Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Not all bad news in F1 then!
nitram38

posted on 12/12/08 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Not all bad news in F1 then!

Just watched the news.
One of the changes from 2010 is no fuel stops.
Did they read my suggestion on here?
It would seem that the very thing they put in to "make F1 interesting" is being removed to make it a car race instead of a tactical exercise.

stuart_g

posted on 12/12/08 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
If they take away fuel stops no one will overtake anyone and it will just be a precession of cars going round and around.......boring
nick205

posted on 12/12/08 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
interesting!

Bigger fuel load, shorter race or more mpg...?

nitram38

posted on 12/12/08 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stuart_g
If they take away fuel stops no one will overtake anyone and it will just be a precession of cars going round and around.......boring

I disagree.
Instead of waiting for a pit stop to overtake or put flying laps in, drivers will have to work at overtaking, something that is lacking amonst the drivers.
I also think people like to follow the race as these days the pit stops cause more confusion and make the race harder to follow.

[Edited on 12/12/2008 by nitram38]

stuart_g

posted on 12/12/08 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
quote:
Originally posted by stuart_g

I disagree.
Instead of waiting for a pit stop to overtake or put flying laps in, drivers will have to work at overtaking, something that is lacking amonst the drivers.

Yeah I agree, drivers do seem a bit reluctant to overtake. Isn't down to the aerodynamics of the cars if they get too close to the car in front.
If the rule does come in it will present a big challenge to the car manufacturers and tyre manufacturers to get them to last a whole race.

nitram38

posted on 12/12/08 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Tyres use to last before pit stops.
If they are trying to slow the cars down, then this will help as the drivers will have to look after them. Part of the skill required to be a driver.
Limiting the number of aero elements will also even things out a bit as all these extra wings and barge boards are of benefit to teams with there own wind tunnels etc.

[Edited on 12/12/2008 by nitram38]

madteg

posted on 12/12/08 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
What you want is a diesel, they do it is sports car don't they. Could be the only one to finish, next they will have to run on road tyres or have a speed limit. Sorry i used to enjoy it when they had turbos but now most races are just boring
D Beddows

posted on 13/12/08 at 01:05 AM Reply With Quote
F1 is supposed to be about being the pinnacle of motor sport technology so s*d the cost as far as I'm concerned - not bothered about pit stops either as they add a bit of interest BUT what's wrong at the moment is that there are possibly the largest number of potential race winners in the field for a good while - and most of them are willing to take a few overtaking risks to win races as well - but I can't remember a time when there has been such interference from race officials to stop them doing it........ so I can't be bothered watching because I just get too cross

[Edited on 13/12/08 by D Beddows]

clairetoo

posted on 13/12/08 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
Does this mean the tyre rules are changing as well ? I havnt seen `no tyre stops` reported anywhere ?

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

speedyxjs

posted on 13/12/08 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
Does this mean the tyre rules are changing as well ? I havnt seen `no tyre stops` reported anywhere ?

That didnt work last time so i dont think they would bring it back

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

posted on 13/12/08 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
I may have got hold of the wrong end of the stick here but:-

All you hear from BerniMax is how the the cost of F1 must be reduced. Right?

Surely, every time there's a rule change this increases costs, as the teams strive to incorporate
the change into their car, while trying to remain competitive.

I know nothing of F1 design, but would have thought that fuel tanks big enough to last a complete
race would entail a redesign of the whole car.

It's my bet that if this rule was to be implemented a season or two later it would revert back,
as it has done in the case of slick tyres.

IMHO the race will be won by the best driver / car combination whatever rules are applied.

Change for changes sake?

Paul G

omega 24 v6

posted on 13/12/08 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

All you hear from BerniMax is how the the cost of F1 must be reduced

Well it's not like they make minimum wage themselves is it. Huge sums of money paid by governments/companies just to have the privilege of having an F1 race in their country.

You could set up a 50/50 (not max /bernie ) deal where half of the cash is used to aid the teams with travel etc and reduce the cost to the teams themselves. You can't take it with you Max and Bernie.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

johnston

posted on 13/12/08 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
About time they got rid of fuel stops, they've ruined F1..

As for a precession it wasn't for the decades before hand I'm sure it wont be again... Because everyone used the same number of stops and were in the pits for the same length of time THE ONLY way to get passed was to fight for it..

maybe the days of mansell, senna, prost, berger, patrese, piquet, lauda etc etc will come back..

anyone not old of to remember check you tube of the old dog fights we used to see!!!!

TOO BADD

posted on 13/12/08 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
No fuel stops and no comercials.....less time to fall asleep

scudderfish

posted on 13/12/08 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
It also means cars will handle quite differently through the race as the fuel burns off, which will add to the challenge.
gottabedone

posted on 13/12/08 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
It doesn't seem that Ecclestone really wants to do his bit for the environment or the pockets of the smaller teams in F1 as all of wacky changes are so drastic! More headline makers than something constructive
Maybe phase something like this in over a couple of seasones - one pit stop and then none. Next season is going to see a struggle between developing a chassis to be competetive in 09 or spend your time and budget developing a mobile fuel tank for 2010.

Steve

iank

posted on 13/12/08 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
Remind me which team had problems with fuel stops last season... cynical, moi?

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.