got the playbook pretty cheap. She uses it for browsing, word, spread sheets etc. It does the job that she wants it to.

Also you never answered the questions, for browsing and photos there is nothing wrong with the playbook is there?

Sorry, your personal insults must have distracted me from realising you had a serious question tucked away there...

I'm glad the fact the Playbook has been a monumental flop makes no difference to you whatsoever. I'm sure it's just fine for browsing the web and looking at photos even if the 7" widescreen format isn't ideal for those purposes. However, this is where price and value diverge somewhat. The iPad does sooooo much more than just browse the web and look at photos. I won't torment you further with the details but anyone who has used an iPad will know what I mean.

Enjoy!
C.

Marcus

posted on 2/1/12 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Just to add, there's a rumour going round that the iPad 3 will launch in Feb / March with 2 variants, a lite and a fully fledged version, also the iPad 2 will continue to be sold at about £200 to compete with the Kindle Fire et al, that should put the cat amongst the androids

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
craig1410

posted on 5/1/12 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
Just in case anyone else is thinking of getting a Playbook, you can now get 64GB model for same price as 16GB. I'd still recommend a Kindle Fire at the cheap end and iPad as the best premium tablet but this may still be of interest.

http://m.bgr.com/2012/01/03/new-sale-cuts-blackberry-playbook-price-by-as-much-as-400/

Cheers,
Craig.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 5/1/12 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
And since you all know you want one try watching wickedgadget. com
Possibly two of the best things I have ever done ever....
1 was get rid of the ex and
2 I was given an iPhone 3GS which is a great net access device (phones not good) but have a cranberry for that
I'm looking to get a massive desktop mac soon.
As for the iPad I dearly love to get one but with a little boy 8 yo ADHD the risk is too great.
We go through ds machines with alarming regularity.
Kinda get sick of fixing pcs as a day job then having to debug one at home.
As for the flash issue it's going away in as even the beeb are moving away from it.
I tunes is a pain but I only had yo load it once and genius does the rest.

Oh and pcs are so easy to leak.
Remember that when your next doing online banking

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 5/1/12 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote

zilspeed

posted on 5/1/12 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone who underestimates the likely growth in the tablet market in the next 12 months or so, is very out of touch IMHO.

Productivity is one thing, but these things are about a consumer experience.
The combinations of the might of the apple app store, its ease of use and the intuitive interface of the iPad make it so simple.

Android as a tablet format is tainted by all the low end junk out there which is barely capable of turning itself on far less doing anything.
Where does an Android tablet become usable, how much do you need to spend ?

I'm only a few weeks into my iOS experience, been playing and working with PCs since 1990 or so.

The fact that an iOS device just goes and works sells it for me.

When we had the storms the other day, it took me longer to boot the PC and get useful advice from the met office than it did to unlock the iPhone, install the met office app from the app store and gave the info in front of me.

I started both at the same time and the iPhone had the app installed and the info there in well under a minute.

YMMV.

bj928

posted on 5/1/12 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
i like the look of the new ASUS Transformer prime, the experts are saying its a match for the ipad, also has a clip in keyboard that makes it into a netbook, and the keyboard has a second battery giving it a very long battery life, worth a look, i will be getting my first apple product soon, an iphone 4s or maybe a 5 if they out in time.
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 5/1/12 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
FYI

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/9658670.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/9585673.stm

Some interesting points raised about the cheaper options.

Kobo can be rooted and fully featured in a locost way

[Edited on 5-1-12 by mangogrooveworkshop]

Concept Vehicle Leasing

posted on 5/1/12 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
iPad

I love the iPad, however, I recently got given the Samsung Tablet which is really good too, it enables you to be really organised and you don't have to pay for it by adding tonnes of Apps!
I'd say test some out before you buy as there's great deals still happening throughout lots of technology stores! Best of luck!

Rini

Concept Vehicle Leasing ,
Car Leasing and Contract Hire Experts

zilspeed

posted on 5/1/12 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Is that the Galaxy Tablet ?

Proby

posted on 5/1/12 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
I've learnt something new today, I'm Proud to be an "apple bummer".
Concept Vehicle Leasing

posted on 6/1/12 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
Is that the Galaxy Tablet ?

It sure is! It's actually really good, I was impressed even though I am an Apple fan! Also, after playing around with the new Galaxy Nexus, it's safe to say, that unless the iPhone5 comes out with something remarkable, I will be moving!

Concept Vehicle Leasing ,
Car Leasing and Contract Hire Experts

ceebmoj

posted on 6/1/12 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
I'm a developer and have a stack of apple, android and other devices on my desk. as others have said go play and buy what you like.

Apple products have been polished to the point that they have a mirror like shine. They are not however mesire If all you want is a bit of light browsing and an experience simalaer but bigger that iPhone they are good. as some one posted earlier if you what midi interface they are great.

Android, cheap ones are bad. mid and hi price ones are good to great. can do everything the apple stuff does is a little cheaper also just works.

Others, on the hole not as good as Apple or Android

Right now the device I take home is the Asus Transformer, its just so versatile I suspect that the prime with key board will be the device I spend my own cash on and is what I recommend when asked.

woodster

posted on 7/1/12 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
ipad = brilliant ...... and thats ALL you need to know = END OF THREAD
splitrivet

posted on 7/1/12 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
Missus bought me a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 last year brilliant bit of kit same price as a Ipad I believe but Itunes dont have you by the nuts.
Ive got an Iphone and an Ipod touch so didnt want to go down the apple route again. Only thing I can say where its let down over an Ipad is Android apps most of which appear to be written for Phones and dont translate to the bigger tablet too well and a lot of which seem to be work in progress which freeze for no apparent reason no doubt that will change now Google own Motorola and thier tablet will be pushed more.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.