<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What next from these interfearing T**TS
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 30/12/08 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
What next from these interfearing T**TS

BBC NEWS
Calls for 'speed-limiting' cars

Speed-limiting devices should be fitted to cars on a voluntary basis to help save lives and cut carbon emissions, according to a new report.

The government's transport advisers claim the technology would cut road accidents with injuries by 29%.

The device automatically slows a car down to within the limit for the road on which it is being driven.

Ministers are planning to help councils draw up digital maps with details of the legal speed on every road.

The system uses satellite positioning to check its location and when the speed exceeds the limit, power is reduced and the brakes are applied if necessary.

It has been well-trialled, and the Commission for Integrated Transport and the Motorists' Forum, which both advise the government, are calling on ministers to promote a wide introduction of the system.

The advisers believe it should be voluntary but say drivers who have tried it, liked not having to worry about exceeding the limit.

However, the BBC's transport correspondent Tom Symonds said the report is likely to be rejected by some motoring groups which believe the government overestimates the importance of speed in causing accidents.

ReMan

posted on 30/12/08 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
Skill and sense limiting device more like!
Nothing wrong with mapping the roads properly so it can be indicated what the actual speed limit is on a sat nav device, but havin the brakes applied for you is another responsibility taken away from the driver. He may as well cloe his eyes too?

speedyxjs

posted on 30/12/08 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Cut carbon emmisions???
Everyone knows, your average everyday car is most economical at 56mph!!!
My Jag does around 35mpg at 80 and around 28 at 70 so i think they need to do something about the speed limits on our roads before they use that as an excuse

mr henderson

posted on 30/12/08 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs

My Jag does around 35mpg at 80 and around 28 at 70

There's something very wrong there. You need to get that looked at.

John

smart51

posted on 30/12/08 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Cut carbon emmisions???
Everyone knows, your average everyday car is most economical at 56mph!!!

Actually, that has never been true. It is an error made by people who didn't understand the old euromix fuel economy figures. The most economical speed is likely to be in the range 30 - 40 MPH. Lower for some diesels, possibly higher for a few cars.

quote:
My Jag does around 35mpg at 80 and around 28 at 70 so i think they need to do something about the speed limits on our roads before they use that as an excuse

That is fairly unlikely. A car will use more power as it goes faster. Rolling resistance is proportional to speed. Aerodynamic resistance is proportional to the cube of speed. Electrical and hydraulic losses are fairly constant. The only factor that affects fuel consumption versus power demand is efficiency. Petrol engines get more efficient as the throttle opens, except at wide throttle openings where the mixture is richened. They're most efficient at maybe 1/3 of engine revs, going off are really high or really low revs.

Are you relying on your car's trip computer for instantaneous MPG? Gradient has a big effect. Don't trust it.

smart51

posted on 30/12/08 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
Speed-limiting devices should be fitted to cars on a voluntary basis to help save lives and cut carbon emissions, according to a new report.

The current government is very authoritarian. Their nature is to dictate policy to the people and demand that they obey. If you don't like it, vote for someone else. Sadly, that most likely means the little weasel from the other lot. That's your choice.

cjtheman

posted on 30/12/08 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
we all know that some electro gizmo can break down so if that happened and a loss of life was result of this who would end up in the dock for it
cheers
colin

wanted

sunny weather

sva pass 12/6/09
taxed 16/6/09

Dangle_kt

posted on 30/12/08 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
It will just be an excuse for your premium to to through the roof if you don't have one. Volentry my ar*e

Ivan

posted on 30/12/08 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
This will never happen - if everybody had one where would they get the income from fines from - more taxes on fuel???

At least then when the accident rate and injury rate goes up from bored drivers falling asleep at the wheel they won't be able to blame speeding any more and will have to find a new scapegoat.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 30/12/08 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, well, 'they've' been going on about such things for motorcycles for quite a while now. As the most regulated road using minority, we'll always see such devices on bikes first.
But, what's driving today? An excursion into Plymouth yesterday, you're totally transfixed on the speedo. Totally oblivious to what's going on outside the car, just focused on the dial, exclusively. Just too many mobile, fixed speed cameras and CCTV covering every inch.
Remove my need to fix my stare on the speedo and I can then sleep. Doesn't matter it seems, speed is everything.

Jubal

posted on 30/12/08 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
I had cause this Xmas to drive through a long 40mph temp limit on a 70mph dual carriageway. As I was in no hurry I decided to set the cruise at 40mph and see what happened. Well, the result is as expected, literally hundreds of cars passed at speeds up to 70mph. Some were abusive as they passed, gawd knows why when they had another lane. Similar to our village, you are stuck behind someone for miles in a national speed limit zone and when they hit the 40mph limit (on a long straight) they speed up ffs!

Anyway, my point is that the limit is often an arse. Mostly limits are self governing and average speeds reflect the way the driver feels, so the only way to slow traffic down (if desired) is via rigorous enforcement.

Speed limits are a political hot potato. You can be sure that the same preachy commentator doesn't drive at the limit everywhere. They will drive at their limit, as do the majority of us. It's time someone started talking sense on speed.

The tricky area is younger drivers and those whose personal limits are artificially high for some reason. My self governing theory breaks down there

edspurrier

posted on 30/12/08 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
My car's a little more economical at 80mph than 70 also.
mr henderson

posted on 30/12/08 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Beats me why people get so cross about stuff like this. What's the problem? Are they upset because they won't be able to exceed the speed limits anymore? The freedom to be fined for speeding is being eroded?

I frequently drive somewhat in excess of the speed limit, but mainly because to do so is available to me, it's right there under my right foot, go a bit quicker, arrive sooner, get this tedious journey over with, maybe get nabbed by a camera. Funnily enough, if I ever ride in a bus or am driven by someone else I don't get upset because they are not going a bit quicker, I relax and enjoy the journey.

Freedom of the need to keep looking at the speedo, to keep looking for cameras, to keep wondering how much extra speed I can get away with I think is something to look forward to, not something to freak out about.

John

omega 24 v6

posted on 30/12/08 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Waste of time effort and our money AGAIN. It'll never work picture the scene everyone .Crashes Usually occur on corners and not every corner can be taken at the speed limit for that particular road so accidents will stay the same or get worse as people try to push on to make up time.

How many times have you been stuck behind 2 or 3 cars in a line that WILL NOT overtake AT ALL?? So you make a move and take all 3 in one go. You of course momentarily will break the speed limit usually by a fair amount. (yes I know it's wrong) but what's the alternative??? MORE ROAD RAGE.

Nanny state's getting out of hand. Average speed cameras are the only thing I have seen that do slow people down (no I don't agree with them either but they do work).

I'd far rather they used the cash to build more jails or put more coppers on the beat.

RANT OVER

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

cd.thomson

posted on 30/12/08 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
Beats me why people get so cross about stuff like this. What's the problem? Are they upset because they won't be able to exceed the speed limits anymore? The freedom to be fined for speeding is being eroded?

I frequently drive somewhat in excess of the speed limit, but mainly because to do so is available to me, it's right there under my right foot, go a bit quicker, arrive sooner, get this tedious journey over with, maybe get nabbed by a camera. Funnily enough, if I ever ride in a bus or am driven by someone else I don't get upset because they are not going a bit quicker, I relax and enjoy the journey.

Freedom of the need to keep looking at the speedo, to keep looking for cameras, to keep wondering how much extra speed I can get away with I think is something to look forward to, not something to freak out about.

John

I suspect you play the devils advocate in every thread on purpose John

mr henderson

posted on 30/12/08 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson

I suspect you play the devils advocate in every thread on purpose John

Not at all. Sorry if it seems that way. What I said above I sincerely believe. I do think that some of the limits are too low, ludicrously low in some places, though I would have to accept that I share the road with drivers of severely limited ability and unfortunately the same limits have to be applied to them also.

John

Rek

posted on 30/12/08 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
I work from time to time with BT guy's who's vehicles have a hard set top speed. They tell me that they have to think quite a bit more about driving and timing things like overtaking on a motorway much like a truck driver does.
Richard Quinn

posted on 30/12/08 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Speed-limiting devices should be fitted to cars on a voluntary basis - I already have these. They're called accelerator and brake.

The government's transport advisers claim the technology would cut road accidents with injuries by 29%. - I suppose it depends what statistical magic they are using and what constitutes an injury. Road accidents will not generally be reduced until all traffic is made to travel in the same direction at the same speed.

The system uses satellite positioning to check its location and when the speed exceeds the limit, power is reduced and the brakes are applied if necessary. - So when you get to that clear, straight stretch of road and you pull out to overtake the artic that you have been behind for the last 20 miles. As the wagon coming into view heading towards you at the other end of the straight starts getting larger and your car decides that "power is reduced and the brakes applied if necessary" just take comfort in the fact that you don't have to worry about the speed limit and that statistically there is a 29% lower chance of injury. Death, however, is not technically an injury!

Richard Quinn

posted on 30/12/08 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rek
I work from time to time with BT guy's who's vehicles have a hard set top speed. They tell me that they have to think quite a bit more about driving and timing things like overtaking on a motorway much like a truck driver does.
I thought that pretty much all trucks were limited now. How often do you see a wagon involved in an accident on the motorway? Pretty much all the time! They have speed limited, hours limited, weight limited etc but it still doesn't stop accidents.
You know yourself if you are in the second lane doing 55mph (because of traffic) the 'kin great big Volvo tractor behind you doing 56mph will continue to close the gap until they either squash you or you move. Maintaining that extra 1mph has become more important than your life! Thats what limiting speed does.

Rek

posted on 30/12/08 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
I meant the smaller vehicles Corsa's and Transit Connects etc..

A straw pole suggests they hate it BTW and people are trying not to renew hoping that the bosses will stop the experiment soon..

personally I think "common sense" is the only rule needed and if you dont have it you dont get/have/keep a license...

[Edited on 30/12/08 by Rek]

mark chandler

posted on 30/12/08 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
I think its more likely to go the way they advocated in Califonia, but its not there yet.

All cars have a GPS locating device with mobile Sim fitted, exists today.

Now if you speed the box makes a call and you get a fine in the post. Next step, wire to the OBD port and data log, if the emmisons are going off it also makes a call so self funding as the car books itself in to a garage. Fail to address emmisions and you get a fine.

The techonolgy is being/was being used by Norwich Union but not for fines but pay as you go insurance.

The government get what they really want, a nice cash cow, for £50 a car paid for by the supplying garage !!!

[Edited on 30/12/08 by mark chandler]

gingerprince

posted on 30/12/08 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
How many times has your GPS system beeped and told you of an imminent 30mph speed camera when you're on the motorway. You know it's on a road under the bridge, but it doesn't. And that's with the GPS system currently non-scrambled as it is. If the 'mericans decide at some point to de-accurify (american word?!) the system during times of war, it'll be even more prone to error.

Imagine everyone doing 70 on the motorway and their cars suddenly braking to 30 because they're going over a road that has a 30 limit.

Ridiculous.

Richard Quinn

posted on 30/12/08 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
The techonolgy is being/was being used by Norwich Union but not for fines but pay as you go insurance.

Was being used but no longer. I wonder why they stopped it.

johnston

posted on 30/12/08 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
And what if your normal numpty is too reliant on the ststem, goes down a road with road works restrictedfrom 60 to 40.

Mr plod sitting with his mobile camera picks him up doing 60 who pays the fine??? can you argue that the system let you down??

rf900rush

posted on 30/12/08 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
We all need to get together as a nation and just stop they Greedy F*****G A. holes using the "Green" policy to control our ervery move.

If they were realy worried about the impact of vehicles, 100mpg + mopeds/motorcycles would be Zero tax rated.

The biggest problem is that the main populus think cars like the Toyota Penis are Green, so there is not enough of us left to make a difference.

Rant over!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.