Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Borrocks
BenB

posted on 28/12/08 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Borrocks

Blimey- there goes my (admittidly rather premature) new years resolution!

I decided to try and start post Christmas like I meant to go on and spend some serious time in the garage today tidying... I have to work in my garage during daylight hours because the rats appear to sleep during the day but come out in quite large numbers during the darkness!!! Lying under a car with a rat watching you whilst having a dump next to your head isn't my idea of fun.

Just as I was getting ready suddenly all the lights go out and I see the MCB has fused.. I then had to spend the next 2 hours taking apart the washing machine to find what had happened, another 30 minutes finding the right bits on the internet etc etc...

Now it's dark, it's cold and my garage is full of rats And I've got to go to the laundrette.....

Arse.

omega0684

posted on 28/12/08 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Rat poison perhaps? rats only appear when there is food, scavengers they are, so is there any thing around the gargae that they are feasting on? where are they coming into the garage, find the whole and then block it up!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Richard Quinn

posted on 28/12/08 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
with a rat watching you whilst having a dump
Although out of context, that bit made me chuckle. Perhaps you need to bolt the bathroom door!

coozer

posted on 28/12/08 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon its time for some sport. Get an air gun with a scope and snipe the little buggers out!

Our council used to give cash for dead rats, not sure if its still the same after all that was about 35 years ago

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

martin1973

posted on 28/12/08 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
you need to get yourself a anti rat device
i suggest a jack russel

martin

BenB

posted on 28/12/08 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
The rat poisoners have been round but they say it takes a while for the rats to "get used" to the poison traps and start eating from them... though there's one hell of a pong coming from my garage and I suspect one has crawled underneath something in there to die.... I suspect the rest of the time the rats where just coming to have a shoofty and squeeze some cheese, they weren't hanging around for very long....

Oh the joy!!!

I did wonder about getting some chairs, some beers and my air rifle but it's a bit blooming cold at the moment.....

omega0684

posted on 28/12/08 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
what about some smoke bombs!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
johnston

posted on 28/12/08 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Probably not a very PC way of dealing with things but one thats supposed to work very well.

catch 1 ALIVE put it in an oil drum or similar and light it the screams will make the rest bugger off in fear of the same happening.

omega0684

posted on 28/12/08 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
or they might be as brave as us brits and and form up with arms and come out with a rebelious attack!

[Edited on 28/12/08 by omega0684]

joneh

posted on 28/12/08 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
I like rats. Hence the avatar. I have a few pet rats. please use humane traps and drop them off in your local woods etc. No poison / setting fire etc please.

Jon

BenB

posted on 28/12/08 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
I don't mind one rat or two rats but seeing 15-16 whilst walking less than 30 feet down an alleyway to get to my garage gives me the heebyjeebies
hellbent345

posted on 28/12/08 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
haha one of my mates has a rat infestation in his loft and stuck some poison up there - they died but then started to rot, stinking the entire house out... so he got some builders expandable foam and blocked up all holes into the house... that sorted out the smelling bit, but good lord what will it be like when he finally ventures up into the loft!! there is a horrid mushy dark spot on one of the ceilings of his upper rooms!!
chrsgrain

posted on 28/12/08 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Ben - surely a bit of warfarin would do it?

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

Simon

posted on 28/12/08 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Our previous landlord knew the rat run, so put a clear plastic tube out of the exit, then wait till they were someway along it, before shooting the blighters

At least it was quick!

ATB

Simon

BenB

posted on 28/12/08 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrsgrain
Ben - surely a bit of warfarin would do it?

Chris

Yeh, sure would but catching hold of them to test their INR is a bit of a pain

Danozeman

posted on 28/12/08 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

find the whole and then block it up!

FInd there hole in the ground and pour petrol down it with a lit match.

Rats are hard little sods. We had them at my mums house after the rabbit food etc. I sat in the garden with my air gun. shot one right in the middle of the head and it still ran away with a trail of blood!! Should have used a 2.2 not a 1.77. Sorry to joneh for this one.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

mark chandler

posted on 28/12/08 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
I,m with Joneh on this, I quite like them.

We see them climbing the tree outside my front room eating berries on the trees, occasionally one gets in the bin, make you jump when dropping something in there and seeing a pair of eyes looking back at you.

Just block up all the holes or trap an release a few miles away. You would never kill them all anyway.

David Jenkins

posted on 28/12/08 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martin1973
you need to get yourself a anti rat device
i suggest a jack russel

Not far from the truth - but maybe for a different reason.

I live on the edge of a village, with a field next door. Occasionally rats come in from the field, but when we had a mongrel terrier you'd never see a sign of them. I think that they could smell that he was around (he was in and out of the garden every 10 minutes) and kept away.

Now the old mutt has popped his clogs we're starting to see the occasional critter.

A local council rat catcher told a neighbour that you'll see them in a garden for a number of reasons: the first is the most obvious - food. Make sure that there's none around to attract them. Saying that, I've seen one shinning up a 10mm diameter shiny aluminium bar to get at some bird food!

The second thing is water - if you have a pond or water feature then they may come in for a drink, if there is nothing more private available.

The final thing is warmth and/or shelter, so a nice cosy garage or shed is an obvious attraction. You can only block up their runs and trap/kill any that are on the wrong side of the blockages. I'm not fond of poison, partly due to the risk of bad smells from rotting rats, and partly because I have owned pets. If they have to be killed, then I'd prefer to use those over-sized mouse-traps - the scaled up to rat sized ones. Howver, you then have to deal with the bodies...

Canada EH!

posted on 28/12/08 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Have go with this, 5 gallon plastic pail, tin pop can, coat hanger wire, some peanut butter. Drill a hole in the top and bottom of the pop tin, put the wire through it, then attach the wire on both sides at the top of the pail, pop can should rotate freely, fill the pail half full of old anti- freeze, and butter up the can with peanut butter, place a board beside the pail. Rats run up the board, jump onto the pop tin which rotates and eventually they fall into the antifreeze and drown, no smell, no problem. Used in cottages closed for the winter here.
David Jenkins

posted on 28/12/08 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't want to empty that pail... bleugh!

ashg

posted on 28/12/08 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
i have a nice little jack russell and she has disposed of several rats, next doors ferrit (got into our garden) and varuous other critters. plus she keeps me company out in the cold :-)

at the moment she is stalkin a mouse that keeps running out from under my build table but the bugger has evaded her twice now

[Edited on 28/12/08 by ashg]

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

BenB

posted on 28/12/08 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Well I suppose adopting a dog is an option!!! A bit radical but at least it'll get me in the garage....
David Jenkins

posted on 28/12/08 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
Jack Russells are fierce ratters - trouble is, they're convinced that they're rotweilers, and nothing will persuade them otherwise! They can also be total a PITA unless they're kept occupied - they're very intelligent, fearless, and serious trouble when bored...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.