Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Skoda Fabia Front wheel bearing
chasmon

posted on 15/11/08 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
Skoda Fabia Front wheel bearing

As per title I'm changing the front wheel bearing on a Fabia (same as polo and maybe golf).

I've removed the old bearing assembly but the new bearing (complete with hub) requires a special tool to jam between the hub and the outer race so you can push it in with the font of the hub...

Why you have to buy a hub and bearing completely assembled is beyond me! Has anyone done this job without the spacer tool. I'm concerned that with the high force require to push in the tapered bearing I'll wreck the bearing or at least damage it...

Any advice apreciated!

[Edited on 15/11/08 by chasmon]

coozer

posted on 15/11/08 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
VW have you over the cash barrel there my friend. We, well my work NSK make the hubs and the saving is the bearing is designed to be integral ie, the outer race of the bearing is the hub.

Cannot for the live of me understand the design thought behind it as there are advantages and disadvantages over the old 'separate' bearing design, especially for the home mechanic.

Just an explanation of the beyond me feeling you have rather than any practical help I'm afraid.
Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

chasmon

posted on 15/11/08 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

the outer race of the bearing is the hub

The inner race of the bearing is the hub...

But then you knew that

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.