Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Keeping a visor clean
DIY Si

posted on 10/1/09 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Keeping a visor clean

Evening all,
Having been out and about in the toy car today, I came across some freezing fog, and generally cold weather. Now, I wear a Shoei helmet when I drive, and the visor kept freezing up. I rarely have the visor fully shut, it's normally on the first or second click, and the air rushing over it was enough to freeze both sides of the visor at times. I can't shut the visor as it steams up when I breathe, as it would appear that the air flow through the vents is insufficient in the car.
Does anyone know of a way of keeping the visor either warm enough so it won't freeze, or a way that allows me to shut the visor in the hope that it will stay warmer that way?

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

jlparsons

posted on 10/1/09 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Never worn a helmet in my life, I'm sad to say, but have you tried that stuff you polish the inside of your car windows with that stops it misting up? May not be man for the job but can't hurt.

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

philw

posted on 10/1/09 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Rain x anti fog i think it is

Must try harder

zetec7

posted on 10/1/09 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
STOP BREATHING! YOU'RE FOGGING IT UP!!

Seriously, though, there are some good anti-fogging preparations you can use on the visor (both sides) that should stop the fogging in the first place, preventing the freezing in the second place. I do that on my motorcycle helmet visor...

http://www.freewebs.com/zetec7/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paul (Notts)

posted on 10/1/09 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
I have two visors for my shoei, one has the pinlock anti mist insert fitted and it very good. If I use the clear one without it I have to keep it open to stop it misting. The tinted one with the pinlock anti mist insert never mists up.

Paul

as in the link
http://www.bobpickett.co.uk/bkit/pinlock.htm

[Edited on 10/1/09 by Paul (Notts)]

Dave Ashurst

posted on 10/1/09 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
try a "fog city" insert perhaps.
like secondary double glazing in your visor
pretty good actually

D

fazerruss

posted on 10/1/09 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Get yourself a foggy, it looks a bit like a mask that pilots wear. It directs your breath downwards away from the visor.

"if assholes could fly this place would be an airport"

flak monkey

posted on 10/1/09 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Try washing the visor with washing up liquid and just wipe it off. Works quite well i find...

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

rotax78

posted on 10/1/09 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
get a fog city insert for your visor, much better than any visor spray (bob heath etc)
wrigglypig

posted on 10/1/09 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
two or 3 drops of fairy washing up liquid on the inside then "polish" it in with a very soft tissue. Let me know how you get on?

Kev

MakeEverything

posted on 10/1/09 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Exactly what i was going to say. Dont get it wet though.

Ive ridden bikes in all weathers. A Few years back i used to ride my GSXR in the snow to work.

Ive tried all manner of additives and anti fog stuff. Rain X rain repellant works really well on the outside, and washing up liquid on the inside. You can even keep a small vial of it and a yellow duster under the seat.

quote:
Originally posted by wrigglypig
two or 3 drops of fairy washing up liquid on the inside then "polish" it in with a very soft tissue. Let me know how you get on?

Kev

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Dangle_kt

posted on 10/1/09 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
locost option is either fairy liquid, as has been mentioned, or potatoe starch, just chop a spud in half and rub it on the inside of your visor.

apart from those, which work OK (put not brilliant)

I recommend a secondary insert like a pinlock. No fog = no open visor = no frozen visor.

Oh, also helps to click the lid open when you are at lights etc. and then close it when motoring again.

BenB

posted on 10/1/09 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
I recently invested in some anti fog from RainX for the very same reason... Might even clean the inside of my glasses with it for day to day usage!!!
Danozeman

posted on 11/1/09 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Joking aside divers spit on the inside of there visor thing and rub it in to stop the misting. Used to work for me when i was a chav on a 50..

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

posted on 11/1/09 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Si.

Shoei do a breath deflector that clips in.

That and Gloop (or Fairy Liquid) will sort it.

atb

Paul G Rescued attachment breath-guard-s.jpg
Rescued attachment breath-guard-s.jpg

DIY Si

posted on 11/1/09 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for all the advice guys! When you say about not getting the fairy liquid type ideas wet, is that not wet at all, or will it put up with a little bit of spray? The roads round my way tend to stay damp for quite a while after it's stopped raining, and I'm often driving in a light spray.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

posted on 11/1/09 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Once cleaned with Fairy do not touch the visor again with your fingers.
When you lift it, just lift by the edge.

To clean off water spray accelerate to 160mph and turn your head sideways, left then right.

It works on a BEB

Paul G

paul the 6th

posted on 13/1/09 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
as others have said, rain repellant on the outside of the visor, a bit of fairy washing up liquid rubbed into the inside (or one of them fancy fog city visor inserts)

and what I use:

A Foggy Breath Guard

Made from the same material as wetsuits (neoprene?) and sticks inside your helmet with velcro on either side & on the front. Takes a little bit of adjusting to get it right at first, but once it's in, it's amazing About 10 to 15 quid from any decent bike shop

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
RichB

posted on 30/1/09 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a FogCity insert which works really well on my Shoei. It also gets a darker tint as the sun gets brighter (almost clear to start). Double action all the way!
Ninehigh

posted on 1/2/09 at 02:23 AM Reply With Quote
The cheap version of that foggy thing (that facemask wotsit) is to try and breathe on your chin. That's what I had to do when I was on my bike cos the only other thing that worked was fully opening the visor...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.