Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra/Merkur CVs
Alan B

posted on 8/1/09 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra/Merkur CVs

Has anyone got a brief summary on the various CVs used on these models and their interchangeability? As I understand it the Merkur was a German built Sierra for the US market, but may have been sold in Europe.

Any enlightenment will be much appreciated.

Cheers, Alan

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 8/1/09 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
I know Chrisf used a merkur diff in his 7, and that he had thick ali spacers between his CV joints and the diff flange.

So i am thinking he may have used a merkur diff with miata/mx5 shafts and hubs. not really much help but might be worth an email.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Alan B

posted on 8/1/09 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Liam...it all helps.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Canada EH!

posted on 8/1/09 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know about the CV's but the North American Merkur XR4TI used a 2.3 litre Pinto with a Turbo, same as Thunderbird, put out more HP than the 305 V8, so the CV's may be heavier duty. There is a company here in Canada building locosts using the T-Bird diff and front uprights, so they may have the info you need Deman Morosports.
Alan B

posted on 8/1/09 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks again guys....all good info.
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 8/1/09 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
come to think of it, when i said about it im sure Chrisf maintained his merkur diff was a 7.5" one so the shafts and cv's may well be beefier

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

mconley3

posted on 9/1/09 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Alan,
I have the diff and half shafts from a Merkur. The diff is 7.5" and the half shafts are the lobro type (sliding). They bolt to the flange on the diff rather than "pop in".

Feel free to contact me if you want more info.

Mark
mconley3@yahoo.com

[Edited on 1/9/2009 by mconley3]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.