Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 tilt switch......anyone using theirs?
nitram38

posted on 3/12/08 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
R1 tilt switch......anyone using theirs?

I am in two minds about the switch, wether to glue it or use it.
I have opened it up and I saw that the pendulum magnet has to cover the hall switch.
From looking at I understand that the word "UP" has to be up (obviously) and that on a bike it must be mounted lengthwise across the bike incase it should fall over.
If fitted in a bec the same way, could enthusiastic cornering make it operate and cut the engine?
If anyone has experienced this, then glue it up it is, but otherwise I would keep it as a safety if the worse happened.

Flamez

posted on 3/12/08 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
I think it should be fitted in tact as it would act as an extra safety feature should you be unfortunate enough to roll the car.

I doubt enthusiastic cornering would be enough to operate it after all a motorcycle banks over at 45+ degrees. Do that in your car and I guess you are already bricking it....

my build mac1motorsports

adithorp

posted on 3/12/08 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Debatable weather it needs to be glued but I did with mine. UP has to be the top surface not writen the right way up as you see on packing cases.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

stuart_g

posted on 3/12/08 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
I have fitted mine in the same orientation as on the bike. No problems at all so far, car has been driven quick on roads with no problems. Some say that it will give troubles when on track but I can't see that or it would be problematic on the bike.
I fitted mine for safety reasons if the worst was to happen.

nitram38

posted on 3/12/08 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
The thing is with a bike leaning is that the unit leans too and centrifugal force should make the pendulum stay centered.
Cornering with the unit staying level in the bec will mean the pendulem moves.
I just wondered if it moved too much and so cuts the engine....

[Edited on 3/12/2008 by nitram38]

chockymonster

posted on 3/12/08 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
I found that certain movements on large, empty roundabouts caused fuel cut outs.
I've filled mine with silicon and it's been fine since.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nitram38

posted on 3/12/08 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like it is hit and miss.
I think I will fix mine too.
I do have a rover cut-out switch (cuts off if impact occurs) so I will probably fit that to the pump circuit.

stuart_g

posted on 3/12/08 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
I am lead to believe that the tilt switch when activated can only be reset by turning the ignition off and back on so surely if the tilt switch was activated on enthusiastic cornering you would come to a stop as the engine would cut out, so I do not see how it can be activated that way.
nitram38

posted on 3/12/08 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Amazing what you can find!
As stuart_g says it looks like you can only reset by turning the ignition off.
I just found this on the R1 forums:

Lean angle cut-off switch The lean angle cut-off switch stops the supply of fuel to the engine in case the motorcycle overturns. When the motorcycle is in the normal state, the cut-off switch outputs a constant voltage of approximately 1.0 V (low level). When the motorcycle tilts, the float in the switch tilts in proportion to the tilt of the motorcycle. However, the voltage output to the ECU remains unchanged at the low level. When the tilt of the motorcycle exceeds 65 degrees (according to the tilt of the float), the signal from the sensor increases to approximately 4.0 V (high level). When the ECU receives the high-level voltage, it determines that the motorcycle has overturned, and stops the delivery of fuel to the engine by turning OFF the fuel injection system relay that powers the fuel pump and the injectors. Once the cut-off switch is tripped, the ECU maintains this state; therefore, even if the motorcycle has recovered its upright position, this state will not be canceled unless the main switch is turned OFF, and then turned back ON.

And this:

Description
Description

[Edited on 3/12/2008 by nitram38]

adithorp

posted on 3/12/08 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Martin, if you stick it let the silicone or whatever set before pushing it back into the housing. If not it'll move and set in the wrong position. Guess how I know!

adrian

Flamez

posted on 3/12/08 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Debatable weather it needs to be glued but I did with mine. UP has to be the top surface not writen the right way up as you see on packing cases.

adrian

Are you sure? mine is off a kawasaki zx10r and it has the word "up" plus a directional arrow which I presume points up

my build mac1motorsports

adithorp

posted on 3/12/08 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure for the R1.

adrian

nitram38

posted on 3/12/08 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure too because I opened it to see how it works!

adithorp

posted on 3/12/08 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
I know because,
a - I did the same as Martin.
b - I called at a Kit Car firm once and they were all scratching thier heads trying to start an R1 car. They'd been at it all week, tested ECU, coils, injectors, wiring loom, everything. I glanced over thier shoulder and said "Put the tilt switch the right way up". Hey presto, I earned big discounts on what I'd gone for.

adrian

GregMcN

posted on 3/12/08 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
R1 tilt switch

Have mounted mine without silicone/fixing and had no problems - once I noticed the 'up' embossed on one side!.

Cheers greg

RickRick

posted on 4/12/08 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
i also spend a good few hours, on 2 occasions wondering why it wasn't working, the second time was really confusing, because i'd not changed anything with the wiring but it just wouldn't fire!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.