Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: TOP GEAR
Dangle_kt

posted on 8/12/08 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
TOP GEAR

I am fully expecting a "keep up at the back" type link BUT:

Did anyone see the caterham r500? it looked ACE! proper focused sportscar and what a TIME!!! Faster than a Veyron. WOWOWOWOW!

I really enjoyed that.

Even if we did get called a load of geeks

orbital

posted on 8/12/08 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
I thought it looked ace. It just looked the business going round that track. I think the Stig was having fun too with the looks of it. So much better than that German tat that went round before it.

Cheers

Dave

procomp

posted on 8/12/08 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
We shall say nothing.

Just point you in a direction to an ongoing thread.

LINK

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 8/12/08 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
We can only imagine what the Stig would do in a proper bike engine 7. It would also get across to the the middle-aged one that several litres of cc's aren't required.
Taking things to extremes, there's a quick, well-proven, GSXR750-powered Westfield out there that might bring it home to the masses that you don't need 5 litres to go quickly!
I'm sure it's owner/driver would be delighted for the Stig to give it a go. But hey, what do I know, I'm a probably a geek.

http://www.aswmc.org.uk/sprint.htm
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PoEH1kn3HqE

smart51

posted on 8/12/08 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
I did like hammond's use of the term "shed car". I think I'll be using it a lot from now on.
NS Dev

posted on 8/12/08 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem
We can only imagine what the Stig would do in a proper bike engine 7. It would also get across to the the middle-aged one that several litres of cc's aren't required.
Taking things to extremes, there's a quick, well-proven, GSXR750-powered Westfield out there that might bring it home to the masses that you don't need 5 litres to go quickly!
I'm sure it's owner/driver would be delighted for the Stig to give it a go. But hey, what do I know, I'm a probably a geek.

http://www.aswmc.org.uk/sprint.htm
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PoEH1kn3HqE

I think the R500 is rather quicker than most (apart from a few busa turbo) bike engine 7's, I'm afraid!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

iank

posted on 8/12/08 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem

I'd be really surprised if a 160-180bhp bec would go round quicker than a 260bhp cec. Though it might well sound a lot quicker.

Ironically the current unofficial record for the top gear circuit is held by an ultima with a big v8 which I think is around 5 litres.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Nick Skidmore

posted on 8/12/08 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
500bhp per ton for bec is doable without mega expense especially with modern 1 litre engines.

Bec's are short on torque to push the air out of the way compared to cec but at the speeds that we see (from these sorts of car) that's not an issue

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
NS Dev

posted on 8/12/08 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
6.6 litres unless they've changed the engine since I was last over there (which they do seem to be doing a lot at the moment, as American Speed who supply them keep coming up with better ones!!! )

Latest is an 800hp jobbie, still smallblock on single holley carb...........gives just under 1000 hp per tonne

They are doing a Chevy LS based version now as well though which is pretty good.

As above, "normal" BEC won't touch that caterham, I have seen a dax rush busa turbo that might though!

[Edited on 8/12/08 by NS Dev]

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

balidey

posted on 8/12/08 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
But, watching that caterham go round really put a smile on my face, its just looked so damn quick (and a bit twitchy) where as almost every other car going round the track looked a bit pedestrian.
procomp

posted on 8/12/08 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

The point here is being missed. It's all about using a car that can be brought from a manufacturer whith no further modifications. Ie as per production turnkey car. We can all go and modify something and put a set of sticky tyres on to go and beat a lap time.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Triton

posted on 8/12/08 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah but is the Caterham worth 36 grand...!!

No way but I would still sooner have one than any other 7

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

Antnicuk

posted on 8/12/08 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
IMHO
the main reason BECs are quick is the light weight but the R500 only weighs a bit more than the average BEC but with bundles more power and torque.

The average busa turbo Dax would be about the same power and torque as the r500 and with the turbo, it probably weighs the same.

How much would a Dax busa turbo cost?

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

A1

posted on 8/12/08 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
i missed it
AndyGT

posted on 8/12/08 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
does anyone know where I could watch this online? Love the idea of a 7 whipping around the Topgear circuit.

Topgear is probably one of the most missed things I have living in France.

Maybe it is time to invest in satellite TV....

[Edited on 8/12/08 by AndyGT]

cd.thomson

posted on 8/12/08 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Antnicuk
IMHO
the main reason BECs are quick is the light weight but the R500 only weighs a bit more than the average BEC but with bundles more power and torque.

The average busa turbo Dax would be about the same power and torque as the r500 and with the turbo, it probably weighs the same.

How much would a Dax busa turbo cost?

Done properly I think around 18-20K dependent on suppliers (e.g. engine), general "spec" of car and how much is DIY (again e.g. engine). Looks more masculine too .

http://forum.rushowners.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3249

[Edited on 8/12/08 by cd.thomson]

cd.thomson

posted on 8/12/08 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AndyGT
does anyone know where I could watch this online? Love the idea of a 7 whipping around the Topgear circuit.

Topgear is probably one of the most missed things I have living in France.

Maybe it is time to invest in satellite TV....

[Edited on 8/12/08 by AndyGT]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer

neilj37

posted on 8/12/08 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Can be seen here to:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NQfEO-gIqSg

goodguydrew

posted on 8/12/08 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
It can also be seen on BBC iPlayer for a limited period.
matt_claydon

posted on 8/12/08 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by goodguydrew
It can also be seen on BBC iPlayer for a limited period.

Only within the UK though.

mr henderson

posted on 8/12/08 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp
We shall say nothing.

Just point you in a direction to an ongoing thread.

LINK

Cheers Matt

It's a good argument against the use of teaser titles for threads. Anyone wanting to post on a subject should be able to look through the titles to see if it's already been dealt with, rather than to have to open threads with obscure titles.

John

[Edited on 8/12/08 by mr henderson]

NS Dev

posted on 8/12/08 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by balidey
But, watching that caterham go round really put a smile on my face, its just looked so damn quick (and a bit twitchy) where as almost every other car going round the track looked a bit pedestrian.

Summed it up for me too, just looked fantastic, and indeed even my mate at ultima agreed on that, a superb effort by caterham!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.