Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Land Rover Help Needed!
jambojeef

posted on 13/12/08 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Land Rover Help Needed!

Now then....

I know theres some closet Landy fans on here so Im hoping you can help me sort my Discovery 200tdi.

Just done the timing belt, after it snapped on the previous owner and now it wont start.

Im thinking it *must* be a timing issue but what I cant figure out is how Ive got it wrong?

I fixed the fuel pump pulley with a drill bit (as Ive read you're supposed to) and lined up the crank and camshaft but when reassembled it just wont fire.

Sounds like theres plenty of compression and fuel is defo getting to the injectors (which I beld btw)

Only thing I didnt do was slacken the fuel pump pulley bolts which I thought was to let you get the belt on easier - was that daft and the route of my woes?!

Any advice gratefully received,

Cheers chaps

Geoff

adithorp

posted on 13/12/08 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
If it had broken the belt then it's probably bent the rocker push rods. Have you checked them?

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

paulbeyer

posted on 13/12/08 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
I had the cambelt changed on my 300 TDi and it was a pig to start after. In the morning when the engine was cold it was like the glow plugs weren't working. It would just turn over for ages and finally splutter into life. It wasn't so bad when it was warm but still not right. I took it back to the garage and they soon found that the diesel pump timing was slightly out. They sorted that out and it has been fine since. I wouldn't be surprised if you have a similar problem.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

peterparsons

posted on 13/12/08 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
Are you sure the cam pulley and the crank pulley were in the correct location - you could be 180 degrees out with the timing
jambojeef

posted on 13/12/08 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
Ah yeah - forgot to mention that I have changed all the push rods and checked the valve clearances.

jambojeef

posted on 13/12/08 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Peter P,

Do you think it could be 180 degrees out?

I agree the symptoms look like that but locking drill bit was in the pump, dot was lined up on camshaft and notch was visible through the bellhousing plug hole.

THats all there is to it isnt there?!

GEoff

peterparsons

posted on 13/12/08 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
OK, sounds like it's lined up OK.
Try cracking the injector pipes and turning it over untill you get fuel out - it could be air locked.

Just slacken the injector pipe where it connects to the injector. Once you get fuel from all of them . Nip them up and give it a go.

mark chandler

posted on 13/12/08 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
As above, fuel pump 180 degree's out.
jambojeef

posted on 13/12/08 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
THanks for the suggestions gents, much appreciated

Peter - I have cracked the injectors and fuel is spurting as you might expect - have nipped them up and still wont work.

Mark - I might be mising something but how can the fuel pump be 180 degrees out when the locking pin [drill bit] will only fit in one place in its rotation?

I am a confessed diesel novice btw!

Geoff

peterparsons

posted on 13/12/08 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Reading all the above - maybe the crankshaft is one revolution out - on Exhaust stroke rather than compression stroke
adithorp

posted on 13/12/08 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Not if the cam is on the marks.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

andybod

posted on 13/12/08 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
both cam and pump have locking pins so you shouldn't be able to get them wrong it is worth checking the crank pulley as the woodruff key can wear the slot in the crank/pulley putting the crank timing out there is a slot in the bell housing to fit a timing pin into the flywheel these dont normally bend valves double check valve clearances and compression test if necessary

[Edited on 13/12/08 by andybod]

rusty nuts

posted on 13/12/08 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Might be the glow plugs not working? Try a squirt of brake cleaner into the inlet .
jambojeef

posted on 14/12/08 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
'tis fixed!

Thanks for all your help and suggestions - as usual its thanks to you guys the old girl is going again so cheers for that.

What it was.........I had the fuel pump locking pin in the wrong place - more 12 o clock than the correct 11 o clock position.

Fuel pump was firing with the piston past TDC and just drawing it into the cylinder then throwing it out the exhaust valves on the exhaust stroke - doh!

Thanks again gents!

Geoff

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.