Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: safety washers.
procomp

posted on 16/12/08 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
safety washers.

Hi

I have had a query from a friend regarding his MNR which raised a question.

Are any of you guys running rose jointed top outer joints rather than the transit joint running safety washers above the rose joint. Seems that they are not provided in the kit and looking at a few build blogs it would seem no one else is running them either.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nitram38

posted on 16/12/08 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Not available in the UK!
I bought mine from Pegasus racing in the usa.
They are like normal washers except they have a raised centre.
I am using them on the F1-2 and motaliera.
I am a bit busy installing my new laptop software, but look in my archive for some pics

Richard Quinn

posted on 16/12/08 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
These...

[img][/img]
Most people use an angled spacer anyway and this can be combined with a decent flat washer. I've seen quite a few front corners with just an allen bolt and the angled spacer and no washer of any sort

[Edited on 16/12/08 by Richard Quinn]

Phil.J

posted on 16/12/08 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Always use rod ends in double shear, and always use quality joints. No need for those washers then. As a general guide, if the joints have a metric thread, they are probably not suitable for use as a suspension component. There are a lot of rod ends made for industrial purposes that were never intended for use as suspension components, these tend to be the ones that fail.
PAUL FISHER

posted on 16/12/08 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
I would say for safety on steering components,and the fact they are only cost a few pence each,they should be fitted.
Volvorsport

posted on 16/12/08 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
mcgill motorsports .

transit joints arent in double shear , and depending on the spec if you have worked it out in load rating the metric ones are ok for suspension, but you normally need to go a size up on the imperial ones .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Richard Quinn

posted on 16/12/08 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Phil.J
Always use rod ends in double shear, and always use quality joints. No need for those washers then. As a general guide, if the joints have a metric thread, they are probably not suitable for use as a suspension component. There are a lot of rod ends made for industrial purposes that were never intended for use as suspension components, these tend to be the ones that fail.

Matt was on about the ones used instead of the Transit drag link on things like the MNR/Raceleda uprights. These cannot be used in double shear.
Like this... (showing the safety washer fitted but apparently no angled spacer to allow full range of motion)

Image deleted by owner
Thanks to whoever the photo belongs to. I just found it on a bit of a trawl.

[Edited on 16/12/08 by Richard Quinn]

procomp

posted on 17/12/08 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

I am indeed refering to the rose joint being used as a replacmnet for the transit joint. Having looked through quite a few pictures of MNR builds i am seeing that most are not using the saftey washers as pictured above.

Example here.
[img]http:// Pic of the upright whithout the saftey washer fitted.
Pic of the upright whithout the saftey washer fitted.
[/img]

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stuart_g

posted on 17/12/08 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp
Hi

I am indeed refering to the rose joint being used as a replacmnet for the transit joint. Having looked through quite a few pictures of MNR builds i am seeing that most are not using the saftey washers as pictured above.

Example here.
[img]http:// Pic of the upright whithout the saftey washer fitted.
Pic of the upright whithout the saftey washer fitted.
[/img]

Cheers Matt

Why don't you or your friend send an email to Marc at MNR if you are so worried, he is the only person who can answer this question as to wether they are needed or not as he is the designer of the kit and supplier of the parts to build it and therefore know the specification of such parts. None of us on here are qualified enough to say.
It would seem from your first post that you think it is a safety issue so why not ask the manufacturer direct before posting speculation on here.
I have never seen the washers you are talking about on any MNR car or picture either but if they were needed then I would have thought they would have been supplied.

[Edited on 17/12/08 by stuart_g]

stuart_g

posted on 17/12/08 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
For all fellow MNR owners here is the U2U'd response I got to my last post on here.
It would seem that one person thinks all our cars are unsafe.

"The guy building the car has asked sombody at MNR and was told they where not needed. Which is very worying if you have ever seen what hapens when these joints let go in this aplication. And they do go quite often espesialy when high quality high angle joints are NOT being used. A bit like the lower circliped joints MNR do not seem to understand quite what they are actualy doing with certain aspects of there engineering."

Cheers Matt

This isn't the first U2U I have had from you regarding MNR/Raceleda parts so can I suggest that if you know better then you had better get yourself over to MNR workshops and tell them where they are going wrong.

DarrenW

posted on 17/12/08 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
What does the safety washer do? Im asking in a general sense for anyone using rose joints - not just MNR's. Does it basically stop the outer rod end body jumping off if the bearing fails catastrophically? just asking as in one of the pics it looks like the ID of the outer body is a bit bigger than the securing nut. Ive not studied rod ends much but wouldnt the outer bearing race still be retained in the body thus making the resultant ID hole smaller and less chance of fully detaching.

Surely if such a washer was required for suspension type rod ends they would be supplied in the kits wouldnt they (i dont mean MNR kits, im referring to the rod ends as purchased)? or does it depend on how the rod ends are used as to whether the washers are needed?

I dont believe this thread is manufacturer specific so should it be put in a general section with manufacturer details ommitted in the first instance? Just a question.

procomp

posted on 17/12/08 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
HI

Non fitment of safety washers in that aplication and the fitting of circliped joints the wrong way round is where they are going wrong.

Are you happy to drive your car with that setup. Knowing that failures are likely to happen unless corrected. After all yes the uprights have failed on numerous occasions. Yes the lower circliped joints have failed in use. And yes the top joint when it fails will not end happily if not using a safety washer.

Cheers Matt

procomp

posted on 17/12/08 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
HI

Yes basically the saftey washer is a larger diameter than the inner ball meaning if the inner ball is pulled out of the outer body it can go no further than the saftey washer. It is common practice to fit the saftey washers in this sort of aplication.

Cheers Matt

Richard Quinn

posted on 17/12/08 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
On the photo I posted of a Raceleda setup, the safety washer appears to be included (but not the angled spacer) and, judging by the cycle wing in the background, this is on an MNR stand at one of the shows. Showing them fitted perhaps indicates an acknowledgement that they should be fitted?
paublo999

posted on 17/12/08 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
safety is good, can anyone supply these in the uk and how much would a pair be? washers surely...

a rod end failed on my old westfield on the rear and I added washers for that extra bit of safety..

My videos http://www.youtube.com/user/ninjabogeyracing

marc n

posted on 17/12/08 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
hi all
appologies for delay, im not getting much time to web surf at the moment, if the uprights have come from us directly safety washers are supplied, or should have been, if they previously came from raceleda / rally design the pins are not long enough to incorporate a safety washer as pictured and a high angle spacer, and fitting just the safety washer will create lockout. so large thinner washers have been supplied by us.In the build manual it does state the use of safety washers. however at some svas they have failed the radius check and have been removed, and maybe have not been refitted

i would urge those affected / not sure etc including matts friend to contact me direct by email with pictures to make sure which setup you have and the correct fitments and applications so we can send the appropriate parts asap

please see pic below that somone posted last week showing a rally design upright with our pins / safety washers / spacers

best regards

marc Rescued attachment upright1.JPG
Rescued attachment upright1.JPG

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
procomp

posted on 17/12/08 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Marc.

Thank you for clearing that up. I can not understand why all the people building their cars have not fitted the saftey washers when they are supplied in the kit. Hopefully all will now follow the instructions in the build manual and fit them to save any problems occurring.

Cheers Matt

Ps Marc remember to fit them to the red car in your photo archive as they appear to be missing from that car also.

[Edited on 17/12/08 by procomp]

stuart_g

posted on 17/12/08 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp
Hi Marc.

Thank you for clearing that up. I can not understand why all the people building their cars have not fitted the saftey washers when they are supplied in the kit. Hopefully all will now follow the instructions in the build manual and fit them to save any problems occurring.

Cheers Matt

Ps Marc remember to fit them to the red car in your photo archive as they appear to be missing from that car also.

[Edited on 17/12/08 by procomp]

There were none supplied in my kit like the ones in the picture so it is a bit hard to fit them. I have just checked the build manual I have and they are not shown in there either. I know the build manual has undergone a revamp so maybe they are now shown.

Just for the record Matt we are not all incompetent cretins unable to follow a build manual building these cars you know and probably not all as perfect and know it all as you.

GeorgeM

posted on 17/12/08 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH

i'm fed up with people complaining about certain
manufacturers kit quality on here without talking to
the designer first.
NO ONE is perfect, and ALL kits have their faults.
I bought my Vortx after looking at all the usual
suppliers, and i'm happy with it.

The safety washers in question were supplied
and are fitted. If some have not got them fitted
they should fit them. Surely this should be picked up
at SVA

The biggest problem is that these cars are built by
amateurs, in most cases with no previous experience.
People also seem to be frightened of talking to the
kit supplier when asking for advise. I know that in the
case of MNR, Chris & Marc will ALWAYS sort out any
problems IF YOU ASK THEM. There is no point in
complaining on here if you don't ask them first.
All kits could do with better build instructions- but at
least you do get some with the MNR kits.

Perhaps the answer is for a more comprehensive
check before being declared roadworthy!!

Get that customer build facility open Marc & Chris,
then you can make sure that the build quality
is as good as your kit quality

RANT OVER- (for now)

GeorgeM

marc n

posted on 17/12/08 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
please guys dont let it get personal, the build manual is partly to blame for the mix ups as in text it mentions them, and in some pictures it shows them some it doesnt

best regards

marc

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
stuart_g

posted on 17/12/08 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
I totally agree with you George.

It annoys me when other people come on here accusing people of not fitting parts and not following the build manual when they themselves know nothing about it.
It almost seems as though all they want to do is make the product look unsafe and question the engineering capabilities of the manufacturer.

Richard Quinn

posted on 17/12/08 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think it's just a case of having a pop for the sake of it. I come from a civil engineering background and have always been told that you never knowingly walk past something that is potentially unsafe. I have always run safety washers on the front corners of my Autograss Specials since I had the centre come out of a rose joint once. That was on grass with a large run-off area at about 60mph and I can tell you that it is still not nice. On tarmac on a country lane with something coming the way and we would all be reading about it in the national press. There have been a few posts on here recently about accidents involving kit cars and it really doesn't do any good for the whole industry.
I don't know the exact background to this particular issue but someone has spotted something that is not safe, not supposedly not safe, just not safe. This has been now been brought to the attention of those that may be affected. According to the OP, the question had been asked of the supplier and the person had been informed that the part in question was not needed. Whether this is correct or not I don't know but the point is that these parts are needed and should be fitted.

GeorgeM

posted on 17/12/08 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
The point is, if they are not fitted, why are
they going through sva

marc n

posted on 17/12/08 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
i still havent heard from the person in question or had a reply to the request of the persons details from matt yet , it is extremely important we get to the bottom of this because if people are ringing us up and being given incorrect information i need to know who / how / where to be able to take action.

best regards

marc

Richard Quinn

posted on 17/12/08 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
The short answer is that I don't know. This is a set up that has been making its way from track to road cars and is still not that widespread. Failures are quite well known in track situations hence the development of the safety washer which is now pretty well known and accepted in motorsport.
As you are aware, the SVA isn't the best assessment of a vehicle's overall safety with the bias towards the safety of people outside of the vehicle rather than those in it. Safety washers would just be another sharp edge issue on the current SVA.
At the end of the day, it is entirely up to people running rose jointed front corners whether they want to fit them or not. As I suggested above, there should be a duty-of-care to provide the appropriate safety related items but it would ultimately be up to the individual end user as to whether they choose to fit them.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.