Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mending hole in the sump
mstepien

posted on 14/1/09 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Mending hole in the sump

It looks like during the grinding of the sump (cast alu of the 2l Zetec 3rd gen - black top) we have managed to get through in one spot. The hole is tiny but it still need to be mended. Is there any technique to get it fixed (apart from buying a new sump). And it won't be possible to tap the hole and block it with a screw as there isn't enough space to get the hole plugged.

Will be really grateful for any help.

Kind regards,

Michal

carpmart

posted on 14/1/09 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mstepien
It looks like during the grinding of the sump (cast alu of the 2l Zetec 3rd gen - black top) we have managed to get through in one spot. The hole is tiny but it still need to be mended. Is there any technique to get it fixed (apart from buying a new sump). And it won't be possible to tap the hole and block it with a screw as there isn't enough space to get the hole plugged.

Will be really grateful for any help.

Kind regards,

Michal

Difficult to advise without a picture which would help no end, can you post one on here?

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

02GF74

posted on 14/1/09 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
TIG or MIG weld it? it needs to be thoroughly cleaned as aluminium is a bit porous so oil will seep in - dunno if that'll work, I've not tried it.

if you cannot do it yourself, then pay someone but check price of s/h sump first.

failing that, glue on a patch..... but will you ever stop worrying about the patch falling off - and how much £££ to fix engine if it does?

Danozeman

posted on 14/1/09 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Chemical metal?

Failing that tig weld.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Peteff

posted on 14/1/09 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman
Chemical metal?

Failing that tig weld.

I'd go with the chemical metal as well. Do it from both sides.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 14/1/09 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
I would dril the hole through and push a turned top hat button in from the inside, seal with some P55, job done. you could even thread the end of the button and screw on a securing nut.

I pre empt everyone saying you can't use sealants in the presence of oil or hydrocarbons, you can, ive done it many times, and it works very well

or tig weld for best repair

[Edited on 14/1/09 by liam.mccaffrey]

[Edited on 14/1/09 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

BenB

posted on 14/1/09 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
I would use techoweld or something similar like that. I've used it in the past and its good for this kind of job.

Have a shoofy at the videos on

http://www.aluminumrepair.com/

Good stuff

BenB

posted on 14/1/09 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Oops, sorry US site.

Try

http://www.aluminiumrepair.co.uk/hts2000.html

britishtrident

posted on 14/1/09 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
Chemical metal --- long ago long ago I fixed a big hole in the alloy case of BW35 from an 1800 Landcarb using Belzona chemicsal metal 100% success was still doing the job 60,00 miles later.
JohnN

posted on 14/1/09 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for an aluminium solder type solution (technoweld? or similar)

Low temperature, flow it over the local area, couldn't be simpler - unless the sump is porous and contaminated with oil.....

nitram38

posted on 14/1/09 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Don't bother with any of that chemical metal etc.
I have worked on so many sumps that I can tell you that the only way to do it is to have it tig welded.
All of the other methods will work.....for a while, but hot oil and vibration will eventually win.
Do you want to lose your engine?
Take the sump off and get it done properly.

r1_pete

posted on 14/1/09 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
However you repair it I'd paint the inside with this

JB Weld and that paint may be a reasonable solution......

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
afj

posted on 14/1/09 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
NEW SUMP FROM SCRAPPY

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

02GF74

posted on 14/1/09 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JohnN
Another vote for an aluminium solder type solution (technoweld? or similar)

Low temperature, flow it over the local area, couldn't be simpler - unless the sump is porous and contaminated with oil.....

worth a go but for something as big as a sump = BIG HEAT SINK - you are gonna need one hell of a blow torch!!!

beware that local heat will distort the sump, and when it cools, the blob of technoweld may rip out as the sump reverts to its original shape (I had this on a LR tailgate)

02GF74

posted on 14/1/09 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
However you repair it I'd paint the inside with this.

damn, I still followed the linky yet I knew it was glyptol.

Goo to RPI webstie where they show the interior of an V8 engine painted with this or possibly similar stuff - same colour anyway - which subsequently failed due to oil blockage.

I woldn't use it, but hey, it;s not my engine!

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 14/1/09 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
If you're not gonna tig weld it I still think mine is the safest

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

BenB

posted on 14/1/09 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74

worth a go but for something as big as a sump = BIG HEAT SINK - you are gonna need one hell of a blow torch!!!

Nah. Little torch and 45 minutes in the domestic oven @ full wack.

Domestic oven's will get to 250degC+ easily. That an some blow-torching does the trick nicely Then the heat isn't so localised, a slower cool-down, less risk of cracking etc etc etc.....

I've done experiments with technoweld and it's serisously strong sticky stuff. >4x stronger than an epoxy bond (and JB weld would no doubt do the job just fine!!!)....

BenB

posted on 14/1/09 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
then again, size of oven might be a problem with boat anchor sumps....

Oh the advantage of BEC shines forth yet again

jacko

posted on 14/1/09 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Do it right and get it welded Mig or Tig
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Trev D

posted on 14/1/09 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Tig it.
BenB

posted on 14/1/09 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
Technoweld. You know it makes sense.

I did a little experiment to see how strong this stuff is. I cut a 40mm long and 3mm wide strip of 3mm thick aliminium. I put it on a 3mm thick piece of ali sheet so that 20mm was on the sheet and 20mm was over the edge. I technowelded the strip in place (total fillet joint of 43mm).

I then inverted the sheet of metal so the ali stick was underneath the sheet, held in place by the technoweld. I then noosed some string around the stick where it met the sheet and started hanging weights on the other end of the string.

I got to 20kg before the 3mm sheet of ali started bending. There was still no sign of the technoweld breaking. I got rather scared at this point on the basis that when 20kg suddenly fell off it was likely to break my kitchen floorboards ( ) and the sudden pinging would likely make my workbench self-destruct. A similar araldite experiment BTW reached 13kg IIRC before the bond broke....

Considering the fact that a sump contains very little pressure (may even run at slight vacuum with a dry sump) and the only pressure the weld will be under will be 20cm or so of oil I really wouldn't worry!!!! In my book TIG is major overkill. JB weld would be enough if you notched the hole slightly on both sides. If you end up with a >< shape bit of JB through the hole how the hell is it going to fall out unless the middle piece fractures... Some technoweld would be even better....

mstepien

posted on 19/1/09 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the good advice, guys. Seeing that I have to take off the sump anyway and the work will cost me the same as buing a "new" used sump at the breakers. Plus the hassle of finding somebody here in Belgium who will get the work done. I just need to pay more attention not to pierce the second sump.
Thanks again and kind regards to all.
Michal

02GF74

posted on 21/1/09 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB

Nah. Little torch and 45 minutes in the domestic oven @ full wack.

Domestic oven's will get to 250degC+ easily. That an some blow-torching does the trick nicely Then the heat isn't so localised, a slower cool-down, less risk of cracking etc etc etc.....

You have an oven? That is luxury. There is fourteen of us living in milk carton with nothing more than our own breath to warm our bacon butties.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.