Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Keyless start
mr_pr

posted on 18/11/08 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
Keyless start

Well, how do I do it?

I am looking for a system ideally that I just have a fob near the car and it will start on the push button.

Not really sure what to look for! I have tried searching but not really had much luck.

Anyone done this, or able to point me in the right direction.

Also, is this SVA safe? or will it have to be fitted afterwards?

Thanks

austin man

posted on 18/11/08 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
check out Maplins they usually have remote systems available, at the end of the day you are only looking to make the ignition side live at the touch of a button which is no more than a switch I suppose any off the shelf car alarm could be used as they disable the ignition side when armed should be a matter of cutting out the barrel, I think clifford alarme have a fob rather than a touch pad Must warn you though Im no electrician thoughts anyone else please
smart51

posted on 18/11/08 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Did you see the episode of Top Gear where the mustang had this? Are you sure you want it?
bigrich

posted on 18/11/08 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
I have used one of these to control the ignition on a BEC, just using both circuits inside to split the load.
then a seperate push start button
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=46972#features

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

MikeR

posted on 18/11/08 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
look at bike immobilisers. Bloke on here had one. Left it in his pocket. Got in the car pressed the button and off he went. Got out the car, engine stopped.
blakep82

posted on 18/11/08 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
immobiliser transponder kit is what you're after i think. do wire in a key barrel, and should be done. walk away, immobiliser armed, get near, disarmed, push button, jub done

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

nitram38

posted on 18/11/08 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Transponder immobilisers are only about £30 on ebay, but the bad news is that you need to remove the ignition feed to switch off, so not only will you need a starter switch, you will need a push to break stop switch.
The idea of the immobiliser is to stop un-authorised starting, it does not cut the engine once it is running.
This is in case it dropped off your keyring while you drive!

Werner Van Loock

posted on 18/11/08 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
is this usefull?

maplins

http://www.clubstylus.be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iiyama

posted on 18/11/08 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
You mah boy want one of these:-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOTORBIKE-MOTORCYCLE-BIKE-ALARM-IMMOBILISER-2008_W0QQitemZ190255939230QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item1902559392 30&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1431%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1308

Got one fitted to my car and I can recommend it. And before ya say 'Oi! Thats for a bike!' , a mate of mine asked the guys for one to fit to his Lancia Monte Carlo and they obliged.

As for SVA safe, thats why its fitted to my car!!!

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

mr_pr

posted on 19/11/08 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Ok I will have a look at some of those.

My plan is to either use a proximity activation or remote fob activation of the ignition circuit. Press Engine start to start and then to cut the engine have a kill switch. I was thinking two push to break type switches to kill the ignition (pressed together to prevent accidental engine stop!)

gazzarose

posted on 19/11/08 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
You could use the same push button to start and stop the engine. Just use a relay to switch between the 2 operations,ie when the engine is running the relay sends the signal from the switch to a stop circuit rather that the start circuit.I think thats what astons and all the other keyless cars do.
Criddy

posted on 23/8/10 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
This is what I found and thought about for keyless entry.

http://www.superbiketoystore.com/sport/Electrical/Digital-Guard-Dawg-Keyless-Ignition-System/prod_4788.html

nitram38

posted on 24/8/10 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
About £190?
Hawk fob type immobiliser £20-30.

Criddy

posted on 24/8/10 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
So what would the difference between what I found and what you are suggesting. I'm not looking to use a key at all on my ignition just a push start and a fob for immobilising
nitram38

posted on 25/8/10 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
You install the induction loop behind the dash and put the fob in front of it and it kills the immobiliser.
Usually the loop goes around an ignition key. On my cars I've installed it around the Fia Cut off. Make sure the loop is behind a non-ferrous dash though as a metal one will block the signal.

adithorp

posted on 25/8/10 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
If you're doing it keyless then you need to check how they arm/disarm.
Most of the immobilisers I've seen arm 20-30secs after the ignition has been switched off. If the immobiiser is switching the ignition then how does it arm? Also the disarm is "looking" for a signal from the transformer for 20-30sec after either the door switch or ignition switch have turned on. You'd have to work a way around that as well. A seperate ignition switch as well as your start button would be the odvious way but if you want just one switch...

adrian

[Edited on 25/8/10 by adithorp]

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

dilley

posted on 26/8/10 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
I am having a similar setup on my buggy, I have an immobiliser that you just touch the fob onto the dash, I will then have a latching switch for ignition and a starter button. Job done!
britishtrident

posted on 27/8/10 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
Remote starting is a against the law and dangerous to others.
Your insurance company could hang you out dry if anything happened.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Criddy

posted on 28/8/10 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Not looking for remote start which I'm fully aware of being illegal, but a push start which is different as you are in the car. The reason remote start is different is because you can start the car without being in it (therefore loosing full control of the car)
Criddy

posted on 8/9/10 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Bump! Any final ideas and solutions.

http://www.digitalguarddawg.com/2GOKEYLESS1.html

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.