Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: "official" mid engine locost?
Philippe

posted on 31/12/05 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Cymtriks Middy design

Cymtriks,
I have looked at your middy design and I find it quite attractive. My own views of a middy locost reflects what I have read on this forum: keep the rear end portion as compact and short as possible and don't try to shorten the front hood unreasonably. I would like to retain as many features from the original Locost 7 as possible. But my priority now is to find chassis blueprints.

akumabito

posted on 1/1/06 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
I like Donno's bodywork actually... very basic. It seems like a great design for a modern sandrail/buggy type car. Shold be loads of fun!
TheGecko

posted on 1/1/06 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
I'm taking the minimalist approach with my bodywork too. The only fibreglass bits will be the nosecone and front/rear guards (and maybe the scuttle). The sides, bonnet, back panel and engine lid are all sheet ali. Image of 1:10 model attached to illustrate:
Gecko model with silver sides
Gecko model with silver sides

On the mend now from the worst year (and a bit) of my/our life and able to return to work on the car. Chassis design is finalised (old partly completed chassis is getting cut up - oh well) and most major parts are in hand. Picked up a nice set of MX-5 seats for a good price a few weeks ago and there aren't too many other major bits to buy (steering wheel, instruments, harnesses are the big ones). Almost final chassis design is attached (final one has the front tapered like a Locost rather than square and the rear is a little bit different in details - I just don't have a render of it handy):

Chassis model 3 - incomplete
Chassis model 3 - incomplete

Book "The DIY Sportscar - A guide for the home builder" will be in good bookstores sometime in 2008... or maybe 2009.... or maybe....

Happy New Year too everyone.

Dominic

akumabito

posted on 2/1/06 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
How much forward would the seats have to be (when compard to a normal seven) to accomodate for an engine behind the seats?

Would this do? It doesn't look all that bad really, and most bodypanels could be identical to a regular Locost...

akumabito

posted on 2/1/06 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Or this one.. the "middy-version" of a photoshoped 7 I did before..

kb58

posted on 2/1/06 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheGecko
I'm taking the minimalist approach with my bodywork too. The only fibreglass bits will be the nosecone and front/rear guards (and maybe the scuttle). The sides, bonnet, back panel and engine lid are all sheet ali. Dominic

I think Dominic has the right idea. All the other approaches are nice but require a lot of composite work. Who's going to make these "Locost" composite parts? Far, far, easier to use existing Super-7/Locost composite pieces and make them work in a mid-engine configuration. Not perfect, not gorgeous, but realistic, doable, and affordable - isn't that what this is all about?

[Edited on 1/2/06 by kb58]

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
FUORISERIE

posted on 2/1/06 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
I agree that, a minimum of bodywork is the way to go for the official mid engine Locost, and will try to show something.

It will be more basic than my earlier sketches

Philippe

posted on 4/1/06 at 01:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by akumabito
How much forward would the seats have to be (when compard to a normal seven) to accomodate for an engine behind the seats?

Would this do? It doesn't look all that bad really, and most bodypanels could be identical to a regular Locost...

Akumabito you draw very nice cars. Do you have a webpage?

Philippe

FUORISERIE

posted on 4/1/06 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
some of my old sketches for a mid-engine locost
FUORISERIE

posted on 4/1/06 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
here it is
FUORISERIE

posted on 4/1/06 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
the other
FUORISERIE

posted on 4/1/06 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
The idea was to use an existing chassis, ideally something similar to the Sylva Mojo's with a few modifications, and create a new body shape to fit.

These were early sketches but are pretty close to the final design...

Let me know what you all think about it

Thanks guys

crassfc3s

posted on 5/1/06 at 12:03 AM Reply With Quote
im really having trouble finding solid plans for a mid engine chassis, im planning on fabricating the body myself something similar to the LMP but a little more Me. anyway if anyone had any info on it id be very interested i was thinking of shortening the nose of a Book chassis and adding length to the back the motor ill be using in the setup is a turbo 4age. so if anyone has any info or can point me in the right direction that would be awesome! my aim screen name is Crassfc3sdrft and my yahoo is blacklabel4666@yahoo.com you can also U2U me on here =D thanks guys!
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.