Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Where did Alfa Romeo go wrong
rf900rush

posted on 14/1/09 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Where did Alfa Romeo go wrong

Why are their moden cars not like this one.
Just look at the spec. shame I was never produced.

Linky

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
clairetoo

posted on 14/1/09 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Thats sweet - looks a lot like a P4 - I would love to hear what an Alfa two litre V8 sounds like at 8800 rpm

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

mookaloid

posted on 14/1/09 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
Perhaps you haven't seen the 8c competitzione

8c
8c

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

designer

posted on 14/1/09 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
They make great looking cars, but never leave a decent place for the number plate!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jimgiblett

posted on 14/1/09 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
The New Alfa 8C is rather nice but I know where you are coming from.

Due to design specifications (Safety, Economy, Emissions, Manufacturing Cost, Accesible target market) Alfa like nearly all manufacturers are pressured to make cars with the soul and style of a microwave oven.

- Jim

mookaloid

posted on 14/1/09 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
Actually of all the manufacturers I think Alfa make one of the biggest efforts to create attractive cars which are good to drive.....

dhutch

posted on 15/1/09 at 01:01 AM Reply With Quote
Agreed.

At uni all the sports trainer/lecturer type people seam to drive alfas, and to get to the engineering dept i cycal past there car park which has about three 159's and five 147's along with other asorted alfas and simular cars.
- Gits! The engineering carpark has far talent, even if there is a elise and a few other classic drivers cars.

Daniel

02GF74

posted on 15/1/09 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
Actually of all the manufacturers I think Alfa make one of the biggest efforts to create attractive cars which are good to drive.....

what about Audi? IMO at the mo' Audi make the nicest looking cars across the full range, I think they drive fairly well too but that is guesswork.

jimgiblett

posted on 15/1/09 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I agree they make much more of an effort than most but they started much better too. Shame that there are no RWD Alfas other than the 8C anymore.

- Jim (alfa fan)

idl1975

posted on 15/1/09 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
Thats sweet - looks a lot like a P4 - I would love to hear what an Alfa two litre V8 sounds like at 8800 rpm

It sounds like this

Rrrrrrrrrrrowwwwrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Ping!

Thunk!

*silence*

*Weeping, in Italian*

Edit: disclaimer - as cars go, I like Alfas, but I wish they'd should give up on the FWD Fiat nonsense and build a small, properly lightweight (sub 1000 kg) RWD saloon or hatch. I'm thinking of a 1300 GT Jr, of course, but rust proof!

[Edited on 15/1/09 by idl1975]

[Edited on 15/1/09 by idl1975]

jimgiblett

posted on 15/1/09 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by idl1975
Edit: disclaimer - as cars go, I like Alfas, but I wish they'd should give up on the FWD Fiat nonsense and build a small, properly lightweight (sub 1000 kg) RWD saloon or hatch. I'm thinking of a 1300 GT Jr, of course, but rust proof!

Here's my current Alfa.

Linky

Fairly standard bar a 2ltr engine and lightened flywheel. Roughly the same price as an e-type when first launched. Keeps up well with modern cars but without any of the safety features

- Jim

mistergrumpy

posted on 15/1/09 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Where did Alfa go wrong? They went to FWD and then got blind monkeys in to wire them! Using substandard gear and then they put fat ignorant swines in their dealerships, usually in the parts departments and then screw you on the parts prices too.
Awesome looks and exhaust note though

mookaloid

posted on 15/1/09 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:

what about Audi? IMO at the mo' Audi make the nicest looking cars across the full range, I think they drive fairly well too but that is guesswork.

I did say 'one of' the biggest efforts

Trev D

posted on 15/1/09 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
I am restoring the body work on a Alfa Tipo 33 Stradale at the moment it's an absolutely stunning looking car I think it has to be one of my favourite Alfa's so far that I have worked on. I don't think there are many of these left because there wasn't many made. When I get the car a little more complete I will post a couple of pics.

Atb Trev

mookaloid

posted on 15/1/09 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Trev D
I am restoring the body work on a Alfa Tipo 33 Stradale at the moment it's an absolutely stunning looking car I think it has to be one of my favourite Alfa's so far that I have worked on. I don't think there are many of these left because there wasn't many made. When I get the car a little more complete I will post a couple of pics.

Atb Trev

Please do - I'd like to see that

iank

posted on 15/1/09 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Atb Trev

Only 18 made according to wikipedia, pretty, but would look better in another colour IMO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_33_Stradale

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Volvorsport

posted on 15/1/09 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
19 iirc .

6 made it to the road .

ive had the pleasure of sitting in a proper one . if your over 5 8 tho , itll be no good to you .

[Edited on 15/1/09 by Volvorsport]

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

gazza285

posted on 16/1/09 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
Where did Alfa Romeo go wrong?

Rust proofing and reliability, comfort and price. Heard the latest ones are better apart from the reliability and price.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

britishtrident

posted on 17/1/09 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gazza285

Rust proofing and reliability, comfort and price. Heard the latest ones are better apart from the reliability and price.

You left out the Magneti Marelli electrics.
The fact is Alfa-= FIAT no matter what modern Alfa owners say you can't get away from that.
Even back in the old days when they were an independent company they still used an awful lot of FIAT parts including bit items such as the 5 speed gearbox.

But they had lovely engines and were how usually wonderful to drive -- especially if like me you had short legs and long arms.

However not all Alfas from the classic era were good looking ---- some salons were so ugly I trouble finding a picture.

[Edited on 17/1/09 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

gazza285

posted on 17/1/09 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Much as I know how bad they can be I still had a Guilleta and a Cloverleaf Sprint, both were unbelievably awful, but I still bought them.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

Valtra

posted on 18/1/09 at 01:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:

The R8 and recent S4 are good to drive the rest are prety poor for the money . They are well built and finished off with precission and despite the recent trend to gaping mouths still look classy. In fact in driving terms, this thread could have read where did Audi go wrong ? as between the last of the 20v Torsen Quattro coupes and the R8 they all have stodgy handling by all acounts

[Edited on 18/1/09 by Valtra]

"If it looks like it works and it feels like it works, then it works"

Valtra

posted on 18/1/09 at 01:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Atb Trev

Please do - I'd like to see that

Here Here !!!I built an Airfix kit of a Tipo 33 as a kid . leeeervly

Valtra

posted on 18/1/09 at 01:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:
Originally posted by gazza285

You left out the Magneti Marelli electrics.
The fact is Alfa-= FIAT no matter what modern Alfa owners say you can't get away from that.
Even back in the old days when they were an independent company they still used an awful lot of FIAT parts including bit items such as the 5 speed gearbox.

But they had lovely engines and were how usually wonderful to drive -- especially if like me you had short legs and long arms.

However not all Alfas from the classic era were good looking ---- some salons were so ugly I trouble finding a picture.

[Edited on 17/1/09 by britishtrident]

The picture you found is a very delicate prety car to my eyes (biased but Experienced) when viewed alongside it's contemporaries . Morris Marina anyone?

idl1975

posted on 21/1/09 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, but it does have 4 wheel disc brakes, right? See, a modern safety feature!

Gorgeous! You lucky so and so, etc. etc.

Edit - I agree with Valtra - that's actually a _nice_ saloon if you think about what was being made at the time.

Unfortunately they missed the boat with the MiTo. Far, far too heavy. Didn't Fiat manage sub-1000kg with the Panda? Not sure why Alfa can't do it. Ho hum.

quote:
Originally posted by jimgiblett
quote:

Here's my current Alfa.

Linky

Fairly standard bar a 2ltr engine and lightened flywheel. Roughly the same price as an e-type when first launched. Keeps up well with modern cars but without any of the safety features

- Jim

[Edited on 21/1/09 by idl1975]

Valtra

posted on 21/1/09 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Ah, but it does have 4 wheel disc brakes, right? See, a modern safety feature!

Gorgeous! You lucky so and so, etc. etc.

Edit - I agree with Valtra - that's actually a _nice_ saloon if you think about what was being made at the time.

Unfortunately they missed the boat with the MiTo. Far, far too heavy. Didn't Fiat manage sub-1000kg with the Panda? Not sure why Alfa can't do it. Ho hum.

quote:
Originally posted by jimgiblett
quote:

Here's my current Alfa.

Linky

- Jim

[Edited on 21/1/09 by idl1975]

Love the GTV i wish I had either in my little (an apt word) collection

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.