Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Teesside Autodrome Trackday 21st April 08
DarrenW

posted on 21/4/08 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Aww bugger - thats not what he needs. Is his block fairly std or was it a bit special?

Hope its not too expensive.

petrolhead

posted on 21/4/08 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hope you all enjoyed yourselves. Although car less I also had fun as it gave me more time to talk to people.

Here are my photos (http://s76.photobucket.com/albums....de%2008) which were taken after lunch, sorry I did not get everyone but I feel sure either Ian Hardy or Geoff Hubbert will have. I wil post links to their photos once I have them

Andy D

posted on 21/4/08 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
Aww bugger - thats not what he needs. Is his block fairly std or was it a bit special?

Hope its not too expensive.

To be honest Darren, I'm not sure. I think it's probably a standard bottom end, with arp bolts, and balanced. The cheap solution would be a second hand block, and plonk his head on it, limiting the revs to a more sane 7K, but I think he'll probably want to return the motor to it's original spec...

Andy D

posted on 21/4/08 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote

That's me pretending I drive a BEC with no reverse! or......maybe the throttle cable came undone.

DarrenW

posted on 21/4/08 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
I geddit - you 2 buggers were racing werent you???? Come on 'fess up - ill not tell anyone, honest

You are probs right about his bottom end. Are the rod bolts re-useable? Should be possible to get std 2.0 engine for reasonable cost and the 2.0 cams will be useful for someone with 1.8. I somehow think he will take opportunity to guarantee the 220bhp he is searching for.

Andy D

posted on 21/4/08 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
I geddit - you 2 buggers were racing werent you???? Come on 'fess up - ill not tell anyone, honest

You are probs right about his bottom end. Are the rod bolts re-useable? Should be possible to get std 2.0 engine for reasonable cost and the 2.0 cams will be useful for someone with 1.8. I somehow think he will take opportunity to guarantee the 220bhp he is searching for.

I had a brief go at sticking with him, and surprisingly there wasn't much in it down the straight and the "big" corner, but I couldn't stay with him round the twiddly bits. I know how that car goes, having driven it at Rockingham, it is very nimble in tight twisty corner situations!

We'll get the engine out and give it a good looking at, then decide what is to be done. sigh!

petrolhead

posted on 22/4/08 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
here and here are the photos from Ian and Geoff, many,many more than I took
PAUL FISHER

posted on 22/4/08 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
Great track day,thanks to Peter for sorting it all out,very good value for money,and a well run day,Its a difficult track to learn,only just got up to some sort of speed towards the end of the day,,looking through the afternoons video,I was lapping at best 50 and a average 51 seconds,so realy could do with another day to get to grips with it,on slicks next time,Its very hard work on your arms,and that was without my slicks fitted,its all corners you never have chance to rest,now I know how unfit I am,good to meet a few more locostbuilders,I had the video fitted in the afternoon,I will post a few video's. Rescued attachment teesside1.jpg
Rescued attachment teesside1.jpg

grahamgg

posted on 22/4/08 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
here's some more pics .

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

coozer

posted on 22/4/08 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Wahooooo! What a hoot, first time out for my car, had a great time...

Roll on the next on

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Guinness

posted on 22/4/08 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Yup, another great day at a "site meeting"

I only managed a few photo's.
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
boro trackday 4
boro trackday 4

Si
Si

Cheers

Mike

Andy D

posted on 22/4/08 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a hastily put together bit of video. Stick with it to the end to witness the red arrows style bomb burst manoeuvre!

Smoke on!

petrolhead

posted on 23/4/08 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
Brilliant, recognised the thumb

I was just waiting for that to happen

petrolhead

posted on 23/4/08 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
Pics now on the ne7ers gallery

http://www.ne7ers.org.uk/pics/gallery2/v/ne7ers+events/Teeside_April_08/

gingerprince

posted on 23/4/08 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chris mason
is that a new exhaust system on Sy's car or has he just painted it?

Nah, just a winter lick of silver paint Looks better than rusty steel but will have to see how it copes over time. Used a brush-on POR-20 high temp exhaust paint so will see if it lasts any better than the spray on black VHT I used last time.

Had a great time once again so thanks to Pete/Mike for organising. New Kliktronic shifter was fun (and my ghetto-paddles worked a charm!), but still needs a bit of tweaking - shifting was fine with clutch, but clutchless upshifts were hit and miss - that needs sorting before I fit the Techtronics ignition cut unit!

Oh and once again I lost a bit of bodywork This time it was a front wing! They were bolted on with new bolts after I'd painted my wing stays over the winter. Had temporarily fastened them with normal nuts and had planned to replace with nylocs before driving. Bought the nylocs but forgot to use them after all the other little jobs I had to do - still, at least I get to keep my reputation

Big shame about Hellfire too Not great to see anyone dink their P&J like that, but again at least no one was hurt. I'll drink to a swift recovery!

Hellfire

posted on 23/4/08 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Last run of the day. I wasn't going to bother but decided to take it for one last blast. Big mistake but sh!t happens

I lost the back end and unfortunately on a part of the track that had no run-off. I had no time to correct it (even if I did have the skill) and shunted the tyre wall which ultimately snapped the steering rack from it's mounts, bent the N/S lower bottom wishbone and damaged the nosecone.

Fortunately there were no injuries (other than to my pride). We were having issues with the handling all day which needed looking at. Guess we'll just be looking at, and correcting them a bit sooner than planned.

It'll be back on the road/track in a few weeks with some slight modifications and a few new bits.

Despite the slight mishap it was a great day, so a big thanks to Peter and everyone else who attended for making it so much fun. I'm sure we'll get some video up shortly.

Phil

Andy D

posted on 23/4/08 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Last run of the day. I wasn't going to bother but decided to take it for one last blast. Big mistake but sh!t happens

I lost the back end and unfortunately on a part of the track that had no run-off. I had no time to correct it (even if I did have the skill) and shunted the tyre wall which ultimately snapped the steering rack from it's mounts, bent the N/S lower bottom wishbone and damaged the nosecone.

Fortunately there were no injuries (other than to my pride). We were having issues with the handling all day which needed looking at. Guess we'll just be looking at, and correcting them a bit sooner than planned.

It'll be back on the road/track in a few weeks with some slight modifications and a few new bits.

Despite the slight mishap it was a great day, so a big thanks to Peter and everyone else who attended for making it so much fun. I'm sure we'll get some video up shortly.

Phil

Yep, it's always just the last one when it happens! Felt gutted for you, as I was right behind when you went off. The back end of your car did look very "bouncy", and it occasionally kicked a rear wheel in the air when you turned into a bend. Looked like the front was sprung too soft, or the rear too hard, or a bit of both... I've a fair bit of video footage if you want it for analysis, right up to when you went off. Doesn't show the impact, just losing the back end, and disapearing off to the left.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

gingerprince

posted on 23/4/08 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire

Cool. I take it the chassis looked OK when you got the nose off then?

Hellfire

posted on 23/4/08 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Andy, you have U2U.

Phil

petrolhead

posted on 23/4/08 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Message from Ian Hardy re the photos he took at the trackday:

If anydy want prints I will do them at 50% discount on these prices
http://www.ianhardy.net/buy_a_photo.php

(Excluding the 30x20 poster and calendars.) At track days I normally do CD's with 8-10 full res images on for £25.00 so they will also be half price but people would have to email me because if they use the online ordering I can't discount the prices.

[Edited on 23/4/08 by petrolhead]

PAUL FISHER

posted on 23/4/08 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andy D
Here's a hastily put together bit of video. Stick with it to the end to witness the red arrows style bomb burst manoeuvre!

Smoke on!

Nice video Andy keep the coming,that was the old man Keith driving the Hellfire car,I just hope I will be able to drive like that when I am a pensioner,although some people would say I drive like a pensioner now,gutted for team Hellfire though,been there done that,so I know how they feel,I know they will soon be back on the track though,meaner and leaner,and a bit less bouncey,and maybe a set of slicks for next time,to be fair to Phil,his incident,I believe his main problem was on that track the R888 were like chewing gum after 3 laps

Guinness

posted on 24/4/08 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
Keith is a star!

I can second Paul's comment about the R888's on that track. I got very little grip at all from them during the first lap and a half. By the time I'd come out of the complex a second time, they were fine. Then after about 5-6 more laps they just "went off". All of a sudden you get loads of slip, like there is oil / water on the circuit.

I don't think it's a problem with the R888's themselves, just that the track is so tight and twisty, the tyres have a lot of work to do. Added to the fact that we all seemed to be doing a bit of drifting round the final big turn!

Hope Team Hellfire get their modifications done OK.

Mike

Andy D

posted on 24/4/08 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Have about one and a half hours of footage from the day, so may get some more on youtube sometime.
Re the grip situation, my slicks were behaving much the same as others. A couple of laps to get them warm, OK for a handfull more, then lost grip, particularly on the fronts. Locked up a couple of times into the chicane, and had to straight line it over the hump. Left some pretty impressive skid marks! (On the track too! ) I eventually got round to looking at the pressures in the afternoon, they were far too high when hot, so dropped them down, and it made an improvement.
I always go these events intending to have a play with tyre pressures, shock setting etc, but usually just end up driving the tits off it!!

PAUL FISHER

posted on 24/4/08 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Yes Andy grip on the track was poo,it most likely has something to do with it being a kart track,two stroke karts throw out a fine oil mist,they may well have had a kart meeting over the weekend,also they use it for a drift circuit,that can't help the grip.
Andy D

posted on 24/4/08 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
Yes Andy grip on the track was poo,it most likely has something to do with it being a kart track,two stroke karts throw out a fine oil mist,they may well have had a kart meeting over the weekend,also they use it for a drift circuit,that can't help the grip.

So, would you do another day there? I think Peter (organiser) is having doubts about getting the required numbers for another one. I really like the place, not sure if the grip on the day was less than previous visits or not.. Still found it loads of fun, sliding around. At £85 for the day, I reckon it's very good value?? Chips too!

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.