Poll: Gearstick or paddle shift... who has what? [View Results]
PADDLE SHIFT
GEARSTICK

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Gearstick or paddle shift... who has what?
Major Stare

posted on 16/1/09 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
Gearstick or paddle shift... who has what?

Who has a Paddle Shift and who has a gearstick in there BEC.

I cant decide

Any Pro's and Con's, i would be interested to hear

Jon "FISH"

YQUSTA

posted on 16/1/09 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
I cant vote as the option for both is missing

I like the paddles for easy changes

but I also like having back up just in case and putting into neutral

[Edited on 16/1/09 by YQUSTA]

[Edited on 16/1/09 by YQUSTA]

Guinness

posted on 16/1/09 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
I have a gearstick and find it great to use on the road, intuitive. But sometimes on the track I wish I had a paddleshift as there are times when I'd like to steal a quick gearchange in between direction changes.

I didn't bother fitting a paddle shift during the build, as I wanted to keep the build cheap, quick and simple. It is a future modification that is in the pipeline.

Cheers

Mike

locoR1

posted on 16/1/09 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
Changed from gear stick to a pathfinder paddle shift last winter and never looked back.
Although the sequential stick change was very good the paddle shift is so much better you just cant beet two hands on the steering wheel.

Whatever you decide they are both good!

Description
Description
Check out my CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

antonio

posted on 16/1/09 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
i have gearstick on my MK indy, and paddles on MNR.only track use for both, but i prefer gearstick.not quicker with paddles, it only allows you to keep your both hands on wheel.just a matter of habits IMHO.
cheers

Si

posted on 16/1/09 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
If funds and time allow definitely go paddle shift, make sure the design suites you though.
If its smooth and light to use you will get used to the change and appreciate it. If its stiff and clunky you will wish you had gone for a gearstick.
As already said, great to be able to change gear at any time and kep both hands on the wheel.

Si

Gergely

posted on 16/1/09 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
We have gone for the paddleshift. If I recall correctly, it means 0,7 sec around a track according to MNR. Also, it is no wonder all major car manufacturers put paddles in their sportscars nowadays, it is more intuitive I think...

Edited to add: Our car is not on the road yet though...

[Edited on 16/1/09 by Gergely]

Our build pictures

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mackei23b

posted on 16/1/09 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a gear stick, but quite fancy some paddles, perhaps the next project!
eznfrank

posted on 16/1/09 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Me too, gearstick to keep costs down and then will consider it after SVA.
Steve Hignett

posted on 16/1/09 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
I upgraded to Paddleshift after having stickshift from manufacturer - wished I'd done it in the first place as it was SO much better!

Then again I made it all myself and it cost me about £20 for everything so no big deal.

ATB

(photos in archive, I think if wanted/needed) ETA - Photos in worX's archive if wanted!

[Edited on 16/1/09 by Steve Hignett]

Moorron

posted on 16/1/09 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
When i got my car (pre built) it was gearstick but after about 6 months i moved to paddles. What i noticed was this:

1, Gearstick is great for the sunday poodle about. It lets you rest one arm on the tunnel and just drive with the other.

2, when it all goes wrong and you flapping your hands on the wheel trying to regain control a gearstick doesnt get in the way.

BUT paddles are:

1, great when hoofing it about, quicker and safer IMHO

2, cool factor, so many people who think it great when at a set of traffic lights and you knock it into first with the paddles.

3, When drifting the car (or loosing control) its easier to change gear if your hitting the rev limit.

All in all i hated paddles for about 1 hour after fitting them, then i got use to them and would never go back.

Edit!

i used pathfinders kit, but only used the paddle part, reinforced them (i thought they flexed to much) and then made my own linkage which included thrust bearing to make it feel smooth.

Pathfinders kit is great for the money, definatly get a set off him if you can contact the guy.

[Edited on 16/1/09 by Moorron]

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

A1

posted on 16/1/09 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
ive got a gearstick thats really long, so i can keep most of my hands on the wheel, only taking a finger off to change. i think it looks pretty snazzy too.
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 16/1/09 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
I've tried a few:

One of the very few times I've missed a change in the gearstick car:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=h4-p58KlDYY

BUT, for directness and positivity, a gearstick has my vote.

A close 2nd comes the cable/paddle assembly (sorry, no video). In this case the AB performance set-up. Andy has configured this for the Sierra column, so if you've got a narrow(er) column - in my case a Westfield race top bush assembly - you've got to cut and weld a few things.
I like it (a lot) but the effort is quite large (OK, I have Carpal Tunnel so not so good). It's not *as* positive, but keeping both hands on the wheel is a hard-to-beat bonus. Are my circuit times quicker - NO.

The electric solenoid/ignition cut paddle set-up isn't my favourite. It's so 'remote', but certainly does the business. Again, all the bonuses of keeping your hands on the wheel, but at some risk of reliability for competition. It's great on the road though!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_e2tIaFbFhE

So yep, just choose, whatever suits. You've already made the main choice with a hairdrier powerplant.

gingerprince

posted on 16/1/09 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
"both" would be my vote, too.

I fitted electric paddle shift, but retained the manual stick as well, because the manual gives me a backup plan if the solenoid plays up.

Also, I find that, whilst the paddle shift with ignition cut is great on track and fast road (and it IS great!), the fact that it's setup for very fast changes makes it harsh when you're pootiling.

By keeping the stick, I can granny-shift when in traffic or just not ringing its neck.

Also, with the ignition cut, I find if I'm just pootling on part-throttle that I get horrible bangs from the exhaust (not nice pops). I'm assuming this is a combination of it running rich on part-throttle, and cutting the ignition so there being too much unburned and "bang!"

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 16/1/09 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerprince

Also, I find that, whilst the paddle shift with ignition cut is great on track and fast road (and it IS great!), the fact that it's setup for very fast changes makes it harsh when you're pootiling.

By keeping the stick, I can granny-shift when in traffic or just not ringing its neck.

Why not stick with the paddle shift but switch off the Flatshifter/Quickshifter when "pootling" and do clutch changes?

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

gingerprince

posted on 16/1/09 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sucksqueezebangblow
Why not stick with the paddle shift but switch off the Flatshifter/Quickshifter when "pootling" and do clutch changes?

Mainly because I haven't got around to wiring in my override switch anywhere accessible yet

hobbsy

posted on 16/1/09 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
I've only got a stick on the moment but I'm planning to fit paddles with a linear actuator (leccy shift thing). However as others have suggested I will retain the stick.

I also have a trickshifter but the blip for downshifts is currently disconnected until I get it setup a bit better.

I don't find the ignition cut annoying when pootling, I only tend to find I get pops when I'm driving the car hard, shifting at or near max revs. And then its not a nasty bang just a loud crack, much like you hear from the drag bikes at santa pod using pretty much the same system.

Talking of which I need to get out there now and get cracking

SPYDER

posted on 16/1/09 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Here's our as yet untried paddle shift in our Phoenix. It's made from Titanium, just to be different.
A question for those of you with experience of paddle shifts. How far do you move the paddle to change gear? 20mm? 15mm? 10mm?
I have yet to make the lever at the other end of the cable so I can arrange for whatever amount of movement I desire. What would be a reasonable figure?
Geoff.

[img][/img]
[img][/img]

matt.c

posted on 16/1/09 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone got any prices for these paddle shifts kits (paddles and cable)? I think i might want one now.

hobbsy

posted on 17/1/09 at 01:36 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm I like the way Ti bits go all coloured when heated Reminds me of the full Ti exhaust system I had on my 200SX (S14a) only weight about 5Kg vs ~15Kg for a stainless one, wafer thin flanges etc... (hehe)
SPYDER

posted on 18/1/09 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbsy
Hmm I like the way Ti bits go all coloured when heated

A few more Ti bits then....
Full Ti exhaust and anti roll bar "blades".

[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

grazo

posted on 5/2/09 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
paddles

we at flatshifter do some nice paddles to go with our (or anybody else's electric gearshift system ) also clutchless up & down gearshift systems go to www.flatshifter.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.