Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: a-level question (sorry)
ChrisButler

posted on 19/5/06 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
No, not the speed of light: the speed of sound in the metal (much faster than the speed of sound in air, but much slower than the speed of light).
DIY Si

posted on 19/5/06 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Easiest way to look at it is as a compression wave going down the pipe. It'll travel just as a sound wave would in air. Ie at the speed of sound, which will be much, much higher than it is in air.
JoelP

posted on 19/5/06 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
you could probably make it exceed the speed of sound of a given material if you forced it, with similar effects to a sonic boom. Would be interesting to see anyway.
DIY Si

posted on 19/5/06 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure how you'd get it to go that fast. You'd need a very rapidly moving piston to exceed the speed of sound in the fluid. And what would happen inside the pipe? Or would the pipe just rupture due to the huge force?
Just as a thought, could you fire something at a very high speed into/through a tank of the fluid to get the effect? But how would you fire something at such a high speed? Probably looking at 5~10+ times the speed of sound in air?

cossey
Contributor

Posts 430
Registered 5/12/05
Location Kent

Photo Archive Go!
Building: a pile of bits that will someday be a fisher fury

posted on 19/5/06 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
1stly you probably couldnt get the piston to go fast enough it would have to go over 1200m/s which is about 2700mph to break the speed of sound.

2ndly most m/cs the output is smaller than the piston so the fluid would go faster through the connection until it hit mach 1 then the connection would become a chocked nozzle and the pressure would just increase so that the piston couldnt go any faster. the piston would be doing a few hundred mph though. all assuming it didnt blow itself apart.

MikeR

posted on 19/5/06 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
but, assuming your housing was strong enough and you could force the piston fast enough ..........

could it be done? To me it seems, obvious, yes. Just needs an incredibly fast strong piston.

now will someone interject with the correct physics to explain why i'm talking out of my arse as usual

JoelP

posted on 19/5/06 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
easier to imagine knocking the steel bar rather than the brake fluids, then you can ignore fluid dynamics and stuff. So assuming you accelerated a mass in a vacuum, maybe by electromagnetism, and smashed it into a long steel bar, its easy to imagine what would happen! The bar would crumple up, hence proving that you cant send a signal up a bar of steel faster than the speed of wave propigation in steel.
Tom Beattie

posted on 19/5/06 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Fascinating, so if you are travelling at the speed of light and look over your shoulder I presume you see nothing?.

According to the saying "you can't find where you're going til you know where you've been" so you'll be lost, like me reading this thread. And I thought the suspension geometry was hard!!!!

DIY Si

posted on 19/5/06 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
You would see backwards at just below the speed of light. The trick is remebering that time slows down as you approach the speed of light. So as you approach the speed of light, light still ctaches you up, but very slowly. However, since time has slowed it would appear as normal. At the speed of light, time should stand still, so you wouldn't be able to turn you're head round!

[Edited on 19/5/06 by DIY Si]

Tom Beattie

posted on 19/5/06 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
My head is spinning at the speed of light!!!!!!
Simon

posted on 19/5/06 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Ok,

If nothing can exceed the speed of light, and given that black holes have such huge gravitational forces that light cannot escape (hence the name), surely gravity itself is exceeding the speed of light.

ATB

Simon

DIY Si

posted on 19/5/06 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
It's not that gravity is reaching out to the light (and therefore going faster) it's that the light, being a wave-particle is drwan to the source of gravity. Light for example will "bend" round planets, so it's possable to see something behind the planet. Assuming it's a fair way off mind. Hence, balck holes have such a huge gravitational attraction that they bend the light so much it curves in towards the balck hole in a spiral which ends at the black hole itself. Whatever that is.
MikeR

posted on 19/5/06 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
but i will now refer you to my previous statement. We have proved on this planet the speed of light varies. Gravity affects it and can slow or speed it up (a very tiny amount).

SO, if the speed of light isn't constent how can some particles exceed when compared to somewhere else. Doesn't make sense to me.

But i'm soooo far out of my depth i've come out the other side!

C10CoryM

posted on 20/5/06 at 03:37 AM Reply With Quote
Theory of relativity doesn't say that nothing can go faster than the speed of light. It only restricts information and any information carrier from going faster than light speed. I think the best example I've heard is of a powerful laser aimed millions of miles away into space. The end of the laser beam would be moving over the speed of light if you started waving the laser around frantically.
Also, speed of light is definitely NOT constant. People have slowed, stopped and restarted light. Its called "slow light". Also do a search for "Fast light" too . It just seems wrong to me that things would drastically change at the speed of light. People thought planes would explode at the speed of sound too.

FYI I have nfc what I am talking about. Just trivia I have picked up over the years. I forget who said it, but I like this quote:

"Why do people argue about how many stars there are? Because they will never be proven wrong!"
Applies to the whole light speed thing I think .
Cheers.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jollygreengiant

posted on 20/5/06 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liam
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
neither energy, information or matter can exceed the speed of light. If you get a metal bar 2 miles long, when you whack one end the other end will not move instantly, a ripple of compression will move (very fast) to the other end, but the speed of light will never be breached. The same as hydraulic fluid, it doesnt noticably compress but in fact, it does fractionally.

Guess you're right of course. Just that i was thinking more along the lines of a metal rod extending to about the sun. Pull on one end and it'd take 8 minutes for the other end to move. Well yeah i guess it would. How interesting. (and that's ignoring pedantic details like the fact i would struggle to overcome the billions of tonnes of inertia of my metal rod and pull it at all, etc etc etc)

Liam

Ah but you couldn't have a metal rod from the sun to us. Firstly the suns temperature is to high and the rod would melt as soon as it got within a few thousand miles of the sun. Secondly the sun exerts a far greater gravitational pull so a soon as the rod got near to the sun then a chain reaction would occur that would pull the rod into the sun (melting asside), so you would need to continually supply metal rod from this end and we would eventually run out of supplies of metal rod, or, you would need to exert a strong clamping force at this end which would result in two effects. Either the Earth would be pulled toward the sun by the metal rod OR when you eventually found a thermal protection suit and got to the end of the rod to hit it with a hammer (IF you could withstand the gravitational forces AND the heat) you would eventually knock the Earth out of orbit when the strike manifested its self down the bar, IF the forces of the strike were not cancelled out by other celestial forces that we have not thought of explaining away with all this theorising.

Enjoy

[Edited on 20/5/06 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

MikeR

posted on 20/5/06 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
Some people just don't know how to have a theoretical conversation and try to spoil it with there bully fact boy tatics!

humph, i'm sulking now!

DIY Si

posted on 20/5/06 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I think the best example I've heard is of a powerful laser aimed millions of miles away into space. The end of the laser beam would be moving over the speed of light if you started waving the laser around frantically

Sorry, but that's wrong. The end of the laser beam is moving forwards at the speed of light and so as you move it side ways the light leaving the laser at that time has just been pointed somewhere else. Only that light moves, not the entire beam. It's not solid remember. And even if it were it would still move with the speed of the compression wave down it, as one particle has to exert a force on the adjacent one, and so on, down the bar to make it move.

C10CoryM

posted on 20/5/06 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
quote:

I think the best example I've heard is of a powerful laser aimed millions of miles away into space. The end of the laser beam would be moving over the speed of light if you started waving the laser around frantically

Sorry, but that's wrong. The end of the laser beam is moving forwards at the speed of light and so as you move it side ways the light leaving the laser at that time has just been pointed somewhere else. Only that light moves, not the entire beam. It's not solid remember. And even if it were it would still move with the speed of the compression wave down it, as one particle has to exert a force on the adjacent one, and so on, down the bar to make it move.

Well it is mostly right, but only if you explain it better than I did last night (lazy).
Shine a visible laser at a far away planet at point A and quickly move it to point B. The visible dot will move from A-B faster than a laser at A can emit light to B. It doesn't affect relativity because the dot is not capable of sending information, or moving any matter. The dot is mearly a coordinate.
I think thats right. If not read the attached links. Im sure they are much smarter than me. Relativity is not a area interest to me so I don't think about it often (or well ). Some of the paradoxes are neat though.
Cheers.

Info
http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae497.cfm
http://members.tripod.com/conduit9SR/SR11.html
http://www.antonine-education.co.uk/Physics_A2/Options/Module_8/Topic_6/answer_8_6_8.htm
http://www.phy.duke.edu/research/photon/qelectron/proj/infv/fast_tut.ptml

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 20/5/06 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
theres several reasons why thats all wrong unfortunately, but i cant be arsed to go into it. Too late in the day

but i get what you mean, the dot can move faster than light because it isnt a continous entity.

[Edited on 20/5/06 by JoelP]

DIY Si

posted on 20/5/06 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
Nope, still not true. The dot only appears once the newly aimed leaser has emmited light in that direction and it's arrived at that point. If you want to look at it from an info carrying point of view, a laser IS an info carrying/emitting device. Just ask any tele comms techy. The dot can not appear at the new point until the light has arrived, so it can't travel faster than the light making the dot.
MikeR

posted on 21/5/06 at 01:00 AM Reply With Quote
For one i agree with someone - that makes perfect sense to me (but then again i like to think of myself as a techy )
JoelP

posted on 21/5/06 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
Nope, still not true. The dot only appears once the newly aimed leaser has emmited light in that direction and it's arrived at that point. If you want to look at it from an info carrying point of view, a laser IS an info carrying/emitting device. Just ask any tele comms techy. The dot can not appear at the new point until the light has arrived, so it can't travel faster than the light making the dot.

look at it like this. You point a laser one way, lets say it shows up on a wall 100 light years away. You wiggle it, the dot moves. If you suddenly turn it by 180 degrees and point it at another wall, again 100 light years away, the dot would appear there 100 years later, and the dot would also still be on the first wall 100 years later, so the dot would appear to have moved 200 light years in no time at all. How to explain this? Does the dot move in jumps? Does it disappear and reappear? No, it would just move. And in this case, i fail to see how any information could be sent from one wall to the other. Modifying the dot at the first wall wouldnt allow info to be sent to the second wall because the dot is being constantly refreshed from the source, hence it can only be changed from here.

MikeR

posted on 21/5/06 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Imagine firing a water cannon at a wall 100m away.

The water is leaving the cannon at 50m/s. So it takes 2 seconds for the water to get to the wall.

You flip the cannon round to a wall 180 degrees away in less than a second. You leave a curved trail of water as you do the move, its not a straight line moving round because you're moving so quickly.

The shape of the curve will depend on how quickly you move the cannon. Really quickly and the curve will all be at the cannon nozzel. Really slowly and the curve will be 100m out.

the same is true of light the light, i've just used a different medium.

(folks, i know i've simplied a lot of physics there, but that works out in my head so PLEASE don't tell me i'm wrong).

DIY Si

posted on 21/5/06 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
The point is, the dot isn't a fixed entity (for want of a better word) All the dot is is this emitted light. It isn't a thing in it's own right, it's merely the light running into something and reflecting. Also as you wiggle the laser, the dot would take 100 years to follow your wiggles. (I think you already know this, but for any reading that didn't...) So, going on your thinking, yes the dot may appear to travel 200 light years, but it's a totally different dot caused by totally different photons hitting a different wall. And I may be wrong about this, but I thought light always carried information due to it being a discrete wavelength. Ie if nothing else it carries that info around. Could be wrong on that bit though.
JoelP

posted on 21/5/06 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
assuming the wall goes all the way round, 100m away, then the 'splodge' would move 314m in one second.
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.