Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: a-level question (sorry)
JoelP

posted on 21/5/06 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
i think we're both singing from the same sheet here si, we agree the dot isnt real or continous and that it (the dot, not the light) can appear to move damned fast
DIY Si

posted on 21/5/06 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
I think we're arguing over a very minor point in all fairness. I hear what you're saying, just partly being awkward and partly just being me. Just wasn't sure if you quite understood the thing about it being a different dot.
And about the water cannon, it'll take 3 secs for the water to move round not 1, since you forgot the 2 secs for it to get to the wall.

MikeR

posted on 21/5/06 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
exactly, the nozel will move round in 1 second but it will take the point of water hitting hte wall 3 seconds.

hold on ....... have i just argued against my own point here?

JoelP

posted on 21/5/06 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
sorry, both wrong! the original line of water will continue hitting the wall for two seconds before it starts to move! hence still only a second. Think if you rotated it continously, it would have to keep up.
Liam

posted on 21/5/06 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah there's definately no problem with the 'dot' moving faster than the speed of light, and it definately can. As has been explained its intuitive to consider the dot as one single entity moving, but it isn't at all. You're just spraying a load of separate photons out into the universe at a big wall, all at the speed of light, and seeing [some of] them reflect back in a big mexican wave of photons. No single thing is making the faster-than-light-speed journey along the wall that the dot seems to make. Seeing that dot appear to move faster than light is no more amazing than the fact that you can simultaneously observe stars that are millions of light years apart by just looking into the sky.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DIY Si

posted on 21/5/06 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Nope, still 3 sec 1 sec to move, 2 more for the water to hhit the wall at the new point.
JoelP

posted on 21/5/06 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
im going to argue for the sake of it now

You're firing water at a wall and its taking two second to reach the wall. You spin it round, taking 1 second to travel the 180 degrees. At this point, water is still hitting the original spot and will do for another second, and at the end of this second second , water will be halfway towards the new spot. From now, its only one second til water hits the new spot, and if you wanted to be picky, you can imagine the splodge rushing all the way round the wall, following the path of the nozzle but 2 seconds delayed, since its taken 2 seconds to reach every spot the nozzle aimed at.

DIY Si

posted on 21/5/06 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
We're still arqueing about the dot type thing really. Just the same as with the light. New point, new splodge.....
Liam

posted on 21/5/06 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Er you're both correct but giving times for different events aren't you?...

DIY Si is saying the total time from the start of the movement of the nozzle to the splodge/dot arriving in the new position on the wall is 3 seconds. That's correct.

JoelP is saying the time the splodge/dot takes to move on the wall is just 1 second, matching the movement of the nozzle. Also correct. The splodge/dot simply follows the hose 2 seconds later. For the first 2 of DIY Si's 3 seconds the splodge/dot doesn't go anywhere, then it moves accross the wall in 1 second, 'magically' exceeding the speed-of-water, just as the laser dot appears to exceed the speed-of-light.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DIY Si

posted on 21/5/06 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
what he said really ^. We're both right. Which is nice, but on different things.
JoelP

posted on 21/5/06 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
d'oh
DIY Si

posted on 21/5/06 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Indeed. And it only took 3-4 pages for someone else to point it out.
Liam

posted on 21/5/06 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Heh heh

Incidentally, the best laymans guide to getting your head round the counter-intuitive wierdness of special relativity I've ever found is here...

HERE

Manages to show all the concepts very clearly with good diagrams and almost no maths at all!

Hmmmm now then, time to move onto general relativity.... I'll get me coat...

Liam

trogdor

posted on 22/5/06 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
to make things even weirder, scientists have recently manged to teleport a laser across a room. which is pretty impressive!

also there is a pretty good thery going round that it may be possible to send photons back in time. which means info can be sent back in time.

jollygreengiant

posted on 22/5/06 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
I sent this post in on christmas day 2007

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Simon

posted on 22/5/06 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trogdor
to make things even weirder, scientists have recently manged to teleport a laser across a room. which is pretty impressive!

also there is a pretty good thery going round that it may be possible to send photons back in time. which means info can be sent back in time.

Well, I guess they haven't succeeded as I see no mention of warp engines or working teleporters (no, a laser doesn't count - I want matter!)

For what it's worth, I don't believe that the "speed of light" is as fast as you can go. There may be a limit to physical movement, but I reckon that once the theory of warping spacetime, then real distances will be covered (yeah, as will be invented by Zephraim Cochrain - hey maybe they have been transmitting data back through time).

ATB

Simon

JoelP

posted on 22/5/06 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
warp speed mr sulu!
DIY Si

posted on 22/5/06 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
It could become possible if someone figures out how to warp space time enough to create 'tunnels' in spacetime. Can't see it happening anytime soon, as this would surely require an absolutely awesome amount of power? Ie more than a couple (?) of large stars create. But then in the past it was considered impossable to go over 35 mph in a train as they thought the speed would suck the air out of your lungs and kill you, so who knows what tomorrow brings? A apart from more bloody rain and another exciting day at work.

[Edited on 22/5/06 by DIY Si]

trogdor

posted on 23/5/06 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
yeah its wierd to think when that guy builds this light time machine of his, if it works then messages will come from the future straight away. would be interesting to see what is sent back!

yeah there is the whole idea of wormholes allowing "shortcuts" through space. it depends on the idea of space being curved tho.

if we are gonna talk about wormholes then we may as well mention parallel universes. they are really interesting! from the work done on string and M theory which is based on parallel univeres there is apparently 11 diamentions, 10 space one time. instead of 3 space and one time! also from this work they beleive gravity doesn't originate from this universe. It "leaks" in from a parallel universe, this would explain why its so weak!

02GF74

posted on 25/5/06 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trogdor
yeah its wierd to think when that guy builds this light time machine of his, if it works then messages will come from the future straight away. would be interesting to see what is sent back!

yeah there is the whole idea of wormholes allowing "shortcuts" through space. it depends on the idea of space being curved tho.

if we are gonna talk about wormholes then we may as well mention parallel universes. they are really interesting! from the work done on string and M theory which is based on parallel univeres there is apparently 11 diamentions, 10 space one time. instead of 3 space and one time! also from this work they beleive gravity doesn't originate from this universe. It "leaks" in from a parallel universe, this would explain why its so weak!

none of this is fact; physics is a bunch of theories used to describe what we humans observe; then experiments devise to prove/disprove the threory.

Personally I do not believe such a thing as time really exists. We only have a concept of time because we as humans have memories and can remember stuff in the immediate past.

Consider what the world would be like without time. It would be like looking at a movie film frames, but not knowing/remembering about the preceding frame. Everything will be as it is in the frame, nothing has been different so moving items would appear in the place as photographed in the frame.

Furthemore if time travel existed, we would be innundated by visitors from the future - I am not aware of it happening.

flak monkey

posted on 25/5/06 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Now heres a puzzle:

Do the rules of maths exist and we discover them?

Or do we make up the rules to match what we observe?

If the latter why do they happen to work so well in explaining a lot of what goes on?

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

trogdor

posted on 25/5/06 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
well the time travel that i had heard about requires u to build the machine first, as the messages are sent using the same machine in the future that has been buillt. ie as soon as u switched it on, messages would appear that have been sent on the machine u had just switiched on.

but anyways yes all of this is just theories to explain all the things that we can't explain. i do find it all fasinating tho, especially parallel universes. i watched the documentry on it again yesterday. was a good alternative to revision!

time is an interesting thing, especially as it can change without all this physics nonsense, the brain has a time perception area, this means that time can pass quick, ie when u are enjoying urself. or real slow, like when sitting in lectures! so if its slow to u, what is it to everyone else? time is just how u percieve it.

skint scotsman

posted on 26/5/06 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
*ala malibu advert*

i just want to build a sports car

Peteff

posted on 27/5/06 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
My theory.

Time was invented by Man to explain growing old. It's a relative thing like size. A lifetime to any mammal would be the same as a lifetime to a human and include the same events, birth, death and the bit in between but the scale is different. When you're born, time begins and when you die, time ends. You may all have your own theories on this like Einstein did and like to think there are ways to beat the system, but I haven't heard of anyone who's done it yet and I won't be holding my breath till I do either.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

robertst

posted on 27/5/06 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
if we were dogs, or cats, and had a 6 million year evolutionary period like humans, it is possible that, as their lifetime is around 15 human years, a day for us (cats or dogs) would be shorter than for humans.
<<  2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.