Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: trigger wheel diameter
blakep82

posted on 12/11/08 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
trigger wheel diameter

i know its best that the trigger wheel is slightly bigger diameter than the pulley, but suppose the outer diameter (outside the teeth) was exactly the same as the pulley... would that be ok? i'm thinking with the sensor needing to be so close, the pulley shouldn't affect the sensor?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

BenB

posted on 12/11/08 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
Presumably it depends on what material the pulley is made out of. If it was made out of a ferrous material it would "mask" the trigger wheel and potentially stop a signal.
mediabloke

posted on 13/11/08 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
You'd also be faced with mounting the sensor at an angle to the teeth of the trigger wheel, which might generate an acceptable signal at low revs, but the current / voltage of the pulses generated at higher revs may not be sufficient to give a constant reading to the EDIS module. I wouldn't consider myself an expert, but I'd be expecting misfires or loss of advance at midrange / high revs if this was an issue.

Hope that helps,

Francis.

triumphdave

posted on 13/11/08 at 01:08 AM Reply With Quote
Mines about the same diameter,but spaced away from the pulley a little bit and works fine.

If you always do what you have always done you will always get what you have always got

iank

posted on 13/11/08 at 01:15 AM Reply With Quote
I'm guessing you've got a trigger wheel then

Put a 5mm spacer (smaller diameter than teeth on trigger wheel and you'll be fine).
Edit: as ^^^ grrr must type quicker.

If you don't already have a wheel already it's probably easier to buy one than scavenge one and have to experiment to get a good signal (I doubt most people have a scope they can use to set up).

http://trigger-wheels.com/ has lots of useful information an wheels in most sizes

mediabloke: I don't understand, why would the angle of the sensor have to change, surely you'd have to fabricate a bracket to suit anyway so would keep it at 90 degrees.

[Edited on 13/11/08 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

02GF74

posted on 13/11/08 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank

http://trigger-wheels.com/ has lots of useful information an wheels in most sizes

maybe so but at £ 20, far too expensive.

contact martinptownsend@aol.com; he'll laser cut you one to what ever size you want. I have 2, don't ask , one a special with a larger central hole that was cut unbelieveably accurately i.e I gave measurement to .1 mm and it came back spot on!. Oh, they are £ 10, I forget if it includes postage.

blakep82

posted on 13/11/08 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
i haven't got one yet. saw one on ebay which was for a mini. the hole in the middle was perfect size for my pulley (as the same size as the recess) but the outside was the same diameter as the outside of the pulley. was still about £18 delivered. better than trigger wheels and their £18 plus post.

I'll try martin townsend though

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

mcerd1

posted on 13/11/08 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
far from locost but I got this made:

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/mcerd1/Dax/08072008059.jpg
http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/mcerd1/Dax/08072008060.jpg

its an alloy copy of a pinto pulley (cortina type) with a bit extra on the front for the ring type 36-1 (from triggerwheels.com)
he skimmed a little out of the centre of the trigger wheel on the lathe to make it a good fit
its going to get hard anodised soon - you don't want to know what the total cost is though

short track 123

posted on 13/11/08 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Nice looking part how thick is the trigger wheel ?

Jason

Shorttrack MotorSport Ltd

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
mcerd1

posted on 13/11/08 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Its 5mm thick

here's my drawing if anyones interested
(to suit a pinto with a cossie crank = +8mm on the nose length)

I've got it in AutoCAD if anyone needs it

[Edited on 13/11/08 by mcerd1]

short track 123

posted on 13/11/08 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks

Shorttrack MotorSport Ltd

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
blakep82

posted on 13/11/08 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by short track 123
Nice looking part

he he he

sorry... emailed martin, looking good so, how much bigger diameter should the wheel be than the pulley?is it just so that the teeth go past the pulley?

02GF74

posted on 20/11/08 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Presumably it depends on what material the pulley is made out of. If it was made out of a ferrous material it would "mask" the trigger wheel and potentially stop a signal.

I don't think the metal to the side of the holes will affect operation.

If ya don't believe me, take a looksee here

MikeRJ

posted on 20/11/08 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
As long as the holes are larger than the tip of the VR sensor it will work correctly. If the hole size is too small, the output of the sensor will be considerably reduced .

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.