Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Run Flats
Pete - Kit Car Zone

posted on 6/11/11 at 01:37 AM Reply With Quote
Yep never been a fan of run flats... I've always relied on a spare tyre and saved the pennies. Done me ok so far (apart from the inconvenience of an alloy corroding onto the hub a few months back!)

Kit Car Zone

sg_frost
Builder

Posts 104
Registered 6/11/02

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Haynes roaster in college with students, gulp!

posted on 17/11/12 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Replaced my runflats on my 325d Msport touring with more Runflats, the cost was in excess of £800, luckily they were done as fronts/backs 6 months apart.

Managed to pick up a nail on a motorway at 70mph and got to where I needed to go, being a mechanic/ college lecturer I didnt want to change the wheel on the side of the motorway in the pouring rain.

The car handled very well with only a slight pull to one side. The tyre was repaired and is still running fine.

I have seen some horrors though of people who have had punctures and carried on. All BMW's have a light to tell the driver of a loss of pressure (all cars with runflats should) but some drivers ignore it, or simply reset it and keep going. Educating drivers is the key to things like this.

Also it does not work if all four tyres are deflated (over time and never checked) as it measures wheel speed from the abs system.

I would not swap them for normal tyres as it handles very well as is, and it saves me from getting dirty and wet changing wheels on the side of the road.

If only they would last a little longer!

Bare

posted on 31/8/13 at 01:01 AM Reply With Quote
Welll... for those unwilling to dirty their fingers and could care less about ride and handling. That! is why some makers fit runflats.
Simple/cheap can of 'Slime' would also give same result.
But where's the bragging rights in that?

Mr Whippy

posted on 31/8/13 at 05:16 AM Reply With Quote
Thread started in 2008!

[Edited on 31/8/13 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Julian Thrussell

posted on 12/11/13 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
155mph on a repaired tyre

You would have to be a retard to do 155mph on a repaired tyre.
If you have a repaired tyre, retire it to a spare as quick as you can.

mark chandler

posted on 12/11/13 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
I cannot see where a tyre that has had a nail or screw puncture straight between the treads be dangerous if repaired correctly, it's hardly weakened the tyre.

If driven for miles flat that's a different matter, let's have some perspective on this please before calling everyone a retard!

[Edited on 12/11/13 by mark chandler]

Julian Thrussell

posted on 13/11/13 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Mark, best you read Andy's funny byline in relation to the retard reference :-)
Ajoasika

posted on 30/5/17 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
16" Run Flats

I have a set of BMW 6793675 16" wheels on a 2011 E90 (320d), with Goodyear UltraGrip Performance 2
M+S fitted as standard. First set did 35k+ miles, and the second set look like they get closer to 40k (currently
38k) The ride is fine, and with the taller sidewalls, there's no drumming like it seems we get on Wife's 120d,
which has 18". There is also some protection for the alloys, which you don't seem to get on the 17/18".
It handles well enough, 60 mpg on a run, although they can be a bit noisy on some surfaces.
The tyres are classified as snow tyres, and work all year round (Lincolnshire), although we haven't had snow
in these parts lately to try them out.
No spare required, and if we do get a puncture, they can be driven at 40 mph to the tyre place, as we did
with the 120d once, and had the tyre repaired for £19.
No jack required either, and point taken about wives and jacks in bad weather.
So I'm very happy with these run flats, and wouldn't change anything.

Mark Hollands
Louth

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/5/17 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
brill a post from 9 years ago...
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.