Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Advice and Opinion (Pics)
Nosey

posted on 15/11/08 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Advice and Opinion (Pics)

Hi All,

Getting close to finishing the chassis and am wondering if people could look over these pics (apologies for the poor quality). Car is for hillclimbs so engine is moved over to passenger side & back as far as I could, English axle, ST bodywork. Any advice on glaring oversights or basic errors? All opinions welcome.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

[Edited on 15/11/08 by Nosey]

MakeEverything

posted on 15/11/08 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Looks ok to me.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

prawnabie

posted on 15/11/08 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Not that im an expert but will you need extra bracing around the rack mounts?

Shaun

lsdweb

posted on 15/11/08 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Rear diagonal in the cage? Mandatory in the UK - Irish regs ae usually tighter again!

Wyn

MikeR

posted on 15/11/08 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
I'd strengthen your rear trailing arm links with a gusset. They have been known to break.

No diagonal in your rear hoop.

Rear stays look thin (is it all to MSA spec?)

Can't see seat belt mounts

Steering rack should have some triangulation across the width of the car

I'd also build in some ajustability to the steering rack mounting points to dial out bump steer.

Add top triangulation to the engine bay as its for racing.

Read up on the cymitrics / ausie chassis mods to strengthen the car. You can add strength for very little (or in some cases) no weight gain.

Put your shock brackets at the front on the outside of hte chassis rail (makes them slightly more upright).

Cap your tubes to stop water getting in.

Cant really see - but make sure you've got some diagonal steel in the transmission tunnel in case the prop breaks.

Weld in the triangular bits from the top of the rear shock mounts to the 3/4 diagonal going backwards to the rear.

I'll stop now (cause i can't see anything else). It looks good by the way and fantastic sized garage

[Edited on 15/11/08 by MikeR]

prawnabie

posted on 15/11/08 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Ah yeah

The trailing arm brackets def need some support on the outer half, they will bend and snap in not time - I have had this problem on all 4 of mine!

Nosey

posted on 15/11/08 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the quick replies lads.

All good points which have been taken on board, but the only thing that isn't planned/has me worried is the trailing arm supports. Is this a matter of welding some plate (3mm to much?) where I have the yellow in the pic:

Description
Description

MikeR

posted on 15/11/08 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
No.

I'll explain in a mo if i can find a picture.

(edited)

Sod the picture.

The trail arm bracket is half on the 1" steel and half floating in mid air. The half that is floating in mid air should have a gusset on its outside edge to the edge of the 1" steel tube closest to the front of hte car.

Imagine trying to push the outside of the car side of the bracket towards the front of the car. It would bend about the weld onto the 1" tube. By putting the gusset from the outside edge of the bracket you help stop this.

Personally, i've used a 12" bit of box cut in half and drilled for brackets. Adds more weight but it aint going to bend and break.

[Edited on 15/11/08 by MikeR]

Nosey

posted on 15/11/08 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Ah yeah, MikeR, gotcha, hadn't thought of that, will add some gussets here. Thanks for the help
Liam

posted on 15/11/08 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Big shame you couldn't have done the exhaust manifold to allow the engine bay top diagonal on the exhaust side.

Add a couple of diagonals from the lower-rear font-wishbone bracket nodes up to the top-front corners to triangulate the side of the front suspension 'box'.

Looks good.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.