Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: General checks before going for a spin
polomouth

posted on 2/12/08 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
General checks before going for a spin

I' ve had my indy for about 3 weeks now and have enjoyed every min so far.Even tho the weather has been crap i've still managed a few quick blats. Its without doubt the best thing i've ever done i carn't help but smile whenever i've been out for a drive. The speed and the noise is amazing and the looks u get when u drop it down a gear and overtake people, ha they look at you as if to say what the f#'/k just happened there and your gone to the next set of twisty's . It's been a long 6 years of waiting and saving for this sorry if i've babbled on abit. Anyway i would just like to no what kind of safety checks to the car people are doing before you venture out. Cheers.
tegwin

posted on 2/12/08 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Glad your enjoying it...

I do a lot of flying....and before every flight I pull out the check list and walk around the aircraft.... anything that is safety critical is written on the list and is inspected....

I havnt got so far as to write a list for my car, but I always spend 10-15 mins before each session of driving just checking that all of the suspension, steering and brakes are working and attached correctly......

I need/should use some locking wire and teltale stripes on some of the nuts as they tend to wind themselves undone....

I find if I dont do a proper check I cant enjoy the drive so much!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Mr Whippy

posted on 2/12/08 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
check where the speed traps are

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
contaminated

posted on 2/12/08 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
I always check the tyres - particularly that I have not picked up anything sharp in the garage. I always give the floor a quick sweep before I put it back as well.
nick205

posted on 2/12/08 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
phone
wallet
house keys
appropriate attire for the weather
packa-mac just in case
visual suspension/steering check
tyre check
fluids - oil, water and brake
lights - easy in a dark garage

go drive

MikeR

posted on 2/12/08 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
i've heard a number of people but tipex on the suspension bolts etc - that way a quick walk round shows if any of the important bits have come loose.
Mr Whippy

posted on 2/12/08 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
i've heard a number of people but tipex on the suspension bolts etc - that way a quick walk round shows if any of the important bits have come loose.

After the big nut fell off the handle bars at ‘relative' speed on my CG125 (got a slight fright to say the least!!) I went round all of the visible bolts and painted on lines with red touch-up paint so I could spot any impending doom

[Edited on 2/12/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 2/12/08 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
I've done the tippex trick so I just have a wonder round and check the suspension bolts. After having some lobro bolts come undone I also now pop the rear cover and check those too.....
DIY Si

posted on 2/12/08 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
All I ever check is the oil and water levels. I check all the main bolts once every 4-6 months or so as I've not ever had to tighten one up yet. Other than that, I check the lights, as my car has picked up a habit of eating flasher relays, although I think I've cured it now winter's here!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

rusty nuts

posted on 2/12/08 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Check the bonnet!!
Richard Quinn

posted on 2/12/08 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Tweeks do something called torqueseal or something (can't remember actual name and it's at home). It comes in small tubes of bright colours. You use it the same as you would use Tippex or similar but is supposed crack at the first sign of movement making it fairly obvious that the nut/bolt has moved.
Meeerrrk

posted on 2/12/08 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
that i've got petrol!!

(no gauge you see)

For Sale : 2008 Aries/Stuart Taylor Motorsport Locoblade (954 Blade)

JoelP

posted on 2/12/08 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
snow chains!
sebastiaan

posted on 2/12/08 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
I normally wiggle the front wishbones and cyclewings about and try to rock the rear wheels sideways to check for loose bolts. Then it's bonnet catches and I'm off.

Oil and water get changed at every engine change / upgrade, so there's no need to check those ;-)

DIY Si

posted on 2/12/08 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Meeerrrk
that i've got petrol!!

(no gauge you see)

So it's not just me that braves this then! Although I do have an old cut down broom handle with FULL marked on it in biro!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.