Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: anyone using wireless on ubuntu??
johnston

posted on 21/1/09 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
anyone using wireless on ubuntu??

Thought i'd give ubuntu a go as
vista is doing my head in!!

done a duel boot everything seems to be a good job except I cant get my wireless dongle to work!!!

alot of what i've found on the net is gibberish to me.

Anyone on here know what to do?

rodders

posted on 21/1/09 at 12:51 AM Reply With Quote
Yep I'm using it, what's the problem? Can't find your network? dongle isn't know by the computer?
Dangle_kt

posted on 21/1/09 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
I had a problem with puppy linux and a wireless card - i just googled:

puppy linux wd-12392 (or whatever the card was called)

And read what came up, just do the same, but make sure you type the correct dongle make/model in.

You will probably find that a wrapper will work - I'm new to it all but as far as I can tell it utilises a driver for windows inside linux, and the wrapper lets it all talk to each other.

britishtrident

posted on 21/1/09 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Depends very much on the wireless dongle as some have proper Linux drivers available some don't and I have never got the method of using a windows driver in a wraper to work..

Last year I know that Mint came with more native wireless drivers than Ubuntu but this may/should no longer be the case as Mint development feeds back into Ubuntu.

I use one of the very cheapest no-brand dongles bought from ebuyer and it allows me to connect to either of my networks from mint Linux without problem, I also have a Sweex dongle that I can't find linux drivers for.

[Edited on 21/1/09 by britishtrident]

idl1975

posted on 21/1/09 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
I've been through this with Redhat, Ubuntu and SuSE distributions.

The biggest problem with Ubuntu is wireless devices. You are basically taking pot luck with any wireless card or dongle that the device is supported. And I don't just mean the brand, but the firmware and the PCB below that, which can be very hard to figure out before you buy.

My suggestion would be to borrow as many as possible from friends and colleagues and then swap them yours when you find one that works.

I couldn't find a clearly supported wireless card for my PC and went back to Windows. If and when I have a wired internet connection, I'll consider going to Linux.

quote:
Originally posted by johnston
Thought i'd give ubuntu a go as
vista is doing my head in!!

done a duel boot everything seems to be a good job except I cant get my wireless dongle to work!!!

alot of what i've found on the net is gibberish to me.

Anyone on here know what to do?

johnston

posted on 21/1/09 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
I've now managed to install the windowsdrivers using the ndiswrapper.

But when I plug the dongle in it just freezes. ssometimes just loose the functions from the menus and keyboard sometimes it freezes totally

cd.thomson

posted on 21/1/09 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
I use feisty fawn with ndiswrapper. Sounds like there may be a problem with the install and you might have to start again.

take heart in the fact that if youve got this far then you really are nearly there! Youre over the worst!

(and as a new user be proud that youve sorted out ndiswrapper, youre probably looking at some of the hardest stuff youll have to do as a standard home user).

Craig

rodders

posted on 21/1/09 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
ndiswrapper is a bit of a horrible patch. What version of ubuntu are you using and what's the make + model of your dongle?

Regards

Rhod

johnston

posted on 21/1/09 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
its the henry heron version I think

was trying a d-link, but dugout another one (zyxel) that came from a router that got dropped installed the drivers through the ndiswrapper and jobs done

1st impressions

internet is faster even though its downloading an update at same time !!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.